Suggestions For UK Family Holiday

Options
We are a family of five, 2 adults and 3 children (2,7 and 9) for the last 10 years me and the better half have holidayed in the South West as we are based in Plymouth. This year we would like to venture further afield. Most our family and friends holiday abroad but we are not interested in that, mainly because our 7 year old has autism.

We can do caravans, lodges, holiday homes etc. but really want some suggestions on maybe holiday camps (not Butlins) that perhaps you have stayed in. Been looking on Trip Advisor and it seems Lincolnshire or North Yorkshire could be an idea. We need the typical amenities access to a washing machine / launderette, pool, entertainment and of course a nice pub!

Comments

• WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As well as Lincolnshire and North Yorkshire, have a look at Snowdonia/North Wales. Lots to do for kids, lots of walks etc.
    Greenacres (Haven site) is quite quiet - has an arcade, family entertainment and modest pool, but has direct access onto a long beach so is great for families.
  • Sparkychap
    Options
    As well as Lincolnshire and North Yorkshire, have a look at Snowdonia/North Wales. Lots to do for kids, lots of walks etc.
    Greenacres (Haven site) is quite quiet - has an arcade, family entertainment and modest pool, but has direct access onto a long beach so is great for families.

Sounds good and just what we are looking for. Thanks for the info.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Haven Greenacres is quite small, suitable for those who like quieter holidays. If you want somewhere with a bit more activity / options / decent swimming pool, consider Haven Hafan y Mor just up the coast from Greenacres.

We've also had some wonderful holidays in Pembrokeshire, the Haven park at Tenby was good.

(We holiday in the UK for the same reason!)
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Sparkychap
    Options
    Wife is looking at Haven Greenacres as we speak. She seems keen and it looks like something we are looking for. I think we are going to book this evening, just waiting on my boss to confirm my holidays.
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I spent some very happy years there as a kid. It has changed in recent years, but is still one of the quieter parks. It looks big at first, but the caravans are in sections - Flowers, Birds, Trees, so not too bad once you get your bearings!

Here's a few day's out ideas:
    Black Rock Sands, right next to the park. You can walk onto it, or you can drive on the beach itself for a fee (and it's a bit of a novelty)
    Criccieth, a few miles West, has a family-friendly beach, and cafes, and a castle.
    Two railways in Porthmadog - Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland both depart from the town. Even if you don't go on a journey, you can watch the steam trains setting off.
    Snowdon Railway from Llanberis, a bit expensive, but something you'll only do once, probably.
    The Rabbit Farm at Llanystumdwy, small, but very child friendly, meet lots of animals. It's quaint and a bit rustic.
    Lots and lots of free stuff - Porthdinllaen beach is good, there's a pub at the end and you have to walk to it, either via the beach or the golf course. Llanbedrog beach is another good one for kids. Tons of walks around various lakes ...
    Further afield, there's the Sea Zoo on Anglesey.

Can you fit another little one in your suitcase? :rotfl:
  • TubbyDown
    Options
    Any Centre Parks provide good entertainment for children/adults of all ages - It's a bit pricey unfortunately but considering the amount of activities on site it does provide good value for money
  • Danipat
    Options
    We love Temby, we stay there every year. There are a few lovely caravan parks, Manorbier, Kiln Park.

Last year we done Gorge Walking with Blue Ocean Activities. I would definitely recomend it as a fantastic day out for all the family.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure