Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ptstolls
    • By Ptstolls 13th Jan 19, 5:47 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ptstolls
    Free used car batteries?
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:47 PM
    Free used car batteries? 13th Jan 19 at 5:47 PM
    I'm looking to hook up a car battery to some solar panels for my shed. I've been browsing eBay for used batteries, but considering it costs money to recycle batteries (which is legally required), does anyone know whether someone like a mechanic or a scrap yard would be likely to give them away for free?

Open to ideas!
Page 1
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 13th Jan 19, 5:53 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 2,919 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:53 PM
    Scrap yards pay you for them so I doubt anyone who gets a few would pass them on for nowt.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 13th Jan 19, 5:53 PM
    • 11,564 Posts
    • 6,596 Thanks
    DUTR
    Why would a breaker give them away?
    Batteries or at least some of the components can be recycled.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 13th Jan 19, 5:54 PM
    • 28,396 Posts
    • 11,568 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:54 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:54 PM
    Batteries are worth money even totally useless ones.

A business is unlikely to give them away, they need a papertrail to show how they disposed of them. Do you have a waste licence?

Offer to take peoples batteries to the tip. But dont expect many.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 13th Jan 19, 5:55 PM
    • 3,262 Posts
    • 4,387 Thanks
    George Michael
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:55 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:55 PM
    Scrappies normally sell old batteries to a recycling facility so it's unlikely that you will get them free of charge.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 13th Jan 19, 5:57 PM
    • 1,979 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:57 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:57 PM
    Scrappies normally sell old batteries to a recycling facility so it's unlikely that you will get them free of charge.
    Originally posted by George Michael

I have two at the moment, I am hoping I will get 10 for them next week.

• motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th Jan 19, 6:19 PM
    • 18,252 Posts
    • 11,169 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:19 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:19 PM
    I'm looking to hook up a car battery to some solar panels for my shed. I've been browsing eBay for used batteries, but considering it costs money to recycle batteries (which is legally required), does anyone know whether someone like a mechanic or a scrap yard would be likely to give them away for free?

Open to ideas!
    Originally posted by Ptstolls
    As already posted - a car battery is worth between 5 to 12 scrap depending on weight if weighed in, so nobody (with any sense) gives them away free.

Likewise, if they're completely duff to only be worth giving away, they're hardly going to hold charge from your solar panels
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • stator
    • By stator 13th Jan 19, 6:30 PM
    • 6,819 Posts
    • 4,606 Thanks
    stator
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:30 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:30 PM
    Likewise, if they're completely duff to only be worth giving away, they're hardly going to hold charge from your solar panels
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Just because it won't start a car doesn't mean it won't hold a charge.

The best bet for the OP is to offer to buy them on gumtree for 5.
    If you've DIY fitted a new battery to your car. Trying to sell it for scrap is a PITA, so if someone is offering your cash on gumtree, they might go for it.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • fred990
    • By fred990 13th Jan 19, 6:51 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    fred990
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:51 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:51 PM
    I've had quite a bit of success rejuvenating old batteries with ctek type chargers. I find the local paper & bottle bank is where some people think they should leave old car batteries!
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 13th Jan 19, 8:14 PM
    • 4,237 Posts
    • 3,251 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Car batteries really aren't the best idea for this due to the fact you knacker them if the voltage drops below 11V. Far better using leisure batteries which are designed for deep discharge.
    • fred990
    • By fred990 13th Jan 19, 10:57 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    fred990
    Car batteries really aren't the best idea for this due to the fact you knacker them if the voltage drops below 11V. Far better using leisure batteries which are designed for deep discharge.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    100% correct if you're buying them from new but I'm pulling old car batteries way down and they keep going. Caveat of course that I'm drawing about 1/10 C max down to about 11.5V and not trying to crank a car motor. But they're old knackered batteries anyway, no good for a car.
    I think you could use them for storage but it would be a labour of love to keep them going?
    Next project is to start drilling the caps out and play with electrolyte/SG.......
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 14th Jan 19, 5:01 PM
    • 4,237 Posts
    • 3,251 Thanks
    Tarambor
    That's the thing, they're no good for storage, the internal resistance is higher so they self discharge faster.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,587Posts Today

9,595Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Perhaps the only thing we truly learn from this poll is we are generally optimistic. Most Brexiteers think Brexit w? https://t.co/DoosVRvneE

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ??Join the UK's biggest consumer website ??Make a difference ??Work with brilliant journalists ??Collaborate with top b?

• Today's Twitter poll: Do you believe the UK will leave the European Union in 2019? PS. Twitter/my following tends? https://t.co/U3DknxaJOG

• Follow Martin