Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MattB94
    • By MattB94 12th Jan 19, 11:36 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MattB94
    1930ís bungalow second story extension
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:36 PM
    1930ís bungalow second story extension 12th Jan 19 at 11:36 PM
    Hi all,

My wife and I are looking at buying a 1930ís bungalow which would be a ďprojectĒ. It needs completely gutting to make it what we want, but we hope it could be a good way of getting exactly what we want in a way we could afford (our budget for redeveloping it would be between £80-100K).

We would, in an ideal world add a second floor extension (all the other houses on the street are 2 stories so planning permission is likely) - obviously the foundations of the house could get in our way of doing this. Is there any way of finding out if an extension is possible and checking the foundations before buying the property? We donít want to buy the house to find out later itís not an option.

Option 2 would to convert the bungalow into a Dorma, again, would the foundations need to be checked? Or as it would be using the existing structure would they be fine as they are?

In terms of value and cost second floor vs dorma. From my research a second floor extension would be more expensive but would that be the same in terms of the value added?

Thanks so much in advance!
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Jan 19, 2:29 AM
    • 27,573 Posts
    • 98,347 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:29 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:29 AM
    Firstly, there is no such thing as a 'dorma.' It's often spoken about, but never found, and I blame Pavarotti's most famous song! I think you mean a loft conversion with dormer windows.

This might be possible and more acceptable from planning and practical perspectives, but from my own experience looking into such a project, while structural steels could take some of the strain, I was still asked to dig trial holes to check the foundations on our 1970s bungalow.

Bear in mind too that there may be a large difference between foundations on a 1930s structure and one from the '70s or 80s. Our last 1930s house had foundations of under 300mm!

In the end, although we gained PP for a dormer extension, we decided to extend laterally and redesign the interior to make better use of space. The amount of steel we needed pushed up costs and we were disappointed with the usable space and sloping ceilings that would have been created.

You could speak to some of the residents nearby if they have had a recent first floor added to a similar property, to see what their experience was. Otherwise, you might have to arrange a visit with a structural engineer as a first step. Anything's better than digging trial holes, even assuming you're allowed, which I doubt. Mine filled with water faster than I could dig at this time of year!
    'There are places to go beyond belief'

Neil Armstrong, apparently referring to worlds beyond the solar system.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 13th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    • 8,053 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    martindow
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    I would assume that the foundations will not be adequate for adding a second floor and quite possibly not good enough according to current practice for the building that is currently there.

If you price your prospective work on this basis you can see if it makes sense to buy this bungalow. If less drastic work is needed it would be a bonus.
    • jimbog
    • By jimbog 13th Jan 19, 12:20 PM
    • 812 Posts
    • 1,373 Thanks
    jimbog
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:20 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:20 PM
    It might be worth looking at the planning portal of your local council to see what plans your neighbours put in and what they had to do to complete their extensions
    Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 13th Jan 19, 2:05 PM
    • 5,689 Posts
    • 8,860 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:05 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:05 PM
    You might not get planning permission for a 2nd storey because it would raise the level of the roof line.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Jan 19, 3:11 PM
    • 11,604 Posts
    • 10,034 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:11 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:11 PM
    1930s detached bungalows are a disappearing breed. On a generous plot and in a decent area, the probability is it will be demolished and a 4/5 bed house erected on the site or will be extended with rooms in roof plus ground floor extension.
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 15th Jan 19, 12:31 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    • 15th Jan 19, 12:31 PM
    • 15th Jan 19, 12:31 PM
    Ours was a 1920/1930s bungalow, we wanted to extend it and keep it as a bungalow but they would only allow us to increase the footprint by a third. This wasn't enough for us so eventually they let us go upstairs (which wasn't what we really wanted). We could only have a chalet bungalow because they wouldn't allow us a proper two storey house because of the roof height. We live in a semi rural area and have no very close neighbours but the nearest to us is a 'proper' house. The road is a mixture of bungalows and houses - ours is the only chalet.

We had to have the foundations underpinned for the extension.

We do come under 'countryside' so things are a bit stricter but couldn't really understand some of the restrictions.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,053Posts Today

4,462Users online

Martin's Twitter