Travel insurance provider cancelled my policy

Options
Hi all,

So I've been hunting around for travel insurance (doing the SE Asia route and Oz from February) and came across a discount with one provider that I got a quote through.
When applying the discount it brought the premium down to £0 - I clicked through and went to the payment page and bought the cover (actually paid £1) and was sent my policy documents etc.

I just had a phone call from the provider telling me they have cancelled my policy due to it being an error. Can they actually do this once I've bought the cover and been issued policy documents, essentially leaving me uncovered?

Regards,
Jon

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes they can.....did you really think you were going to get free insurance.

If your trip is not till February then how are you uncovered?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    BoGoF wrote: »
    Yes they can.....did you really think you were going to get free insurance.

If your trip is not till February then how are you uncovered?

Presumably uncovered for cancellation between now and then.

If it looks too good to be true......
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Dymond11
    Options
    I know to expect the 'did you really think..' etc. response but I'm talking just from the standpoint of do they have to honour it as a legal contract, regardless of it presumably being an error.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dymond11 wrote: »
    I know to expect the 'did you really think..' etc. response but I'm talking just from the standpoint of do they have to honour it as a legal contract, regardless of it presumably being an error.

Yes, they can cancel the policy as regards future events. However, had you suffered a claimable event between buying it and them cancelling it, they'd have had to pay out any claim. So you were insured for a short period of time, but now have to find alternative cover for future events.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/2793921/Hastings-Direct-fined-by-FSA-after-car-insurance-pricing-error.html

A similar case although the fact your premium was zero makes a big difference.

If you make an "Official Complaint" you may find they send you £50 go away money

Worth giving the FCA a heads up on it as they may take similar action if this affeced a large number of people (They tend not to be bothered by individual cases)
  • o202
    o202 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where does this leave the OP to the typical 'have you ever had an insurance policy cancelled?' question?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure