PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• Sayschezza
    Options
    I think you all sound and look fabulous. Love the different individual styles. Clearly you all know what you look best in and it shows in your posts. I have spent the day in black trousers and a grey, black and bright blue shirt. Nothing particularly eye catching but I was intending to go into town today wherein I would have added a bright blue scarf, grey dufflecoat and carry my blue handbag. At 75 my hair is silver so I like to wear eye catching outfits otherwise I disappear into the woodwork.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    You sound perfectly dressed for a creative day at home. (I’m working from home today, so am dressed in my regulation jeans-and-a-jumper.)

I’m in awe that you’re knitting socks on a loom! How do you do the heels and toes?

- Pip

Well..... The pattern itself is a no heel pattern, and the toe is done with a 2\3rds gather and then whip stitch to close. They're ideal in front of the fire with a good book type socks but not for outdoor wear. Effectively slipper socks.
    I had them on most of the afternoon whilst I then loom knitted a slouch beanie.
    Today's project start is the leg warmers, and hopefully I'll have one done by the end of the day
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • CAFCGirl
    Options
    Not sure if this works, and the kindle camera is awful but this is my hat https://pin.it/wkj6axq277madl
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 February 2019 at 1:38PM
    Options
    Oooh, leg warmers! D'you know, that might be a practical project with the Cascade? And they're something I actually need; I do own some cardigans already!

Ooops... wandered over to Ravelry, found this, bought a (secondhand) copy of the book... In my defence, that's going to be a useful technique to learn, even if it is in American!
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    Gosh there are some really talented people on this board!

My news - I've finished OH's jumper, and I've just got to sew it up - yuk! I've also started knitting a little blanket to use up some of those half balls of wool I have knocking round the place.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • vintagegal
    Options
    Hello!
    I can’t add much to the workwear debate as I work for a fashion retailer and our office dress code is very casual. I do like it because it means I can wear whatever I like.
    In other news the eBay Grenson’s came and they are FABULOUS!! I’m so happy with them. And coupon free!!
    I have unearthed a brand new monsoon cord pinafore from my wardrobe which needs the buttons moving to be wearable. Am hoping to do it tomorrow as I also need to do a repair to my sons school blazer.
    Have been spending waaaay too much time on eBay but I know I can’t be fooled by the success of the Grenson’s. Don’t want to get carried away!
    Fashion on the Ration 2020 - 5/66 spent
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    vintagegal wrote: »
    In other news the eBay Grenson’s came and they are FABULOUS!! I’m so happy with them. And coupon free!!

YESSS!!!!! Hurrah and hurrah!
    I have unearthed a brand new monsoon cord pinafore from my wardrobe which needs the buttons moving to be wearable. Am hoping to do it tomorrow as I also need to do a repair to my sons school blazer.
    Have been spending waaaay too much time on eBay but I know I can’t be fooled by the success of the Grenson’s. Don’t want to get carried away!

Excellent re the Monsoon pinafore too - see, you get a brand new frock that you wouldn't otherwise be wearing!

And even better news that you are keeping a cautious eye on those eBay sisters with their endless stocks of things you never realised you wanted.... watch them, they're a bit too persuasive at times!
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • CAFCGirl
    Options
    Oooh, leg warmers! D'you know, that might be a practical project with the Cascade? And they're something I actually need; I do own some cardigans already!

Ooops... wandered over to Ravelry, found this, bought a (secondhand) copy of the book... In my defence, that's going to be a useful technique to learn, even if it is in American!

That pattern looks fun! Ideal autumn\winter styling I'd say.
    I started work on my leg warmers but I'll need to source a ball of yarn in a blue ( I thought I had one but alas not). I opted to go with rainbows and they look so joyful already! I'll attempt to add a photo once they're done :rotfl:
  • Sayschezza
    Options
    Sayschezza wrote: »
    3 long sleeve tees to wear under woolies and a jumper = 14 hope that's correct. Total now 30 coupons used. I am never going to manage this without the black market.

Took 1top back for a refund as it was the wrong colour blue so down to 27? Points.
    At least I am learning that things have to be exactly right before purchasing which is an important learning curve for me. I swear I have single handily kept the CS stocked up in the past.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • BabyStepper
    Options
    Love the pics. :)

I have more spends to report. I bought 2 cardigans and returned one, 5 coupons spent. I also got 5 pairs of socks.

36.5/66 coupons spent.

These coupons do not seem to be lasting long at all!
    Emergency fund £8,500/£8,500
    Mortgage overpayment £260
    Debtfree!
    £21,228.07 paid off in 22 months
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business