Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • amcg100
    • By amcg100 7th Jan 19, 7:26 PM
    • 265Posts
    • 277Thanks
    amcg100
    Student Loan Debacle from 90s
    • 7th Jan 19, 7:26 PM
    Student Loan Debacle from 90s 7th Jan 19 at 7:26 PM
    Hi
    I am creating this thread because I would like to hear about anyone who was affected by the inability of the Student Loans Company to administer their business during the late 1990s and early 2000s.

It's 20 years ago, but I remember news reports about the Student Loans Company being in disarray during the turn of the century and since I am one of the people who was affected I would like to hear from others.

I am hoping eventually to instigate a claim for negligence against the current license holders whom I presume inherited the liabilities as well as the assets when they took over from the Student Loans company. Does anyone know if this is the case ? Is there any case history?

Clearly any legal action against them stands more chance of success if we stand together. I am particularly interested if anyone had problems getting their loan deferred.

Would love to hear from anyone who has a story to tell...........
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, then perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away. thoreau
Page 1
    • John G Jones
    • By John G Jones 7th Jan 19, 9:28 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    John G Jones
    • 7th Jan 19, 9:28 PM
    • 7th Jan 19, 9:28 PM
    You want to sue a company for being in disarray? That’s not really how things work. What loss have you suffered, and how?
    • amcg100
    • By amcg100 9th Jan 19, 7:28 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    amcg100
    • 9th Jan 19, 7:28 PM
    • 9th Jan 19, 7:28 PM
    You want to sue a company for being in disarray? Thatís not really how things work. What loss have you suffered, and how?
    Originally posted by John G Jones

No, I am not going to sue them for being in disarray, as my post says I am going to sue them for negligence which is a legal term within Law of Torts.
    You are clearly just an antagonist, so please do not post on my thread again unless you have something constructive to say.

Thanks
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, then perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away. thoreau
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 10th Jan 19, 9:57 AM
    • 38,783 Posts
    • 162,087 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:57 AM
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:57 AM
    If you sue them for negligence, you would still have to show you suffered a loss.

I'm also not sure a new company inherits the failings of a previous one.
    • amcg100
    • By amcg100 10th Jan 19, 5:28 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    amcg100
    • 10th Jan 19, 5:28 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 5:28 PM
    If you sue them for negligence, you would still have to show you suffered a loss.

I'm also not sure a new company inherits the failings of a previous one.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    Yes, I can show losses, not a problem, but there must be a lot of people who had similar problems back then ..........
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 10th Jan 19, 7:26 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 446 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    • 10th Jan 19, 7:26 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 7:26 PM
    You might run into problems with this under the statute of limitations. It's 6 years for contract law I'm afraid, tort is 3 years so I suspect you're timed out.

I had a student loan from 1995-1998, and another from 2002-2005 and they were completely useless. They didn't change my address for the first loan so were constantly sending out deferment papers to an old address, even though they knew where I was as I had a loan from 2002. I'd call them to let them know I hadn't received it, using my current address as a way to verify my identity but they still sent the form to my old address. It became farcical. I did finally manage to speak to someone fairly competent and they admitted that they had 2 computer systems which weren't connected, they had the right details on one but it didn't automatically update the other one. I had to pay some arrears, which was difficult at the time as I was a single mum.
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 12th Jan 19, 5:53 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:53 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:53 PM
    Don't forget to take into account that, up to 2009 (and some up to 2006), student finance was administered by the student's local authority. The Student Loans Company paid out the money as per info entered by the local councils and dealt with repayments.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 12th Jan 19, 10:59 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 446 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:59 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:59 PM
    Don't forget to take into account that, up to 2009 (and some up to 2006), student finance was administered by the student's local authority. The Student Loans Company paid out the money as per info entered by the local councils and dealt with repayments.
    Originally posted by Starrystarrynight1

Wasn't it a mix of bursaries arranged by the local councils and student loans, which were sorted via the SLC?? I remember filling in a form for the SLC and receiving a separate bursary cheque from my local education authority. The bursary wasn't repayable, the SLC sent deferment papers/letters about the student loan only.
    • amcg100
    • By amcg100 14th Jan 19, 6:19 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    amcg100
    • 14th Jan 19, 6:19 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 6:19 PM
    You might run into problems with this under the statute of limitations. It's 6 years for contract law I'm afraid, tort is 3 years so I suspect you're timed out.

I had a student loan from 1995-1998, and another from 2002-2005 and they were completely useless. They didn't change my address for the first loan so were constantly sending out deferment papers to an old address, even though they knew where I was as I had a loan from 2002. I'd call them to let them know I hadn't received it, using my current address as a way to verify my identity but they still sent the form to my old address. It became farcical. I did finally manage to speak to someone fairly competent and they admitted that they had 2 computer systems which weren't connected, they had the right details on one but it didn't automatically update the other one. I had to pay some arrears, which was difficult at the time as I was a single mum.
    Originally posted by CakeCrusader
    Regarding the statute of limitations issue........
    They wrote to me yesterday and are therefore still liable under tort
    alex
    • peter3hg
    • By peter3hg 16th Jan 19, 4:59 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    peter3hg
    Regarding the statute of limitations issue........
    They wrote to me yesterday and are therefore still liable under tort
    alex
    Originally posted by amcg100
    The limit on tort is 6 years from the date of the injury/damage. Them writing to you is irrelevant. It can be extended to 15 years if you didnít have knowledge at the time, but obviously that has expired as well.
    • amcg100
    • By amcg100 18th Jan 19, 5:16 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    amcg100
    The limit on tort is 6 years from the date of the injury/damage. Them writing to you is irrelevant. It can be extended to 15 years if you didnít have knowledge at the time, but obviously that has expired as well.
    Originally posted by peter3hg
    I understand, but if they write me a threatening letter which causes me distress, then the ' Tortuous activity ' occurred at the time of the letter being written.
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 18th Jan 19, 8:26 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 446 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    I'm sorry, but distress is not grounds for any litigation by itself. As said, the statute of limitations has already passed for any action in tort or contract. Tort isn't 'they upset me', it's 'they had a duty towards me and they broke this by doing X,Y or Z' which has caused me a financial loss. There's really no loss here. If you're upset with the content or the tone then you'd need to make a complaint to them, you'll be wasting your time and your cash trying to sue.
    Last edited by CakeCrusader; 21-01-2019 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Typo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,324Posts Today

5,705Users online

Martin's Twitter