PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 7th January 2019

Options
Valli
Valli Posts: 24,781 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 10 January 2019 at 10:26PM in Old style MoneySaving
Welcome to the first full thread of 2019.
It's been lovely to see some newbies already and I'm so pleased to see some familiar faces posting. The thread became very quiet last year which worried me...I, for one, have massively appreciated the support offered by poster here and I know I'm not the only one. Here's to a 2019 with joys and fun and, hopefully less clutter and dirt...

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don't stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
WUDUPA ~ washed up, dried up, put away
WUALTD ~ washed up and left to dry
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
MAD half hour
- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...
Manic Monday - Kitchen Kapers

Level 1

Clear sides and wipe down
Replace what lives there, wiping kettle/toaster etc as you go
Empty bin and wipe it out
Wipe sill, sockets, door handles, drawer and cupboard handles and switches
Clear and clean sink and accessories - wash drainers

Level 2

Wipe down all cupboard and drawer fronts, and along the top/bottom and inside
Clean hob
Sort fridge and wipe seals; wash salad boxes etc
Wipe table/change cloth
Dust dining area/room

Level 3

Pick a messy cupboard or drawer and clean it out
Clean oven and hob
Sweep/mop/vacuum floor

extras
MAD half hour - if you haven't written your Toots list, write it; if you have written it then look it over and see if you can break down a big job into steps or even cross something off.
HHI.
S&S bathroom.
New month - make sure you have birthday etc cards ready - and stamps - then you are prepared for inclement weather!

Tuesday Toils - reclaim your sitting room/lounge

Level 1

Open the window w-i-d-e even if only for five minutes
Empty the bin
Give the sofas and seats the once over - leather wipe or a just-damp cloth to move any marks
Lift and swap cushions and seat pads - vacuum underneath before replacing any; don't forget crevices and backs
Rinse and squeeze out the cloth and wipe sockets, switches and door handles
Ensure electricals are clean - and wipe those remote controllers, too

Level 2

Make sure coffee tables etc are cleared and cleaned before replacing stuff neatly
Wipe any coasters
Dust all surfaces - don'[t forget the skirting boards
Give light fittings a dust, too
Check ceilings, covings etc for cobwebs - especially if you had a real tree or other living decorations

Level 3

Vacuum the floor moving as much furniture as possible
Polish the windows
Plump up cushions
Make sure that nothing is in here which doesn't live here
Wipe windows

Extras
HHI
MAD half hour - clean out a neglected drawer
S&S in the kitchen and bathroom
Join in an HHC - or call one!

Wishy Washy Wednesday Bathroom Blitz

Level 1

Shine the sink
Clean the loo inside and out - scrub that rim
Wipe the light pull
Wash out grimy, gungy toothbrush holders - and is it time to change toothbrushes?

Level 2

Clear the bath and clean it completely
Clear the shower cubicle/screen
Waggle a fine bottle brush down the plughole and pull back up to remove trapped hair etc

Level 3

Empty bins
Wash the windows
Scrub the floor
Replace the towels - and put the old ones in the WM for a HOT wash
Wash out the toothbrush holder
Polish all taps with a fluffy cloth
Put a slug of bleach down all plugholes and overflows

Extras

S&S kitchen
MAD half hour
HHI

Thursday Thrills - your bedroom should be a relaxing clutter-free space

Level one

Open the window
Strip the bed
Fling the sheets etc in the washbasket
Go and get your breakfast/kids off to school etc

Level 2

Close the window (like you haven't already)
Dust the headboard or vacuum as appropriate
remake the bed
Clear the floordrobe/chairdrobe or any other clutter
(see - looks better already)
Dust all horizontal surfaces - vertical too, if you have time
Polish any mirrors

Level Three

Clean the windows
Vacuum the floor
Make sure bedside cabinets are clear of clutter
Use a damp cloth to wipe those lotions and potions
Make sure you're not using stuff that's been open a long time - products do oxidise/deteriorate over time and in light/heat.

Extras

HHI - don't let it build up (we will gloss over my little heap then) - could do as part of a HHC
S&S bathroom
S&S kitchen
Make some me-time plans - meet up with a friend or get yourself primped and polished

Friday - Kids Room or Guest room

Level 1

Open the windows WIDE
Strip beds

after a suitable time (eat your breakfast)

Make the bed

Level 2

Dust every single surface - get the kids to sort out what's on them
Clean the windows
Check all lighting is functional especially the bedside lamp

Level 3

Vacuum thoroughly
Sort out a drawer or a cupboard

Extras

S&S kitchen
S&S bathroom
make sure the people you love know you love them.
Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
"I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
:heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear

Comments

• notimetospare
    Options
    Hi there,
    I would love to join all you lovely fly people as another year starts 🥂
    I have followed you for some time, but this is the year I’m jumping in and getting my house in order. I seem to be able to manage daily tasks but have a list as long as my arm for all those other pesky time consuming chores that never seem to get done.
    I am lucky that I have reduced my hours last September, but rather than achieving more I actually achieve less 😱
    So thanking you in advance for having me
    See you soon x
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all

Welcome notimetospare!

I have written myself a schedule for this week - work time, exercise time, flying time, and importantly some feet up time. Lets see how it goes. House is reasonably tidy - if you dont look too closely.

Off to put some clean laundry away and then pjs on and feet up. Sounds like someone is making a brew - better get my order in.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,781 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2019 at 8:47PM
    Options
    Welcome ntts see - I'm already saving time - mine lol

Looks like you're a victim of Parkinson's Law
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Natty68
    Natty68 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all, I'm in for this week, thankyou for the thread Valli

Welcome to the [STRIKE]mad house[/STRIKE] thread notimetospare :D

Just finished a lovely dinner cooked by DH and have just spent a good five minutes tempting the dog with a carrot, or two, as he hides things in his den. DH had the lovely job of retrieving things while said dog is distracted with carrots..lol

Washing hung up to dry on airer, another load ready to go on in the washing machine, clean washing folded up and put away in their various homes. Now just waiting for DH to finish the washing up and then we can settle down to watch a film on the t.v. as there isn't much else on that we fancy.
    Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️
  • funfairprincess
    Options
    Hiya flyfriends x

Thanks to Valli and Natty for the threads xxxx

I'm in again. Back to normality as of tomorrow when the schools and dancing go back. My intention is to get the housework out of the way during the week, so please fling fluffy mules at me as required!
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Thank you all for the lists, greatly appreciated as always.

Welcome notimetospare, I'm finding this thread addictive - in a good way though.

I've been out and about today, but seem to be on top of most things.

Washing basket was emptied this morning - full of Pickle clothes now, but that's allowed. Washing all hung up, the dry stuff from yesterday put away.

I've meal planned for the next two weeks (one week me cooking for the three of us, second week hubby cooking for just him & Pickle as I'm on a week long work trip.)
    I'm going to head off to the supermarket early in the morning to get the supplies in, then I guess I ought to start with 'the great woodworm sort out' urgh. Got to be done though.

Wish.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm in. Thanks for the list.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    I'm in, huge thanks xx

My house is draped in drying laundry, our bed needs making up and the DW is ready to go on. Putting my game face on for tomorrow (& lots of war paint!).

See you all tomorrow xx
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • Fayolle
    Fayolle Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi all
    I’m in and thank you so much as ever to Valli and Natty for the lists.

Welcome to notimetospare. :j

Tomorrow is a full day at work, but I’ll be in as much as I can before Tuesday. On the plus side, I’ve actually meal planned for the next couple of weeks. A first for the last couple of months.

Good luck tomorrow, ATB. We’re all rooting for you. You are going to be fab x
  • froddington
    froddington Posts: 6,697 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening! I'm in - thanks Valli :A

Last week was a bit of a wash out - laptop packed up and it took me 3 days to sort it; Mum is being argumentative!; BD is nipping at my heels; and today I have a mega sore throat!

So, this coming week has to be better - right?!!

Welcome to all newbies and returners x

Here goes my list . . . . . .

Manic Monday - Kitchen Kapers

Level 1

Clear sides and wipe down
    Replace what lives there, wiping kettle/toaster etc as you go
    Wipe sill, sockets and switches
    Clear and clean sink and accessories - wash drainers

Level 2
    Wipe down all cupboard and drawer fronts, and along the top/bottom and inside
    Clean hob

Level 3
    Pick a messy cupboard or drawer and clean it out
    Clean oven
    Vacuum floor

extras
    MAD half hour - if you haven't written your Toots list, write it; if you have written it then look it over and see if you can break down a big job into steps or even cross something off.

My one-a-day (or 7-a-weekend!!) list
    - Bag to charity shop
    - Collect prescription
    - Rainbow planning
    - Investigate bathroom fitters
    - Write to M and post
    - Sort savings account
    - Ring roofer
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors