Flight Changes - Consumer Rights

Options
Hi folks,

We had booked our Honeymoon to Dominican Republic in May, hotel and flights booked in one transaction with Expedia, and have recently been contacted by Expedia to advise that three of the four flights have changed, leaving us with an hour and a half to get through Atlanta airport and JFK airport to catch a connecting flight.

Having spoken to Expedia, we have been advised that the flights are non refundable, and we would also be charged a cancellation fee.

We were wondering if anyone had any advice in dealing with Delta Airlines and Air France in regards to having flight times amended?

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would suggest look at alternative routes and then contact them (the airlines) to point out that the connection times are impossibly tight and suggest rerouting. And if you can get rerouted on flights that avoid the USA altogether (for example flying from Paris to Santo Domingo), so much the better: US immigration is usually painful, and you would of course require ESTAs, which are not free.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would do a bit of home work and look at other later connecting flights ATL to Dom Rep and then ask either Expedia or Delta if you can switch to something which allows you a little more time to clear immigration.

I have always found Delta very accommodating with rerouting requests.
  • HogMan
    HogMan Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have travelled through ATL many times. In my experience gate to gate (including immigration, reclaiming bags, rechecking bags, security and the plane train) takes close to 90 minutes.
  • headpin
    headpin Posts: 780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are your flights booked through origin to destination? Or are they separate. Makes a big difference. If booked through the airline will need to ensure that you make the connection or make alternative arrangements. In the US airlines are used to dealing with passengers making connections and it will be no big deal.

What you may find useful is establishing what the options may be if you miss a connection and need to get a subsequent flight. If nothing for a day or two you may then want to start asking Expedia to investigate the alternatives. They have an obligation under The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018 - see Regulation 15 for their responsibility.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @OP: Your post is lacking most relevant information. What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to cancel, reroute, something else? How much have your flights been changed?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure