Help with holiday to Nerja

Hello all,

My partner and I are looking to book a week's holiday in Nerja this year. I haven't been abroad for many years and am out of the swing of things when booking a holiday abroad.

We have looked at package holidays, but the vast majority are hotels. We want an apartment, so we can eat out and explore different restaurants etc.

It would seem that the accomodation is booked directly and the flight separately....but how do you know that it's genuine accomodation (if you know what I mean).

Are there any well known sites that have apartments, even if the flight is booked separately?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• \Just look on booking,com or similar for apartments. Flights to Malaga are easily booked seperately. Personally hae never booked a package to spain. Enjoy Nerja and make sure you do a tapas run
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I've used booking.com for overseas accommodation without any problems.

Check out reviews on TripAdvisor before you book.

I wouldn't rule out hotels, you can have B & B and eat out lunchtimes and evenii.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You can also try Airbnb but read the reviews and terms and conditions as quality can be variable.

Also have a look at Jet2 for apartment deals as the price will include extra baggage allowance and transfers.

In your costings don't forget about the cost of transfers to and from the airport. If you arrive at Malaga Airport late at night you will have to consider the cost of either car hire or taxi and Nerja is quite a way from the airport.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    \Just look on booking,com or similar for apartments. Flights to Malaga are easily booked seperately. Personally hae never booked a package to spain. Enjoy Nerja and make sure you do a tapas run

Agree ^^^^^

We had 3 weeks in an apartment a couple of years ago and really enjoyed Nerja. We arrived at Malaga Airport at lunchtime, then got the train [15 minutes] into Malaga, and then a bus [1 hour]to Nerja from the main bus station.

There are many Irish tourists in Nerja, and Irish expats. Together with the many Tapas Bars the Irish really give the place a buzz.

There was a problem with sewage in the sea that had been ongoing. Check the Trip Advisor froum for Nerja to see if it's been sorted out.

Make sure you visit Nerja Caves.

Getting around by bus is easy, but a car obviously allows a lot more freedom. Parking isn't great, and there is quite a lot of theft from vehicles. During the summer I imagine the bus service is very busy.

Frigilinana, a nearby mountain village is v.prety, but packed during the day. You can get a bus up to and from the village.
  • Hello MXW!

I am from Malaga myself and I love travelling around to little towns like Nerja or Ronda. I would recommend you to use airbnb website to book a cute apartment in Nerja.

It is fast and reliable, and the price usually do not exceed the local prices so you will be paying a fair price for renting an apartment.

Have a nice trip!
  • CM66
    CM66 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Whatever you do - NEVER send a payment by bank transfer.

99% of the time it is a scam

Always pay by credit card, or directly through Air BnB etc
  • MXW wrote: »
    Hello all,

My partner and I are looking to book a week's holiday in Nerja this year. I haven't been abroad for many years and am out of the swing of things when booking a holiday abroad.

We have looked at package holidays, but the vast majority are hotels. We want an apartment, so we can eat out and explore different restaurants etc.

It would seem that the accomodation is booked directly and the flight separately....but how do you know that it's genuine accomodation (if you know what I mean).

Are there any well known sites that have apartments, even if the flight is booked separately?

Many thanks in advance.

I’ve used Booking.com many times and always been happy. Just check the Terms& conditions for payment. Sometimes you just pay a small deposit, and then pay the balance at the property. I’ve just booked a weekend at the end of this month, and had to pay the full price up front.
    I’m using Airbnb in February for the Canary Islands.Got a great price, and the reviews are all excellent.
    There is always lots of flights available to Malaga. It’s a popular destination with lots of capacity.
    Nerja is a great choice.
  • Look on Trip Advisor, holiday rentals.
    I would never book one without quite a few good reviews
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    Last time I looked at holiday rentals on trip adviser none had any bad reviews and then i discovered that the owner of the property can vet the reviews and delete the negative ones. That doesn't happen with hotel and restaurant reviews.
    Nerja is a nice place but very very crowded and parking in town is impossible. The buses are good and cheap and more like coaches than buses.
    Say, para Malaga ida y vuelta...that is all you need to say to the bus driver as you get on the bus and that will get you a return ticket to Malaga. Or just snarl, Malaga at him for a single as the locals do.
    Torre del Mar is a great place too.
    Be sure to try the churras and hot chocolate. I prefer churras with coffee.
    The beach at Benajarafe is good too. Dark sand but it's genuine and not imported sand like some beaches on the Costa del sol.
    Grilled sardinas on sticks on the beach, grilled over wood fires, are superb. Similar to bbq but better.
  • rajeshk4u
    rajeshk4u Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MXW wrote: »
    We have looked at package holidays, but the vast majority are hotels. We want an apartment, so we can eat out and explore different restaurants etc.[/QUOTES]

There is no reason not to book package holidays. There is no obligation to eat there. . When you factor in the price sometimes, the difference it is n't much.

The problem in Spain with restaurants located in holiday locations, you can't find true good Spanish food. My definition of 'good' would be something memorable, that I wish I would take a flight to eat there again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure