Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ant187
    • By Ant187 13th Jan 19, 5:40 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Ant187
    How to apply for credit card without 3 years previous uk address history?
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:40 PM
    How to apply for credit card without 3 years previous uk address history? 13th Jan 19 at 5:40 PM
    Hi all,
    Posting on behalf of my german partner. She has lived in the uk for 6 months now and is working full time and registered on the electoral roll and has a uk bank account.

We thought this was enough however she was declined a car finance deal in sept so been advised to get any CC to start building up her credit history.

The hurdle is is all CC applications, even credit builder applications ask for previous uk address history if not lived in the UK for more than 3 years and will only accept a UK postcode to be submitted not a foreign one. How do you get around this as feel like we're constantly hitting a brick wall.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 13th Jan 19, 6:24 PM
    • 62,450 Posts
    • 55,553 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:24 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:24 PM
    Somthings aren't meant to be. 6 months isn't long enough to establish any amount of history.
    "You get recessions, you have stock market declines. If you don't understand that's going to happen, then you're not ready, you won't do well in the markets." - Peter Lynch
    • livinka
    • By livinka 13th Jan 19, 6:54 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    livinka
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:54 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:54 PM
    Mobile phone contract (not pay as you go)
    Overdraft facility with existing bank
    Credit card from existing bank
    Credit card for bad (or insufficient) credit history: moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/bad-credit-credit-cards/

All these build credit history. She doesn't need 3 years, 6-12 months of history is enough.
    • Vet
    • By Vet 14th Jan 19, 8:26 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Vet
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:26 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:26 AM
    Mobile phone contract (not pay as you go)
    Overdraft facility with existing bank
    Credit card from existing bank
    Credit card for bad (or insufficient) credit history: moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/bad-credit-credit-cards/

All these build credit history. She doesn't need 3 years, 6-12 months of history is enough.
    Originally posted by livinka
    This! And make sure you pay back in full each month. These bad credit history cards have ridiculously high charges if you do not pay in time!
    • alandaniel132
    • By alandaniel132 14th Jan 19, 10:52 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    alandaniel132
    • 14th Jan 19, 10:52 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 10:52 AM
    Apply for overdraft and used the overdraft, pay some small interest. the bank know then give you credit card
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 14th Jan 19, 11:27 AM
    • 3,722 Posts
    • 2,278 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 14th Jan 19, 11:27 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 11:27 AM
    Apply for overdraft and used the overdraft, pay some small interest. the bank know then give you credit card
    Originally posted by alandaniel132
    Although it's not as simple as that...
    • Ant187
    • By Ant187 15th Jan 19, 10:36 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ant187
    • 15th Jan 19, 10:36 PM
    • 15th Jan 19, 10:36 PM
    Thanks for messages,
    She applied a while back for phone contract with ee but was denied.
    Also applied for credit card through her bank account branch who said that she would probably get accepted, but also denied.

Main thing i want to know is how to get around her not having 3 years worth of previous uk address history as that is the main crux even for high interest credit builder cards.
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 16th Jan 19, 3:16 PM
    • 782 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    sal_III
    • 16th Jan 19, 3:16 PM
    • 16th Jan 19, 3:16 PM
    Why is she so determined to get a cc? I doubt that anyone will give her one with less than 1 year history in the UK. After one year her current account provider is likely to give her a low limit cc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,036Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • PLS SHARE - WARNING DO NOT USE VIAGOGO. A group of MPs have today echo'd my own warning about the secondary tick? https://t.co/ZUvKRq3MeS

• RT @MartinSLewis: I've had a few messages from people concerned that they've bought tickets from Viagogo and they heard my cautionary warni?

• Early days but it seems I'm in the 1 in 20 who don't listen to music. Funny people react with such shock at not? https://t.co/xrU3aaRF9J

• Follow Martin