Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Anna Bil
    • By Anna Bil 10th Jan 19, 11:01 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Anna Bil
    0 WOW
    Insurance to cover cases in non-EU countries
    • 10th Jan 19, 11:01 AM
    0 WOW
    Insurance to cover cases in non-EU countries 10th Jan 19 at 11:01 AM
    I was pulled off the plane due to surname's mistake in the ticket. Russian airline was not able to make correction for the declared fee. As a result I missed not only local but overseas flight. Travel insurance company refused to compensate new tickets expenses.

Second case happend in Russia in December. My friend had connection flight in Moscow with Aeroflot. The first flight was late. Airline's representative did not meet her to assist and accompany to the gate. She missed the flight. Aeroflot airline personnel refuse to re-book the ticket and provide accommodation. She was pregnant with 2 years son and luggage.
    I believe travel insurance is the way to avoid hassle and be protected from unexpected troubles. Who would like to sue a company based abroad?

Please advice insurance covering those cases and protecting from mayhem of developing countries,
Page 1
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 10th Jan 19, 3:30 PM
    • 6,113 Posts
    • 5,514 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 10th Jan 19, 3:30 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 3:30 PM
    In the first example I don't think insurance will cover you .
    It's your personal responsibility to book in the name on the passport, and to check that the name is correct at the time of booking.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 12th Jan 19, 5:50 PM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 2,004 Thanks
    AlexMac
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:50 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:50 PM
    My travel insurance would cover for the second problem; delay or cancellation, but not the first (an error by whoever made the booking).

In fact I've had a couple of successful claims for added costs after a flight or ferry delay (the first on my very cheap 40 annual multi-trip policy with an online insurer, the second on the cover provided as part of my Nationwide premium account which only costs 13 a month for insurance and a host of other benefits such as European car recovery, mobile phone cover and 5% interest on some savings).

I assume your friend has checked the small print on their policy and tried a claim?

If it had been an EU airline on a through ticket they'd have been obliged to get the passenger to their destination and provide some compensation and support... but I bet Russian Consumer protection's a bit skimpy?
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 12th Jan 19, 11:30 PM
    • 25,667 Posts
    • 12,895 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:30 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:30 PM
    Russia -- a developing country -- don't identify yourself or you may get a ''visit''!
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,624Posts Today

8,422Users online

Martin's Twitter