Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lifeisforliving19
    • By Lifeisforliving19 10th Jan 19, 5:00 PM
    • 92Posts
    • 514Thanks
    Lifeisforliving19
    Let's get this show on the road
    • 10th Jan 19, 5:00 PM
    Let's get this show on the road 10th Jan 19 at 5:00 PM
    Well, its time for a new diary. Welcome to those who have followed me from my old diary and old name, and also to those of you who have only just joined
    A quick resume of what's what. OH and I started our DMP journey in March 2015 and it went well until I got made redundant and now only work PT. Also various health problems have meant I will not be going back FT and this is definitely a better work life balance for me, even if it means it will take longer to clear the debts. We started with SC but have been SM for almost a year now. So far we have cleared one small debt and also had an F&F offer accepted on another. So now working on a few more F&F's from our lovely F&F fund we have been trying to save while only making token payments on some of the debts.

This diary will not be so full of self pity as the other one was...I promise!
    Don't feel like I have achieved much today, although I have made a few life decisions, which I am hoping will help me to feel a bit better. More on those in another days update.
    Still getting used to the way this forum us all set out now, as when I was on here under my old name, I was on the old style format and everything looked different. This will take some time to work out where to go to see posts and subscribed threads etc

So anyway, time to get the tea on, so will update more soon.
    DMP 2015 57,549, now 42,955 (25% paid)
    EF 315 Mortgage OP's this year 20
    Christmas 2019 30 SPC #110
    There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

Page 1
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 10th Jan 19, 8:49 PM
    • 2,137 Posts
    • 13,365 Thanks
    redofromstart
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:49 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:49 PM
    Hello, happy new diary. V annoying about the password but sometimes new name new diary is good kick start - it worked for me.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 10th Jan 19, 9:05 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 7,219 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:05 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:05 PM
    Happy new diary,I look forward to reading about how you get on xx
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 1,598 Total Now Owed = 16,032
    Emergency Fund = 300 Xmas savings = 0
    • kindofagilr
    • By kindofagilr 11th Jan 19, 9:35 AM
    • 6,403 Posts
    • 21,483 Thanks
    kindofagilr
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:35 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:35 AM
    Found you I have subscribed, good luck xx
    Current Debt 42,057.00/44,856.56 ~ 02/01/19 - 6.24% Paid

POAMAYC 2019 #87 1950.34
    POAMAYC 2018 #87 13,912.57

POAMAYC 2017 #87 10,380.18
    POAMAYC 2016 #87 7454.80

Mortgage (Start Date 01/04/09 ~ 30 year term, due to end 01/07/39)
    82,799.33/104,409.00 (as of 31/12/18) ~ 20.69% Paid

Christmas Savings 18: Totalled 750/Christmas Savings 19: 20
    Cyprus 19 Savings: 0/2000 ~ Centre Parcs 19 Savings: 0/500
    Emergency Fund: 50

My Debt Free Diary (Link)
    • jwil
    • By jwil 11th Jan 19, 10:19 AM
    • 9,646 Posts
    • 32,122 Thanks
    jwil
    • 11th Jan 19, 10:19 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 10:19 AM
    Found you Happy new diary
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 11th Jan 19, 10:40 AM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 16,566 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    • 11th Jan 19, 10:40 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 10:40 AM
    if your trying to lose us all, you failed....

hAPPY nEW dIARY.....

Puzz. x
    Christmas 2019 68 cash/45 vouchers
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 55% done
    60062/26974.24 - 12068k UE
    Pot Of Gold - 600.00
    MY DIARY -
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
    • VadersDad
    • By VadersDad 11th Jan 19, 12:07 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    VadersDad
    • 11th Jan 19, 12:07 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 12:07 PM
    Good luck, you have done ace so far!
    Barclayloan 18.828, Mortgage 38.033, Savings 2,213/1000.

No CC or finance

Every cloud has a silver lining!
    • Lifeisforliving19
    • By Lifeisforliving19 11th Jan 19, 2:14 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    Lifeisforliving19
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:14 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:14 PM
    Wow, thank you all for joining....as if I would be trying to lose you Puzzcat...

Well I am pleased to report that I am feeling quite a lot better today. Ventured out for a little walk to the shop round the corner. Not far, but pleased to report that I wasn't completely shattered when I got back. Also today was the first day since Christmas day, that I have actually got properly dressed and put make up on. Even when I went to Dr I just threw on some old leggings under my coat....which is unheard of for me to go out of the house in leggings However the bad news is that OH decided that after struggling to work since Monday with this dreaded lurgy, he has had to give in and take a day off. Even made a Dr appointment he felt so bad. Got some antibiotics, so hoping he feels better soon and it doesn't drag on as long as mine did....we are supposed to be going away for a few days at beginning of Feb, so need to both be well for that. Definitely need it now after everything that's happened.

So plan is to go back to work on Tuesday....I don't work Mondays. Definitely need to get working again as I don't get sick pay and been off for 2 weeks. OH has used up all his sick pay as well, when he had his accident. So that is an indication of how bad he feels, he wouldn't stay off unless he had to.

Not much happening on the DMP front at the moment, still waiting to hear back about our 2 F&F's. Still doing as much saving as I can and hardly spent anything on groceries so far this month, which I am really pleased about. Just about to do a Click and Collect and determined to work from my list and not buy what I don't need.

Made a decision to cut down my babysitting duties and it seems to have been received ok. So think that has perked my up a bit, as I was worrying about it. Hoping that as I am getting a lot better now, will be able to take GS's to cinema soon, as we promised them before Christmas and never made it.

Thanks for reading again, and have a good day everyone.
    Last edited by Lifeisforliving19; 11-01-2019 at 4:14 PM.

• Lifeisforliving19
    • By Lifeisforliving19 11th Jan 19, 4:25 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    Lifeisforliving19
    • 11th Jan 19, 4:25 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 4:25 PM
    Well grocery order is done and ready for me to pick up tomorrow. Was very good and didn't order anything I didn't really need. Fruit and Veg also ordered from our lovely local shop. Only other thing to pick up in the morning will be some meat from local butcher. Will only be a couple of bits, so expecting the whole shopping this week to come in well under 45 and my original budget was 50, but always trying to get it down. Especially this week as we have both lost some earnings. Next week I shouldn't hardly need anything at all.
    OH telephoned his dad last night as we hadn't seen inlaws since before Christmas due to everyone feeling ill....they cancelled their Boxing day trip to us and then I have been bad ever since. Anyway, FIL told us there is a cheque waiting there for us as a Christmas present .....wasn't expecting that as they had already sent us a few presents. So that will come in very handy. Will pop over and see them as soon as OH feels bit better. Don't want to inflict germs on them as they have already had one cold since Christmas and don't really want another one.
    Not made any more overpayments on the mortgage for the last couple of days, but hope to start that again next week....every little helps and all that.
    Off to peel the potatoes now for some mash, to go with the liver and veg...yummy and very cheap. I love liver.
    Have a good evening every one.

• jwil
    • By jwil 12th Jan 19, 9:00 AM
    • 9,646 Posts
    • 32,122 Thanks
    jwil
    Hope you are both feeling better. Have a good weekend
    • Lifeisforliving19
    • By Lifeisforliving19 12th Jan 19, 12:28 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    Lifeisforliving19
    Well today is the first day I have been out properly since Christmas and the horrible damp weather just made me cough more again and made my chest hurt. Yesterday I felt so much better and now feel like its a step back again. Also OH coughed nearly all night, which means neither of us slept very well.
    Collected groceries but ended up going slightly over the 50 by a few pennies. But next week I think it will come in well under that. Have given myself 200 budget for the month and so far we are on 86.52. Keeping track of everything really helps. I was naughty though and bought a box of cakes in the local discount store for 1....but in my defence, they would have been nearly 4 before Christmas and were reduced due to going OOD next week.
    Plans for rest of the day are
    Washing and ironing
    Finally finish my packing list....as I am determine we are going to be well enough to go away...only 3 weeks to go!
    Make a list of all the birthday cards I need to get for next month....Feb is a bad month for birthdays in our family. Will see how many I can send E cards to and save money as well as saving the environment.
    Chill out and do nothing else and get better

Have a good day everyone

• jwil
    • By jwil 13th Jan 19, 9:22 AM
    • 9,646 Posts
    • 32,122 Thanks
    jwil
    Hope you both had a better night last night.

Feb is a massive birthday month here too.
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 13th Jan 19, 9:50 AM
    • 437 Posts
    • 1,249 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Sorry to hear you've been unwell lifesforl. I know there's so many horrendous bugs out there at the minute. Fingers crossed for your trip away, I'm sure it'll do you the world of good. Shopping budget/spends is looking great, brilliant start to 2019 x
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • kindofagilr
    • By kindofagilr 13th Jan 19, 10:05 AM
    • 6,403 Posts
    • 21,483 Thanks
    kindofagilr
    I hope you both had a better night.

February is a very busy birthday month here too, and March, April and May lol, thankfully it calms down from June x
    Current Debt 42,057.00/44,856.56 ~ 02/01/19 - 6.24% Paid

POAMAYC 2019 #87 1950.34
    POAMAYC 2018 #87 13,912.57

POAMAYC 2017 #87 10,380.18
    POAMAYC 2016 #87 7454.80

Mortgage (Start Date 01/04/09 ~ 30 year term, due to end 01/07/39)
    82,799.33/104,409.00 (as of 31/12/18) ~ 20.69% Paid

Christmas Savings 18: Totalled 750/Christmas Savings 19: 20
    Cyprus 19 Savings: 0/2000 ~ Centre Parcs 19 Savings: 0/500
    Emergency Fund: 50

My Debt Free Diary (Link)
    • Lifeisforliving19
    • By Lifeisforliving19 14th Jan 19, 8:08 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    Lifeisforliving19
    Morning everybody. Just a quick morning update

Well I am pleased to report that I am starting to feel quite a bit better, and hope to return to work on Thursday. I have 2 part time jobs and there is a story attached to me going back to the other one....will write about that later in another post.
    OH says he is feeling ok to go to work, and off he went first thing this morning, but he does sound dreadful and coughing constantly. Hopefully though he will improve soon. I also worry about who he is infecting at work with all his germs

Well yesterday, we ventured over to the inlaws as OH had asked if he could borrow MIL's car for a few weeks until he is told by the DR that his shoulder is ok for him to start riding his bike again. Seems ages ago now since his accident....Oct....and just wish he could get back on his bike and everything back to normal. He has been able to drive a car for last week, but apparently riding a bike is a different matter. Now I am going back to work this week, he can't use our car, so luckily MIL stepped in to help out, as they have 2 cars.
    FIL gave us a belated Christmas present of a small cheque, which will cover the day OH was off work last week and had no earnings. He had previously used up his 2 weeks sick pay when he was off after his accident. the remainder of the cheque has gone to the emergency fund, which is slowly starting to increase. Will be glad when we can get it back up to the 1000. But then I suppose that is what an EF is for. If we hadn't had it, we would have been well and truly stuffed when OH had his accident, as we needed so much extra petrol, car parking at hospital and then taxis when he first went back to work. Also he lost 3 days work after the sick pay had run out, not to mention me losing 3 days having to take him for his op etc. Luckily the loss of his earnings and car parking, taxis, etc, we will get back when the insurance pays out. But they have said it could take up to a year. Still at least we know it will be there eventually.

Also managed to pay another 4 overpayments off the mortgage today....remember, every little helps.

Sorry to report I still haven't got round to finishing writing that packing list . But I will do it soon as I sit down for half hour with a cuppa.
    Need to get the slow cooker on now and clean the bathroom. Then off to the bank to deposit the cheque. Trying not to do too much yet, as it just wears me out. This getting 100% fit seems to be taking a while
    Have a good day

• jwil
    • By jwil 14th Jan 19, 9:30 AM
    • 9,646 Posts
    • 32,122 Thanks
    jwil
    Glad you are feeling a bit better, have a good day

That's nice of the in-laws to loan the car.
    • Lifeisforliving19
    • By Lifeisforliving19 14th Jan 19, 12:51 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    Lifeisforliving19
    Well, not such good news on the settlement offer we made to W*s**t. We offered 10% and they came back saying they would accept 85%!!. Mmmm, not seeing that one working. Thought that now the debts had been sold to C*b*t, we might be in with a chance. As if I have that amount of money lying around, to just settle like that....if we did, we probably wouldn't have got in that sort of mess in the first place.

So time to take stock now and decide on our next plan. I'll keep you informed

• jwil
    • By jwil 15th Jan 19, 9:26 AM
    • 9,646 Posts
    • 32,122 Thanks
    jwil
    How frustrating. Just keep on paying them the 1 until you get a better offer.
    • Lifeisforliving19
    • By Lifeisforliving19 15th Jan 19, 12:02 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    Lifeisforliving19
    Morning, I was late getting up today. Well actually I did get up at 6.30 when OH went to work, but then went back to bed for a bit. Feeling a bit delicate today as seemed to have some odd tummy virus in the night/early morning. I do suffer with IBS, but this didn't feel like that and wondering if its the dreaded bug that is going around. Still, as my friend pointed out...at least I am getting everything at once and get it all over with....

Also, a small piece of tooth broke off last night, one that had already broken and dentist had put a temporary bit over it. Was going to ring up this morning and get him to take a look, but didn't really feel up to it, so will leave it till tomorrow hopefully.
    So all in all I am officially falling to bits...lol Got doctor appointment this afternoon to see about the result of my chest xray. Just sat here with some peppermint tea at the moment.
    I am looking forward to the day when everything is back to normal and I can get up in the mornings and actually feel like I have the energy to actually get dressed and get on with my day. I seem to be like a yo yo lately....1 good day, 2 bad days, 1 good day...etc

Hoping that I might feel up to a bit of exercise on the Wii and maybe a few minutes on the treadmill. Think that might help. Nice to see some sunshine out there today, even if it is a bit cold. I need sunshine, I am looking very pasty lately

So now my wallowing is over...on with the day.
    Check bank accounts
    Wash up and tidy kitchen
    Clean kitchen floor...if I can find the energy

Not giving myself massive things to do at the moment as I just never find the energy to actually do them and end up feeling worse

Going to have a look at my spread sheet where we have the debts listed and see what seems to be the best course of action...whether to offer a F&F to another one, in the hope of being accepted, or just leave it and wait for a bit.

Have a good day everyone.

• Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 15th Jan 19, 1:21 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 7,219 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Hi again, I hope you start to feel completely better soon,I'm sorry to hear your OH had an accident and glad he is recovering well by the sounds of it,all your plans sound great
    I'm taking g the next couple of months to try and build my emergency fund up again before I start saving for next Christmas again
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 1,598 Total Now Owed = 16,032
    Emergency Fund = 300 Xmas savings = 0
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,397Posts Today

8,861Users online

Martin's Twitter