Omega watch issues

I have had an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Co-Axial >15000 Gauss since May 2015. I bought it new from Montredo in Germany. So far it has been back to Omega three times for adjustment because it was gaining 10 - 14 seconds per day. It also had a hand alignment issue. It is now losing 5 seconds a day and their stated tolerance for this movement is -1 / +6.
Does anyone know what my legal options are? Do I just send it back for a fourth time or am I entitled to a replacement movement because this appears to be a Friday afternoon job?! I'm not sure where I stand after it has already been back for adjustment and repair three times. It has a five year warranty.
I appreciate it's a mechanical watch and will never keep perfect time. However, when you have to keep correcting it every few days it's annoying considering it's meant to be a premium time piece.

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Surely you'll need someone who knows about German consumer laws to answer that one.
  • M3_Sussex
    M3_Sussex Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It goes back to Omega in Southampton for repair. It has an international warranty.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    What does the warranty say about your entitlements?
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    M3_Sussex wrote: »
    It goes back to Omega in Southampton for repair. It has an international warranty.
    That's irrelevant. You asked about legal options, those will be determined by the applicable German legislation that was in force at the time of purchase.

Otherwise you're bound by the terms of the warranty, what does it say about recurring faults / repairs?
  • M3_Sussex
    The box only contains the operating instructions and the warranty card. there are no warranty details.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Googling shows that five year warranties only started being offered last year, on new watches sold from 1st July. Are you sure yours has a five year warranty, given it was purchased in 2015? They aren't retrospectively applying five years warranties.

According to the Omega site, questions about the warranty should be directed to your authorised service centre.
  • M3_Sussex
    Certain models did come with a five year warranty prior to the recent change in July 18. My model was one of these.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    In the absence of any warranty paperwork, your rights are those in effect at the time of purchase in Germany.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    From Omegas web site.
    The precision of a mechanical movement depends on the individual habits of the wearer and can therefore vary. A qualified OMEGA watchmaker can adjust the precision of a watch to within the OMEGA tolerances, which are from -1 to +6 seconds per day

From experience I know this is true. My Nomos watch varies in accuracy depending on the sort of treatment it is getting ( it gets a lot more shaken about on an off road bike ride than it does if I spend the day on the computer) Accuracy also shifts over time, as lubricants dry out and parts begin to ware. By the time it is due a service it will be a lot less good at keeping time than a recently serviced watch.

A well used watch should be serviced every 4 to 5 years, which for an Omega is going to cost you around £500. Personally as your watch has been back a few times already I would try and wangle a full service out of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure