IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Britannia Parking/BW Legal letter - First letter

Afternoon all,

I just want clarification on an issue I am having. I have received a letter from Britannia Parking (Weirdly, with a BW Legal letter inclosed) saying that my account has been transferred over to them and to not contact Britannia Parking from now on. Firstly, this is the FIRST letter I have had about a parking ticket from Britannia - This goes back to March 2017! Secondly, there is no real 'proof' in this letter, it just says I parked there in March and that is it - Is this normal? Also, what steps could I take from now on regarding this?

Thanks,

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    send BRIT a SAR to their DPO by email and get all the paperwork, including the original NTK, so you can see what happened and what they sent and where they sent it etc

I do not believe it says what you have said

it may say that the VEHICLE was parked there in March and as the RK that you are or were responsible. they do not monitor people, they monitor vehicles - think about it

if the B W LEGAL letter is a debt collector letter , IGNORE it
  • GreenmanBRS
    GreenmanBRS Posts: 30 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 December 2018 at 7:20PM
    Sorry, you're absolutely right. It did mention the vehicle rather than me

The BW Legal letter is basically saying that the PCN has been passed to them - Balance is £100 + £60 for their 'legal costs' Also mentions about it maybe going to county court proceedings.

Even though Britannia in their letter to me says to contact BW rather than them, I will still send the SAR to Britannia? Do I send anything to BW either or ignore it at this stage?
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Yes, of course you send the SAR to the DATA CONTROLLER. THey are the people controlluing your data. You can send a SAR to anyone, regardless of who else theyve told you to contact....

YOu send a holding letter to BW statingto restrict processing as there si a SAR in place, and there is no pressing urgent need for them to rush into lituigation.
  • Redx
    edited 17 December 2018 at 4:43PM
    you should not be telling anyone who was driving, especially not on a public forum like this one

millions of people in this country can drive that vehicle, legally and illegally, including me (legally) , MOT testers, chauffeurs , mechanics, any adult with comprehensive insurance etc

these companies trawl sites like this looking for victims who blab in public, so edit your posts above accordingly

I already told you who to send the SAR to, so read my previous answer

if the B W LEGAL letter gave you 6 DAYS to reply, IGNORE it or do as Nosferatu says above

if it gave 30 days and included financial forms, then rebut it
  • Just thought I would give an update to this - I sent the SAR to Britannia which I have received a response asking that they need more info as they can't find me on record.

As mentioned, I informed BW about the SAR in progress. Weirdly, they also sent me all data on me as well - What was bizarre was that it didn't contain much of anything - It's given me a copy of all the letters they sent me, yet, all apart from one is ones I have never seen before/received. I am guessing this is normal mind.

Cheers all for the help. It is appreciated.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Just thought I would give an update to this - I sent the SAR to Britannia which I have received a response asking that they need more info as they can't find me on record.

As mentioned, I informed BW about the SAR in progress. Weirdly, they also sent me all data on me as well - What was bizarre was that it didn't contain much of anything - It's given me a copy of all the letters they sent me, yet, all apart from one is ones I have never seen before/received. I am guessing this is normal mind.

Cheers all for the help. It is appreciated.

The SAR business with BWLegal and Britannia is now becoming highly suspicious

Ask Britannia what information they need
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Complain to your MP as it is the the will of Parliament that these scammers be put out of business.

Hopefully that will take place in the near future. The Bill has passed through the HOC without hitch, and goes to the Lords soon. In the meantime involve your MP, the poor dears are buckling under the weight of complaints about these scammers.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of alleged contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors. Is has been suggested by an MP that some of these companies may have connections to organised crime.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, (especially Smart}, and others have already been named and shamed in the House of Commons as have Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each week), hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned. They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

The problem has become so widespread that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers.

Sir Greg Knight's Private Members Bill to curb the excesses, and perhaps close down, some of these companies passed its Third Reading in late November, and, with a fair wind, will become Law next year.

All three readings are available to watch on the internet, (some 6-7 hours), and published in Hansard. MPs have an extremely low opinion of the industry. Many are complaining that they are becoming overwhelmed by complaints from members of the public. Add to their burden, complain in the most robust terms about the scammers.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Evening all.

So, I have another update regarding this - I have heard back from Britannia again - The address they have on record doesn't match my address - In fact, when they asked me to supply my address, the documents they have since sent to me are for a different address. What can I do regarding this now?

Cheers,
  • Redx
    I would email them back and complain that they have not fulfilled your previous request for data on YOU and YOUR vehicle, plus they have given you somebody elses data by mistake which is a clear breach of the GDPR

ie:- assume they have breached the GDPR twice and put it back to them, making them dig themselves out of their own hole, they may just drop it due to the complications they have made for themselves

threaten them with the ICO again if they do not comply
  • Thanks, I will do that.

Today though, from BW, I have received a 'Claim Form' county court letter regarding this - I did ask them to put this on hold while this was going on but apparently that has now happened? - Now I have this claim form. Is there any way I can hold them off for now?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure