Mexico- Mosquitoes in the Riviera Maya area

Options
We have now booked to go on holiday to the Riviera Mayo area of Mexico at the end of March- beginning of April. I was wondering if anyone knows whether Mosquitos are an issue/problem in this area during March and April, or is it more restricted to the rainy season. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Comments

• 814man
    814man Posts: 401 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As someone who lived there for a couple of years in the 90's I'd say its more about your location than the time of year. Big hotel complexes will be aware of problems caused and do stuff like treat ditches and open stagnant water. If you are travelling light and staying in smaller local establishments you may need to take your own precautions such as nets and lotion. Dont let them stop you enjoying your holiday though, you'll have a great time.
  • OnMyTodd
    OnMyTodd Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Wherever you go Mosquitos will be more active in the rainy/wet season or near swamps etc.
  • TonysTips
    Options
    Riviera Maya covers a large area as it is not just a resort. You can get some Mosquittos there but it could depend entirely where your accomodation is located. Some hotels may have a problem and others none at all. Even then it could be narrowed down to the location on the complex of your room/appartment. You probably will not know until you arrive. My advise would to take with you as precaution some Zeet spray in case of need, as it would be quite expensive to buy locally. Ensure when purchasing it has a long expiry date, so it can be used on future holidays. I concur Mosquittos are more active during the rainy season.
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    We were there in June and had no problems and wife is normally eaten alive.
    They sell the anti mosquito wrist bands on the coach from the airport but you can get them far cheaper from Amazon (Pack of 10) just remember to take them with you unlike me last November. Us in Cape Verde - wrist bands in the wardrobe at home :-(
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts