Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Littletinks
    • By Littletinks 3rd Jan 19, 11:29 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 64Thanks
    Littletinks
    The time is now:
    • 3rd Jan 19, 11:29 PM
    The time is now: 3rd Jan 19 at 11:29 PM
    Somehow I stumbled across the DFW forum links quite by accident on 31st Dec ( this has to be one of the best sites I've ever been fortunate enough to find). I am a regular reader of the great Martin Lewis's emails and trust me when I say this, having read loads of posts over the last couple of days, I have never felt this positive about getting rid of, or at least cutting down my debts one step at time

Since 1st Jan I've completed an excel spreadsheet, registered to join two MSE threads and working One Day at time at getting things cleared down. The truth is, I've been in and out of debt for more than 20years but have always considered it manageable and it is, in as far as I have never had a failed DD. But I clear my debts down and some how it creeps back up. An impulse buy here and there there and suddenly wham you owe £000's again!! But I need to clear my debt off and keep it off for good this time! I will not be using any cc's (I have cut one up) with the exception of one which is a points rewards card and paid in full each month.

My plan:
    Debt 1 £531 store card clear by end of March
    Debt 2 £2233 cc @ 4.9% clear by 01/01/2020
    Debt 3 £6350 cc @ 0%

Joined two threads for added encouragement one is the virtual savings pot, the other debt free by Xmas.

To help clear down the debt I will be decluttering and selling on eBay and looking at new mortgage offers this week as my current fixed rate comes to an end soon and attempting to reduce my other outgoings .......... here goes .......
    Last edited by Littletinks; 04-01-2019 at 10:06 AM.
    Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge 2019 #9 £12.28/£200
    PDBX 2019 #65 target £119.39/£2800.90
    As of 1/1/19: Debt 1 £567.90 - plan to clear by end of March 19. Debt 2 £2233, Debt 3 £6390

Day one or One day, I'm pledging today as my day one, to a better future!
Page 1
    • Littletinks
    • By Littletinks 4th Jan 19, 10:27 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Littletinks
    • 4th Jan 19, 10:27 AM
    • 4th Jan 19, 10:27 AM
    Woke up feeling really motivated -yah! I can't remember when I last felt like this and it feels great, I hope it lasts!!! It would be great to speak to anyone else in a similar boat for added encouragement, share stories with and face the good and bad times with that I'm sure will pop up over the year. I'm not silly, I know I wont feel this motivated everyday.

This morning I've opened my virtual savings pot and tfr my first payment of £4.51.

Deleted all sale emails without opening them - that way I can't be tempted to buy 'another impulse deal of the century' when I know I don't need it, but convince myself it's a great deal in the sales and not to be missed, and I love it ! and I will wear it (sigh) scenario.

Later today I have call with my mortgage lender and hoping to get a good deal when my fix rate ends. I'm sure I can get it for less than it is now as it's at 3.09%.
    As of 1/1/19: Debt 1 £567.90 - plan to clear by end of March 19. Debt 2 £2233, Debt 3 £6390

• JohnJ76
    • By JohnJ76 4th Jan 19, 3:36 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    JohnJ76
    • 4th Jan 19, 3:36 PM
    • 4th Jan 19, 3:36 PM
    Good luck with clearing those debts and fingers crossed your mortgage meeting went well. If you snowball those then they will soon come down, clearing the smallest will be good encouragement and suddenly debt 2 wont look that big and before you know it you will be throwing everything at debt 3.
    • Littletinks
    • By Littletinks 4th Jan 19, 4:42 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Littletinks
    • 4th Jan 19, 4:42 PM
    • 4th Jan 19, 4:42 PM
    Happy new year to you JohnJ76 and thanks for your reply!

I did and my new rate for the next 2 years will be 1.79% So I'm feeling chuffed to bits! I need to think about this a bit, but I will either use the extra money to pay towards the mortgage as I don't believe rates will stay this low, or use it to pay towards clearing current cc debt.

Whilst some may not agree, I don't plan on putting every spare penny I have towards paying my debts off. As I said in my original post they are manageable, and I do still need to 'live' and enjoy myself or I'll go nuts and fall of the wagon. That said, I'm always looking for a good deal. Tonight the OH and I will be dinning at our local carvery. I have a 40% discount code so we can go out enjoy a fairly healthy meal and it'll be cheaper than a take away, so saving both £'s and lb's

Good luck on your journey too John.

• JohnJ76
    • By JohnJ76 4th Jan 19, 5:17 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    JohnJ76
    • 4th Jan 19, 5:17 PM
    • 4th Jan 19, 5:17 PM
    I'm in your camp. I tried to clear debts years ago and made good inroads, but was doing it at the expense of everything else. Eventually I snapped and it fell by the wayside although the spending was not on rubbish, but we should have been a bit more relaxed, everything in moderation etc!

Well done on the rate, as your mortgage is 1.79% and debt 2 is 4.9% and ''only'' £2200, I'd pay it off that and hopefully it will have it clear within the two year fix. I don't know what your monthly cc payments are but if you were in a position to clear within 2 years then you can overpay your mortgage then. Or put the mortgage payment saving into a savings account and then when you come to remortgage, if rates have risen depending on the LTV you could pay down a lump sum off your mortgage if it helped bring your LTV into a more favourable bracket. If you already have a good LTV (say <70%) you will already have access to lots of good rates. If by the end of the 2 year fix rates are still good you will have the lump sum to finish off your credit cards, pay off your mortgage, or put towards a holiday! In the meantime it will be a little extra buffer for lifes unexpected surprises.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 4th Jan 19, 6:11 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    • 4th Jan 19, 6:11 PM
    • 4th Jan 19, 6:11 PM
    Good luck on your journey!

I have a similar amount of debt to clear. How was your carvary? I love finding a good discount. Do you use cashback websites? I canít believe I didnít start using them years ago, I want to cry with all the cashback I could have had
    FD CC - 258.78/258.78, Santander CC - 107/3564.05, MBNA CC - 520/3144.96, Savings - £300/5000
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 4th Jan 19, 7:14 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    • 4th Jan 19, 7:14 PM
    • 4th Jan 19, 7:14 PM
    Well done littletinks, you sound really motivated to smash the debt!

I've been here before with the debt going up,down, gone abd back. I'm just tired of seeing those repayments going out everything abd think the of things I could do if I had it instead!

Good luck - keep us updated x
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 5th Jan 19, 12:52 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    • 5th Jan 19, 12:52 AM
    • 5th Jan 19, 12:52 AM
    Yay for deleting sales emails, have you considered unsubscribing from the emails altogether? I did and it stopped me from looking unnecessarily - out of sight, out of mind as it were .

Good luck on your journey .
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 7th Jan 19, 4:12 PM
    • 6,656 Posts
    • 25,212 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    • 7th Jan 19, 4:12 PM
    • 7th Jan 19, 4:12 PM
    Good luck on your journey x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £5400.00 Lloyds: £9670.00 BC: GONE Cap One: £444.25
    Jan LTW 10/22
    PAYDBX 2019 #041 PD £325.70/£5604.30
    Savings for Christmas £50.16/£500
    20p Savers 2019 £2 Savers 2019 50p Savers 2019 SPC 12 2019 #003
    • Littletinks
    • By Littletinks 7th Jan 19, 9:44 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Littletinks
    Thanks John. I hope to clear off my debts 1& 2 by the end of this year. Having thought for a bit I think I will pay these down as quick as poss and then save the difference.

• Littletinks
    • By Littletinks 7th Jan 19, 9:48 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Littletinks
    Good luck on your journey!

I have a similar amount of debt to clear. How was your carvary? I love finding a good discount. Do you use cashback websites? I canít believe I didnít start using them years ago, I want to cry with all the cashback I could have had
    Originally posted by ImpulseSpender
    Maybe we can keep each other motivated. The carvery was really nice thanks, no cooking or clearing up is always a plus lol. I don't tend to use cash back sites and have no reason why I don't. I've only just started using the one linked to my cc. I do always look out for discount codes before buying online though.

Good luck with your journey - WE CAN DO THIS!!

• Littletinks
    • By Littletinks 7th Jan 19, 10:08 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Littletinks
    Thanks to everyone for all of your comments and support, it's so nice being able to log and share my progress with you.

Here's a little update on the first 7 days into the new year:
    My total spend less DD's up until the end of yesterday was £27.29 with 2 no spending days - l made good use of the freezer last week, although it was helped by a big shop on 31st Dec! I also made £59 through eBay sales which has gone straight into my savings pot. I've listed some more bits on eBay to end this Sunday so hopefully some more pennies to come. My idea is that this will pay for treats/hol spending money for me as a reward for my hard work. I had budgeted £300 for food for me and OH ( we both take our work lunches out of this) so whatever is left over, will go off of paying down Debt1 at the beginning of next month. First payment of £92.39 paid off of debt target, so that's virtually 1/28th cleared off

And so week two begins - I've made a meal planner for the next two weeks
    and ordered an online shop - the delivery fee will be worth it, as I won't get tempted by all the wonderful treats at the end of every aisle.

Good luck to everyone this week!!

• nowpanicking
    • By nowpanicking 8th Jan 19, 7:35 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 1,511 Thanks
    nowpanicking
    Hi Littletinks!! Just popping in to say hi

Will subscribe. Hopefully we can encourage and help each other on our debt journeys!!

I do need to start having a look for deals/discounts on meals etc as I am not good at doing this at all! I also don't use cashback sites. Need to look into this as well

NP x
    New starting debt 30/12/2018 £29,805.53
    • Littletinks
    • By Littletinks 8th Jan 19, 8:31 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Littletinks
    Hi Littletinks!! Just popping in to say hi

Will subscribe. Hopefully we can encourage and help each other on our debt journeys!!

I do need to start having a look for deals/discounts on meals etc as I am not good at doing this at all! I also don't use cashback sites. Need to look into this as well

NP x
    Originally posted by nowpanicking
    Hey NP, thanks for popping by

I'm not sure what the restaurant situation is like where you live - have you got a tastecard. They have an offer at the moment £1 for 60 or 90 days. Most offers are 50% off for two, but some restaurants allow for up to 6 people at 50% off so you could go as a family. Or 40% off of Toby Carvery on weekdays made it £4.80 each and cafe rouge is 50% off any day of the week ( with code) until early Feb.

Have a look at the quidco cash back site. I don't personally use it, but know others that do who've saved a fair bit by using it.

X
    Last edited by Littletinks; 09-01-2019 at 5:29 PM.

• nowpanicking
    • By nowpanicking 10th Jan 19, 7:27 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 1,511 Thanks
    nowpanicking
    Hi Littletinks! No, I don't have a taste card. I will check it out as it would be good to be able to go out for meals more. I do have the Fr@nkie & Benny app on my phone and there are sometimes good deals on that. 50% of main meals is the deal just now which is pretty good.

I actually get cash back deals through my work as well but I always forget to use them. Need to get better at that!!

NP x
    • Littletinks
    • By Littletinks 13th Jan 19, 6:35 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Littletinks
    So week two went like this:

3 NSD's one of which was a battle with my conscience as I nearly made an impulse purchase on something I really didn't need, but was having a bit of a 'flat day' but I knew I'd feel worse for buying what I didn't need, so I managed to ward of making said purchase. (Yay)

My online delivery came so shopping was well under budget this week too. Although I always feel slightly disappointed there's no extra treats. I secretly wish that the person collecting my shopping might have thrown in a few extra bits, thinking I might like them based on my previous purchases. Well surprise surprise, on unpacking my shopping there were no interesting/scrummy treats thrown in along the way. Instead they have kept to my boring but healthy practical list and they've not been tempted by the end aisles . Mmmm, this is my downfall when let loose in the aisles lol. This week I've also:

Made an additional £20 this week on eBay

Added £7.77 to my virtual saving pot

Had lunch out with a friend using 50% discount at C@fe Rouge
    My mum visited yesterday so I treated her to lunch out. This was a unplanned spend but definitely worth it.

This afternoon I went for a Sunday walk and popped into my favourite shop to search out what yellow sticker delights (to me they feel like golden tickets) I could find - the buzz I get from finding a good deal comes second to none.

My findings included :
    4 chicken breasts £7 - £1.70
    Large fresh vegetable pizza £4 - £1
    Sandwich £2.50 - 25p x two (lunch sorted saving £4.50!)
    Flapjacks £2.60 - 40p
    Individual chicken & leek pie £3 - 50p

Feeling more than pleased with myself, I also acknowledged whilst I got a huge buzz I'm also aware that for me it's not a necessity and whilst I enjoy seeing if there's anything I think is too good to be missed, if I had to do this I would imagine it's very stressful. Therefore, I never pick up things I know we won't enjoy eating and are things on the whole we normally buy. I'm also not greedy stacking up my basket with far more than I need. I see some people with huge amounts but it's not for me to judge, they may need it, or share it with others.

I can't wait to see how much I have left at the end of the month to send as additional payments to my cc's! I'm almost tempted to make a payment now, but I'll wait until the end of the month.

On to week three we go, other than a shopping top up and a friend coming over for lunch next weekend (I'll be cooking), there's no planned purchases. I've a few more bits to put on eBay, I'm loving clearing out my wardrobe - I just need to try and reframe from refilling it lol. Week 3 here I come ........

I hope everyone's had a great week/weekend!

• nowpanicking
    • By nowpanicking 14th Jan 19, 6:37 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 1,511 Thanks
    nowpanicking
    Littletinks, your second week has gone really well! I'm impressed with your YS purchases, some real bargains

Also, well done on resisting buying something you didn't need. I'm going to try and avoid shops where possible which should bump up the NSDs. I suppose its all about stopping and thinking, do I really need that item? It can be a struggle though.

Hope your third week is as successful

NP x
    • Littletinks
    • By Littletinks 14th Jan 19, 7:11 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Littletinks
    Thanks NP

My trouble is more browsing online in the evenings especially if something pops up from stores or items I've previously looked at. But your right it's about thinking do I need it, or do I just momentarily want it. In most cases it's the later for me

I've managed another NSD today so feeling good about that today.

On another positive note, I worked out my total spend and deducted the extra income I've earned through eBay. So 14 days into the new year and less my DD's (which I don't count as they have to go out) my net spent is £62.78 which includes the two meals out last week, so that's another reason for me to stay focused!

Have a good week and keep up the good work your putting in too.

X

• Littletinks
    • By Littletinks 15th Jan 19, 10:27 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Littletinks
    Evening everyone,

Feeling great as I've just made a very easy £150 by switching my savings (current account) to another bank. I haven't switched since Feb 2017, when I switched to get £125 so I've been a bit lazy not switching since. I only use this acc for savings so I tend not to think about it. The £150 will be a nice addition to my savings. Money should be in my account by April

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,502Posts Today

9,529Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Perhaps the only thing we truly learn from this poll is we are generally optimistic. Most Brexiteers think Brexit w? https://t.co/DoosVRvneE

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ??Join the UK's biggest consumer website ??Make a difference ??Work with brilliant journalists ??Collaborate with top b?

• Today's Twitter poll: Do you believe the UK will leave the European Union in 2019? PS. Twitter/my following tends? https://t.co/U3DknxaJOG

• Follow Martin