Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Magenta
    • By Magenta 13th Jan 19, 2:50 PM
    • 2,029Posts
    • 5,726Thanks
    Magenta
    VPN app ?
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:50 PM
    VPN app ? 13th Jan 19 at 2:50 PM
    Sorry if this is a daft question!!
    On my tablet I keep getting prompts to install a VPN app to protect against Krack attacks.
    Do I need this? I don't want to install anything that is going to mess up my tablet.
    Advice please.
    Magenta
Page 1
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 13th Jan 19, 3:15 PM
    • 8,953 Posts
    • 6,747 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:15 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:15 PM
    I would imagine that you may have already installed an app that is messing with your tablet, that keep prompting you to do this
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 13th Jan 19, 3:22 PM
    • 33,802 Posts
    • 21,296 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:22 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:22 PM
    What have you recently installed ?
    • EmilyFrost
    • By EmilyFrost 14th Jan 19, 6:06 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EmilyFrost
    • 14th Jan 19, 6:06 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 6:06 AM
    Yep,try it
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 14th Jan 19, 8:16 AM
    • 3,580 Posts
    • 2,564 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:16 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:16 AM
    Sorry if this is a daft question!!
    On my tablet I keep getting prompts to install a VPN app to protect against Krack attacks.
    Do I need this? I don't want to install anything that is going to mess up my tablet.
    Advice please.
    Originally posted by Magenta
    In my opinion VPNs are mostly snake oil.

Useful if you want to pretend to be in another country to view content or subscribe to a service - Spotify thinks I'm in the Philippines and Netflix thinks I'm in Turkey, saving me a few quid a month.

But the security benefits of using a VPN are mostly exaggerated or misleading.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 14th Jan 19, 2:50 PM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 1,875 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 14th Jan 19, 2:50 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 2:50 PM
    In my opinion VPNs are mostly snake oil.

Useful if you want to pretend to be in another country to view content or subscribe to a service - Spotify thinks I'm in the Philippines and Netflix thinks I'm in Turkey, saving me a few quid a month.

But the security benefits of using a VPN are mostly exaggerated or misleading.
    Originally posted by SnowTiger
    Do tell....
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • arciere
    • By arciere 14th Jan 19, 3:09 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    arciere
    • 14th Jan 19, 3:09 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 3:09 PM
    Do tell....
    Originally posted by RumRat
    I would twist the question: what benefits do you really think there are?
    As SnowTiger said, apart from pretending to be somewhere else, what do you exactly expect from a VPN connection?
    I'm not speaking on his behalf, he's probably going to give you a different explanation
    Your traffic is hidden from your ISP, but the company providing you the VPN service knows exactly what and where you are browsing.
    Plus, when you connect to your bank, for example, the connection between the VPN provider and the bank will still be 'open' and visible to anyone.
    So it's just a matter of deciding if you trust a random VPN provider based in China, Russia or Singapore more than your ISP provider.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 14th Jan 19, 3:25 PM
    • 11,906 Posts
    • 5,320 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 14th Jan 19, 3:25 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 3:25 PM
    OP has some sort of trojan malware pup telling them to install this VPN .
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 14th Jan 19, 4:23 PM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 1,875 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 14th Jan 19, 4:23 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 4:23 PM
    I would twist the question: what benefits do you really think there are?
    As SnowTiger said, apart from pretending to be somewhere else, what do you exactly expect from a VPN connection?
    I'm not speaking on his behalf, he's probably going to give you a different explanation
    Your traffic is hidden from your ISP, but the company providing you the VPN service knows exactly what and where you are browsing.
    Plus, when you connect to your bank, for example, the connection between the VPN provider and the bank will still be 'open' and visible to anyone.
    So it's just a matter of deciding if you trust a random VPN provider based in China, Russia or Singapore more than your ISP provider.
    Originally posted by arciere
    Or, trust them more than your Government. I'd say that most people using a VPN are not naive enough to think that it gives you complete anonymity and security. However, they do (if you choose a decent one) give you decent protection against mass surveillance. If you become 'A person of interest', then they'll find a way in regardless of what you put in place.
    I personally started using one when the Government started talking about ISPs logging all your online activity. So would I trust my VPN service more than my ISP? The answer would be, yes, but I wouldn't trust anyone or anything online 100%.
    Make sure the VPN you choose isn't based in one of the 14 eyes countries or Israel, just so as not to make it easy for them..

I doubt I'll become 'A person of interest' in the near future, but with things the way they are at them moment, who knows how long that will last....
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • arciere
    • By arciere 14th Jan 19, 4:41 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    arciere
    Or, trust them more than your Government. I'd say that most people using a VPN are not naive enough to think that it gives you complete anonymity and security. However, they do (if you choose a decent one) give you decent protection against mass surveillance. If you become 'A person of interest', then they'll find a way in regardless of what you put in place.
    I personally started using one when the Government started talking about ISPs logging all your online activity. So would I trust my VPN service more than my ISP? The answer would be, yes, but I wouldn't trust anyone or anything online 100%.
    Make sure the VPN you choose isn't based in one of the 14 eyes countries or Israel, just so as not to make it easy for them..

I doubt I'll become 'A person of interest' in the near future, but with things the way they are at them moment, who knows how long that will last....
    Originally posted by RumRat
    As much as I disapprove of this Government, I REALLY wouldn't trust them less than Russia or China. Where are the most renowned VPN providers based? Do you really think that those Governments wouldn't pay gold to track UK citizens' Internet activity (no matter what T&C you subscribed to).
    So, practically, if you browse your website through a VPN connection, your ISP/UK Government won't be able to see what you're doing, but on the other side of the Globe, another provider (the VPN) and another Government (where the VPN provider is based) will have all the means to track your Internet activity (and link them to you).
    But at least they swore that they would never ever do such a thing.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 14th Jan 19, 5:03 PM
    • 8,953 Posts
    • 6,747 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    All the above discussions whilst being informative don't actually address the OP's original question, I would suggest posts #2/3 are closer to her problem
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 14th Jan 19, 6:30 PM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 1,875 Thanks
    RumRat
    As much as I disapprove of this Government, I REALLY wouldn't trust them less than Russia or China. Where are the most renowned VPN providers based? Do you really think that those Governments wouldn't pay gold to track UK citizens' Internet activity (no matter what T&C you subscribed to).
    So, practically, if you browse your website through a VPN connection, your ISP/UK Government won't be able to see what you're doing, but on the other side of the Globe, another provider (the VPN) and another Government (where the VPN provider is based) will have all the means to track your Internet activity (and link them to you).
    But at least they swore that they would never ever do such a thing.
    Originally posted by arciere
    I don't use one based in Russia or China. Don't know where that came from.
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 14th Jan 19, 6:31 PM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 1,875 Thanks
    RumRat
    All the above discussions whilst being informative don't actually address the OP's original question, I would suggest posts #2/3 are closer to her problem
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    Perhaps because it's been answered.......as you say.
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

789Posts Today

6,037Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

• Today's FRIDAY twitter poll: Draconian & absurd new laws by May/Corbyn/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dicta? https://t.co/umCa8jP7LT

• Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• Follow Martin