Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AFF8879
    • By AFF8879 14th Dec 18, 4:13 PM
    • 441Posts
    • 1,080Thanks
    AFF8879
    Tried unblocking sink but made it worse- time to call a plumber?
    • 14th Dec 18, 4:13 PM
    Tried unblocking sink but made it worse- time to call a plumber? 14th Dec 18 at 4:13 PM
    So once again the internet has lied terribly and made a bad situation worse.

I’ve had a slow running bathroom sink for a while now and decided today to attempt to fix it again. I have previously tried shop bought sink unblocker, boiling water, vinegar, washing up liquid and one of those extended wires with a brush head you can manoeuvre about. None have worked.

So today I read multiple articles that suggested a combination of salt, baking soda and boiling water. Having attempted this the sink is now totally blocked with sitting water.

Any ideas or should I resign myself to paying for a professional?
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 14th Dec 18, 4:25 PM
    • 3,520 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 14th Dec 18, 4:25 PM
    • 14th Dec 18, 4:25 PM
    Have you taken the u bend apart ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Whitefiver
    • By Whitefiver 14th Dec 18, 4:29 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    Whitefiver
    • 14th Dec 18, 4:29 PM
    • 14th Dec 18, 4:29 PM
    Hi,

Before you call anyone in, might just be worth trying a hot solution of Soda Crystals. Around £1 per Kg from e.g. Tesco, I believe.

Instructions are probably on the packet, but I use a couple of tablespoons of Soda in a pint of hot water (take care!), pour it down the plug hole, and leave for 10 minutes. Get as little as possible on any metalwork.

Follow up with a kettle of hot water.

One application usually works for my shower.

Hope that helps.
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 14th Dec 18, 4:34 PM
    • 2,180 Posts
    • 70,738 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 14th Dec 18, 4:34 PM
    • 14th Dec 18, 4:34 PM
    As Robin9 says, take the U-bend - could be a P-trap - off and clear that out then replace.

If it's gone so solid that you cannot clear it then buy another, they only cost a few quid from hardware shop or the likes of B&Q.

Remove any water from the sink first using a small cup or similar and put some towels or something underneath to catch what's left in the pipe when you remove the bend.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 14th Dec 18, 4:38 PM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 1,602 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 14th Dec 18, 4:38 PM
    • 14th Dec 18, 4:38 PM
    As above, remove the u-bend. A couple of minutes with a bucket and you'll be done.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 14th Dec 18, 4:48 PM
    • 34,337 Posts
    • 40,433 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 14th Dec 18, 4:48 PM
    • 14th Dec 18, 4:48 PM
    It can be the level pipe leading away from the u bend that's blocked , sometimes because of poor installation there's a slight drop in the level of the pipe towards the u bend and crap accumulation happens
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Working Mum
    • By Working Mum 14th Dec 18, 4:50 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 1,198 Thanks
    Working Mum
    • 14th Dec 18, 4:50 PM
    • 14th Dec 18, 4:50 PM
    I had the same problem - i removed the U bend, cleaned it thoroughly (awful job) and replaced it - I have zero DIY plumbing skills so it's an easy job to do for a complete novice!!

Kept a cloth underneath the ubend for a few days as there was a slow drip but I just tightening it.
    • General Applause
    • By General Applause 14th Dec 18, 7:21 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    General Applause
    • 14th Dec 18, 7:21 PM
    • 14th Dec 18, 7:21 PM
    Use a plunger. Remember to block the overflow whilst plunging.
    • keith969
    • By keith969 15th Dec 18, 5:27 AM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    keith969
    • 15th Dec 18, 5:27 AM
    • 15th Dec 18, 5:27 AM
    HG Duo drain unblocker. It's expensive, but cheaper than a plumber!
    Heaven wasn't built in a day
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 15th Dec 18, 5:32 AM
    • 9,825 Posts
    • 15,108 Thanks
    worried jim
    One shot- if you can get your hands on it now.

https://shop.wessexcleaning.com/the-cheeky-panda
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • paddy's mum
    • By paddy's mum 15th Dec 18, 7:31 AM
    • 3,622 Posts
    • 13,041 Thanks
    paddy's mum
    If you do get a plumber in, make sure you warn him about the rake of toxic stuff that might still be lingering in the pipes.
    • AFF8879
    • By AFF8879 12th Jan 19, 7:24 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    AFF8879
    So a few weeks later, after being away for Christmas, I decided to finally attempt to fix this again.

I removed the drawers from the runners of the cabinet unit where the u bend is and removed both parts. I gave them a thorough clean using my power shower with the jet set to the narrowest width. A LOT of gunk came out, so I thought yes Iíve finally fixed it. I reassembled the u bend and now.... itís completely blocked. Ie not just slow running but sitting water.

In a bit of disbelief...how is it possible that both times Iíve tried recommendations itís not only not worked, but made the problem worse?!

Iím wondering if I didnít reassemble the u bend properly but itís so straightforward it doesnít seem possible, plus itís definitely not leaking as Iíve left the drawer out and can see thereís no dripping etc...

• Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 12th Jan 19, 7:37 PM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 2,926 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    The blockage is beyond the trap, Try a Hydropump type plunger, hold a thumb over the overflow (or recruit a willing assistant to do it) then plunge away.

This type are very effective.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amtech-S1502-Large-Plunger-Multi-Colour/dp/B0030E0G2K/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1547321692&sr=8-10&keywords=plunger
    • AFF8879
    • By AFF8879 12th Jan 19, 7:45 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    AFF8879
    Cheers, I have something similar actually- but I have a sink that has one of those attached plug hole covers that is attached directly (and can be flipped round to either trap the water or let it flow) - the plungers wont fit around it unless it’s closed (no use!), I tried to pull it off but couldn’t see an easy way to get it off without breaking it (I’m clearly not very DIY savvy!)
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 12th Jan 19, 8:34 PM
    • 3,373 Posts
    • 2,414 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Can you get at any of the pipework beyond the trap? If so, take it apart. The blockage will be at a bend.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Homersimpson
    • By Homersimpson 13th Jan 19, 12:15 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    Homersimpson
    If I were doing this and I couldn't find any bends to remove and inspect I would first try removing the P trap and rodding down the pipe as far as I could with something long.

If not then as an extreme measure I would stick a hose pipe down the pipe, put a bucket/bowl under the pipe and use my hands to seal the hose to the drain pipe and see if you can use water pressure to clear it.

Be warned thought as this could end up as a serious flood if your not careful but desperate times call for desperate measures!
    I have a lot of problems with my neighbours, they hammer and bang on the walls sometimes until 2 or 3 in the morning - some nights I can hardly hear myself drilling
    • Dippypud
    • By Dippypud 13th Jan 19, 12:22 PM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 16,884 Thanks
    Dippypud
    Get a drain snake...

Remove 'P'-trap and as has been said rod beyond the 'P' ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GJHHTRQ/ref=asc_df_B07GJHHTRQ58014737/?!!!!!googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B07GJHHTRQ&linkCode =df0&hvadid=309862953042&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand =16230819013875669521&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev =c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9072494&hvtargid=p la-625901866557
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ilyŽ yantŽ ranya nar vanwŽ"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,917Posts Today

8,709Users online

Martin's Twitter