🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How to get a refund from Spark energy

Options
Hello,

I was a Spark energy customer, and couldn't wait to leave them as the prices never stopped rising!

So when I moved house in November it was the perfect time to leave and go somewhere cheaper. I filled out the cancelation form via email, and received an email back confirming my cancelation had been received.

I rang them a few days later too, just to confirm I would receive any money back that I was currently in credit for. The advisor confirmed that I would be sent a refund via the post to my new address.

A month later, I had still not received any money, and I had been billed again by Spark energy for the property I no longer lived in, and had cancelled my energy supply to.

I went on the Spark energy website in order to contact them again, noticing that they were now owned by another supplier called OVO. I sent my email anyway, receiving an email back stating they would contact me within 5 days.

It's now been 17 days since then, and now I'm doubting I'm going to get any money back, which now totals several hundered pounds.

What can I do in this situation?

Thanks in advance
Tom.

Comments

• Thomas_Edison
    Options
    Ovo are a generally good company but have just taken on 500,000 + customers when they had less than a million before so imagine they're extremely busy atm.

You can raise a complaint with Ovo and if that doesn't skip you to the front of the queue you'll be able to go to the ombudsman after 8 weeks.

Unfortunately you're probably just going to have to give it time
  • rubble2
    rubble2 Posts: 549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When we moved house just before Christmas Spark was the energy provider at the new property, first thing I did was to arrange to move to a different supplier which took effect on 1st
    January. Spark sent me a final bill on 17th January asking for payment by 26th. I paid in full on the 25th and got an emailed receipt for the payment.

Every day since the 17th January I have received both a text and email from Spark reminding me that the bill was now due for payment, I assumed that once they received the payment (in advance of the due date) the emails and texts would stop - but no, today I got an email from them saying the bill was 'Seriously Overdue' (2 days after the due date), and that they were getting ready to pass it to a debt collection agency.

I have just rung them and they have confirmed that the account is cleared - totally incompetent. Really glad I moved away from them.
  • amure1
    amure1 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Did you ever get your money back ?

I have been constantly calling them from 2 months back they say that they will do it then when the day come nothing... They just wont give me my credit back, not sure what to do next as I have just had enough!
  • texter
    texter Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    amure1 wrote: »
    Did you ever get your money back ?

I have been constantly calling them from 2 months back they say that they will do it then when the day come nothing... They just wont give me my credit back, not sure what to do next as I have just had enough!

I can see this is your first post since 2012.

Welcome back :)

Sorry you didn't have any time to hang around for a response.

Or maybe you noticed? This thread is from January this year, and the newbie OP left this site 2 mins after posting and hasn't returned since.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport