Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kippers
    • By kippers 12th Dec 18, 5:09 PM
    • 1,970Posts
    • 6,038Thanks
    kippers
    Luxury pudding on the cheap...
    • 12th Dec 18, 5:09 PM
    Luxury pudding on the cheap... 12th Dec 18 at 5:09 PM
    Im going to a xmas party with friends and i have promised to take a pudding. In the past ive made a trifle, a chocolate log and a cheese cake and i want to make something different this year.

Can anyone think of a cheap, easy pudding that looks really good and tastes divine?

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 19-12-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Page 1
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 12th Dec 18, 6:16 PM
    • 3,171 Posts
    • 42,497 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    • 12th Dec 18, 6:16 PM
    • 12th Dec 18, 6:16 PM
    What about Pavlova? If you use the egg yolks to make lemon curd to top it with instead of fruit including a pot of cream would cost £3-4 depending where you shop - I use Aldi
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 12th Dec 18, 6:31 PM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 7,343 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 12th Dec 18, 6:31 PM
    • 12th Dec 18, 6:31 PM
    Eton mess; chocolate mousse; profiteroles; Charlotte russe.

Or something more solid? Sticky toffee pudding.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Dec 18, 6:55 PM
    • 30,329 Posts
    • 63,700 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 12th Dec 18, 6:55 PM
    • 12th Dec 18, 6:55 PM
    Nowt more thrifty than crumble

Not v festive though.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    • 5,593 Posts
    • 34,103 Thanks
    caronc
    • 12th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    • 12th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    Strudel made with mincemeat and apple wrapped in filo either a big one or individual squares is relatively cheap and easy to do. Or an apple and cranberry wreath made with ready rolled puff pastry. Served with cream or custard or ice cream whichever is easiest on the night.

If you fancy a festive pavlova Mary Berry's festive wreath looks and tastes great https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/christmas_pavlova_20589 , if you want to keep the costs down make custard using the egg yolks instead of the cream.

• LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Dec 18, 7:26 PM
    • 2,903 Posts
    • 36,368 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 12th Dec 18, 7:26 PM
    • 12th Dec 18, 7:26 PM
    Hereís an easy least one made with just three ingredients, a tin of berries in fruit juice (raspberries are best but strawberries or black currants will do at a push but must be in juice not syrup) a bag of pink & white marshmallows and a carton of whipping cream
    Cut the marshmallows into quarters, stir in the berries & juice and leave in the fridge overnight to soak. Next morning whip your cream and stir it into the fruity marshmallows and put back into the fridge for a few hours. Itís like a fruity mousse and never fails to please.
    • kippers
    • By kippers 12th Dec 18, 7:44 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 6,038 Thanks
    kippers
    • 12th Dec 18, 7:44 PM
    • 12th Dec 18, 7:44 PM
    Hereís an easy least one made with just three ingredients, a tin of berries in fruit juice (raspberries are best but strawberries or black currants will do at a push but must be in juice not syrup) a bag of pink & white marshmallows and a carton of whipping cream
    Cut the marshmallows into quarters, stir in the berries & juice and leave in the fridge overnight to soak. Next morning whip your cream and stir it into the fruity marshmallows and put back into the fridge for a few hours. Itís like a fruity mousse and never fails to please.
    Originally posted by LaineyT
    That sounds lovely....how big is the packet of marshmellows and how big is the carton of whipping cream?
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 12th Dec 18, 7:48 PM
    • 9,400 Posts
    • 60,959 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    • 12th Dec 18, 7:48 PM
    • 12th Dec 18, 7:48 PM
    Lainey, you genius! Could you use frozen raspberries instead of tinned?
    One life - your life - live it!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Dec 18, 7:53 PM
    • 2,903 Posts
    • 36,368 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 12th Dec 18, 7:53 PM
    • 12th Dec 18, 7:53 PM
    That sounds lovely....how big is the packet of marshmellows and how big is the carton of whipping cream?
    Originally posted by kippers
    I use a 225g bag of marshmallows with a 300ml carton of cream.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Dec 18, 7:54 PM
    • 2,903 Posts
    • 36,368 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Lainey, you genius! Could you use frozen raspberries instead of tinned?
    Originally posted by Nargleblast
    Hmm, not sure Nargle as itís acid in the juice that breaks the sweets down iyswim. It was my DMís recipe and was called pink surprise
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Dec 18, 8:24 PM
    • 30,329 Posts
    • 63,700 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Hmm, not sure Nargle as itís acid in the juice that breaks the sweets down iyswim. It was my DMís recipe and was called pink surprise
    Frozen raspberries have plenty of acid in them, but the decomposition could take a little longer.

OP - be aware that this is not a recipe suitable for veggies.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 12th Dec 18, 8:25 PM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 6,263 Thanks
    Brambling
    This meringue roulade is an easy recipe I use Greek yoghurt rather than cream which people prefer and add raspberries

http://foodiesfestival.com/blog/recipes/lemon-meringue-roulade-by-c4s-sunday-brunch-host-simon-rimmer/

The carnation milk website has some good cheesecake desserts the key lime pieis particularly good
    • sooty&sweep
    • By sooty&sweep 12th Dec 18, 9:31 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    sooty&sweep
    A favourite from me is Tiramisu

Jen
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 12th Dec 18, 9:53 PM
    • 2,819 Posts
    • 4,015 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Does it come out like a berry moouse?
    • timehastoldme
    • By timehastoldme 13th Dec 18, 7:26 AM
    • 203 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    timehastoldme
    Like the berry mousse recipe

One I learned a while ago is pear and ginger trifle, this is Jamaican ginger cake (cheapest in home bargains) sliced into the bottom of a dish, topped with sliced tinned pears (without adding juice), then finished with a layer of custard and a layer of whipped cream, topped with toasted almonds if I'm feeling posh, or a crumbled flake if not.

And I've just read you wanted something different from trifle, sorry OP!
    Last edited by timehastoldme; 13-12-2018 at 7:29 AM.
    • kippers
    • By kippers 13th Dec 18, 7:59 AM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 6,038 Thanks
    kippers
    Thank you for all your yummy replies, im still not sure though i love the marshmello idea.
    • JingsMyBucket
    • By JingsMyBucket 13th Dec 18, 9:14 AM
    • 417 Posts
    • 4,531 Thanks
    JingsMyBucket
    Frozen raspberries have plenty of acid in them, but the decomposition could take a little longer.

OP - be aware that this is not a recipe suitable for veggies.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    There are vegetarian marshmallows nowadays so that could be easily subbed if the OP needs it.
    MAY19 GC: $182.18/$450.00 // 10/12 NSD
    APR19 GC: $722.15/$500.00
    MAR 19 GC: $312.83/$300.00 // 12/12 NSD
    Save 12K in 2019 - $633.95/$12,000 #123 5.2% )
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 13th Dec 18, 9:19 AM
    • 4,469 Posts
    • 15,524 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    Like the berry mousse recipe

One I learned a while ago is pear and ginger trifle, this is Jamaican ginger cake (cheapest in home bargains) sliced into the bottom of a dish, topped with sliced tinned pears (without adding juice), then finished with a layer of custard and a layer of whipped cream, topped with toasted almonds if I'm feeling posh, or a crumbled flake if not.

And I've just read you wanted something different from trifle, sorry OP!
    Originally posted by timehastoldme

I am definitely going to try this.

I've also been served a chocolate orange trifle (suitable for vegetarians); there are lots of interesting variations.

Another easy option is key lime pie; I do one with a digestive biscuit base (easy to use gluten-free here) and then lime juice & zest mixed with condensed milk. This is less heavy/rich than a lot of puddings.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 13th Dec 18, 10:17 AM
    • 3,002 Posts
    • 58,045 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1897659/chocolate-orange-cheesecake

Never fails to impress people and should come in between the £3/4 point.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 13th Dec 18, 10:39 AM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 7,343 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Would that marshmallow mousse thing keep if not all eaten at once? Thinking that the whipped cream might revert to liquid ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,746Posts Today

8,445Users online

Martin's Twitter