Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dymond11
    • By Dymond11 13th Jan 19, 12:22 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Dymond11
    Travel insurance provider cancelled my policy
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:22 PM
    Travel insurance provider cancelled my policy 13th Jan 19 at 12:22 PM
    Hi all,

So I've been hunting around for travel insurance (doing the SE Asia route and Oz from February) and came across a discount with one provider that I got a quote through.
    When applying the discount it brought the premium down to 0 - I clicked through and went to the payment page and bought the cover (actually paid 1) and was sent my policy documents etc.

I just had a phone call from the provider telling me they have cancelled my policy due to it being an error. Can they actually do this once I've bought the cover and been issued policy documents, essentially leaving me uncovered?

Regards,
    Jon
Page 1
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 13th Jan 19, 12:34 PM
    • 4,005 Posts
    • 3,475 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:34 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:34 PM
    Yes they can.....did you really think you were going to get free insurance.

If your trip is not till February then how are you uncovered?
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 13th Jan 19, 1:12 PM
    • 38,776 Posts
    • 162,065 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:12 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:12 PM
    Yes they can.....did you really think you were going to get free insurance.

If your trip is not till February then how are you uncovered?
    Originally posted by BoGoF
    Presumably uncovered for cancellation between now and then.

If it looks too good to be true......
    • Dymond11
    • By Dymond11 13th Jan 19, 1:23 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dymond11
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:23 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:23 PM
    I know to expect the 'did you really think..' etc. response but I'm talking just from the standpoint of do they have to honour it as a legal contract, regardless of it presumably being an error.
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 13th Jan 19, 2:50 PM
    • 11,303 Posts
    • 21,561 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:50 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:50 PM
    I know to expect the 'did you really think..' etc. response but I'm talking just from the standpoint of do they have to honour it as a legal contract, regardless of it presumably being an error.
    Originally posted by Dymond11
    Yes, they can cancel the policy as regards future events. However, had you suffered a claimable event between buying it and them cancelling it, they'd have had to pay out any claim. So you were insured for a short period of time, but now have to find alternative cover for future events.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 13th Jan 19, 6:39 PM
    • 20,678 Posts
    • 12,809 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:39 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:39 PM
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/2793921/Hastings-Direct-fined-by-FSA-after-car-insurance-pricing-error.html

A similar case although the fact your premium was zero makes a big difference.

If you make an "Official Complaint" you may find they send you 50 go away money

Worth giving the FCA a heads up on it as they may take similar action if this affeced a large number of people (They tend not to be bothered by individual cases)
    • o202
    • By o202 13th Jan 19, 6:51 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    o202
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:51 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:51 PM
    Where does this leave the OP to the typical 'have you ever had an insurance policy cancelled?' question?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

789Posts Today

6,037Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

• Today's FRIDAY twitter poll: Draconian & absurd new laws by May/Corbyn/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dicta? https://t.co/umCa8jP7LT

• Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• Follow Martin