Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • toprosowsk
    • By toprosowsk 12th Jan 19, 8:26 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    toprosowsk
    Hostel address
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:26 PM
    Hostel address 12th Jan 19 at 8:26 PM
    Hello Dear Forum

I am about to Fill Self Assessment for online Tax Return .

Throughout the past two months my housing circumstances has changed .
    Presently I live and run my admin and graphic design business activities using laptop at one of London's Hostel as well as in any London Library available .

I would like to ask you for advice whether I had to provide Current hostel address to online Self Assessment ,according to HMRC directions on their website about current home address ?

Or can I leave the address details of previous accommodation and shortly after submitting Online Self Assessment Tax Return I would update HMRC about new home address as I am planning to move into a new place within few weeks.

I would be thankful for your advice.

Kind regards
    Thomas
Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Jan 19, 10:08 PM
    • 39,610 Posts
    • 36,763 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:08 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:08 PM
    Would post sent to your previous address reach you? If not, there's a risk in not updating your address now, but I'd say it's a small one. In our experience, HMRC communicates via your tax account, and sends an email whenever anything changes.

And if you DO use the hostel address, are you confident any post sent there will be forwarded? If not, this is again a risk, but a small one because you can always check things online.

Problems arise when people don't get letters sent to them!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • pooch
    • By pooch 12th Jan 19, 10:55 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    pooch
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:55 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:55 PM
    Hello Dear Forum

I am about to Fill Self Assessment for online Tax Return .

Throughout the past two months my housing circumstances has changed .
    Presently I live and run my admin and graphic design business activities using laptop at one of London's Hostel as well as in any London Library available .

I would like to ask you for advice whether I had to provide Current hostel address to online Self Assessment ,according to HMRC directions on their website about current home address ?

Or can I leave the address details of previous accommodation and shortly after submitting Online Self Assessment Tax Return I would update HMRC about new home address as I am planning to move into a new place within few weeks.

I would be thankful for your advice.

Kind regards
    Thomas
    Originally posted by toprosowsk
    I would advise that you act in accordance with the declaration you will make

Declaration

I declare that the information I’ve given on this tax return and any supplementary pages is correct and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief.

I understand that I may have to pay financial penalties and face prosecution if I give false information
    • martindow
    • By martindow 13th Jan 19, 11:41 AM
    • 8,059 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    martindow
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:41 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:41 AM
    I would advise that you act in accordance with the declaration you will make
    Originally posted by pooch
    The OP does not appear to be trying to be fraudulent here and I can't see a problem with using a forwarding address until they have a permanent address which seems to be happening soon.

The problem with using the hostel address could be that letters are more likely to be lost going there.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 13th Jan 19, 12:59 PM
    • 7,819 Posts
    • 7,513 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:59 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:59 PM
    HMRC will not allow you to use a PO Box number so be careful if you use a temporary address

whether you get mail forwarded to somewhere else depends entirely on whether you trust the place that evicted you, or the the manager of the hostel, to do something for you as a favour for free, and only you can answer that question.

I'll assume you are not in the position to pay Royal mail to redirect at source?
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 13th Jan 19, 5:52 PM
    • 39,610 Posts
    • 36,763 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:52 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:52 PM
    I'll assume you are not in the position to pay Royal mail to redirect at source?
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    ah yes, I didn't think of that, it might be a very good idea to forward mail from your previous address if you possibly can.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • toprosowsk
    • By toprosowsk 15th Jan 19, 8:07 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    toprosowsk
    • 15th Jan 19, 8:07 PM
    • 15th Jan 19, 8:07 PM
    I trust the place I live in currently .I have no access to my previous accommodation.Therefore the only choice for me is Hostel. If HMRC decides to contact me via Post in current place they are more than welcome .I may by that time find a suitable accommodation and I will not hesitate to update HMRC about it too. Meanwhile Hostel is the only option for my letters. I would be thankful for your comments
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 16th Jan 19, 8:17 AM
    • 39,610 Posts
    • 36,763 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 16th Jan 19, 8:17 AM
    • 16th Jan 19, 8:17 AM
    I don't know how much post you were receiving, or what address you were using for your financial statements etc. However, the Royal Mail redirection service link would definitely be worth using once you have a new address. See here. I would also ask the hostel whether they have arrangements for forwarding post: I work for a charity where some of our service users do spend time in hostels, and we do occasionally get post forwarded to us, but I don't know how speedily they do that and whether it is 'normal' or going the extra mile for them.

I also don't know whether you can change the forwarding address part-way through the redirection process, but I'd ask, and if you can, I'd definitely use it if you possibly can.
    Still knitting!
    • martindow
    • By martindow 16th Jan 19, 11:24 AM
    • 8,059 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    martindow
    • 16th Jan 19, 11:24 AM
    • 16th Jan 19, 11:24 AM
    There is also Royal Mail Keepsafe

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/keepsafe/

It is not cheap but the OP suggested an arrangement will only need to be in place for a short while.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 30th Jan 19, 7:49 AM
    • 34,266 Posts
    • 29,105 Thanks
    custardy
    There is also Royal Mail Keepsafe

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/keepsafe/

It is not cheap but the OP suggested an arrangement will only need to be in place for a short while.
    Originally posted by martindow
    Keepsafe relates to holding for an address and then delivering it.
    So it would still be going to the hostel/old address. Assuming the OP could pass the security checks,which could be tricky.
    Redirection goes the same and given they have moved from the old address,they may not pass the security checks.
    A mail collect is free. It requires collection every 7 days though and still requires security checks.

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1513/~/can-i-have-my-mail-held-for-collection-from-my-local-delivery-office%3F
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,639Posts Today

8,113Users online

Martin's Twitter