PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Accidental Landlord: help pleaseHi

Options
Hello all,

Hopefully someone can help me out, as a result from a split i've now got a property which i'm letting out.

My question is in regards to getting the tax right... i'm confused by rules & regs so hoping someone can clarify my position below.

If I let my property at £1,100 per month - and my mortgage is £800 (repayment) how much of the mortgage can be deducted?

EG: Will I pay tax on the £1,100 or £300 remaining once mortgage deducted?

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you have a lot of research to do as being a landlord is full of responsibilities, not just for getting the tax right.
    You cannot claim the repayment part of the mortgage as an expense, you can claim the interest part of it although the rules have changed this year so the amount you can claim varies.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Star_Gazer wrote: »
    Hello all,

Hopefully someone can help me out, as a result from a split i've now got a property which i'm letting out.

My question is in regards to getting the tax right... i'm confused by rules & regs so hoping someone can clarify my position below.

If I let my property at £1,100 per month - and my mortgage is £800 (repayment) how much of the mortgage can be deducted?

EG: Will I pay tax on the £1,100 or £300 remaining once mortgage deducted?

Thanks in advance,

Accidental landlord. Get your tin hat on!

You can't claim relief on the capital payment of your mortgage. How much relief you can claim on the interest portion depends....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/restricting-finance-cost-relief-for-individual-landlords/restricting-finance-cost-relief-for-individual-landlords

https://www.propertygeek.net/article/mortgage-interest-relief/
  • Star_Gazer
    Options
    Thanks for the response, I have that element covered as it's via a high street agent.

So on that basis my tax (20%) will effectively be on the full mortgage (2.7% interest) which equates to £2,640 ... I can see why people don't want BTL anymore because this is costing me money each month based on this!
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Yup and even great fees from your letting agents
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Star_Gazer
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by this!
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the response, I have that element covered as it's via a high street agent.

Means nothing, the responsibility still lies with you e.g. deposit not protected, it won't be the letting agent being claimed 1x - 3x the penalty it will be yourself.

Start here being in the landlord business:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5180214
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

So on that basis my tax (20%) will effectively be on the full mortgage (2.7% interest) which equates to £2,640 ... I can see why people don't want BTL anymore because this is costing me money each month based on this!

Repaying capital is not a cost. So it cannot be costing you money.

If you are letting at 1100 per month and interest is 2640 then for example ...

Income £13200
    Finance cost £2640
    Agents fees eg £1320

Profit £9240
    Tax £1848

... assuming you remain a 20% taxpayer. There will be other deductible costs, eg insurance, maintenance, etc.

You are a long way from it "costing you money".
  • Star_Gazer
    Options
    My calculations:

Income of £11,990.40 (after agents fee) which would be taxed at £4,796.16 on 40% then minus mortgage of £8,705.28 = £1,511.04 DEFICIT

On top of this I have receipts totalling £1,500 (painting / skips / boiler service / repair work)

Please correct me on the above, as I said before I am lost with this...but it seems I set me make a loss!
  • LateStarter
    Options
    I think you're coming at this from the wrong angle; you have a property with a mortgage on it - if you intend to keep the property then you need to pay this mortgage. You do NOT have a debt-free property, where you can take the rent as your own income.

You've fallen into the trap of thinking that property rental is somehow easy money; hopefully this thread will open your eyes a bit. Your really need to understand how it works, and if it's suitable for you (ans most likely it's not).
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Income of £11,990.40 (after agents fee) which would be taxed at £4,796.16 on 40% then minus mortgage of £8,705.28 = £1,511.04 DEFICIT
    If your mortgage is £8,700 a year, of which £2,640 is interest, then the remaining £6,060 isn't a cost to you, it's a capital transfer. You're changing £8,700 in cash into £6,060 in equity, so you're only losing £2,640.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure