Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • reym
    • By reym 10th Nov 18, 9:35 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    reym
    Student duped into becoming mole
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:35 PM
    Student duped into becoming mole 10th Nov 18 at 9:35 PM
    Hello,
    I am an International student studying in the UK. Recently an acquaintance from university told me if I gave him my sort code and account number, and withdrew some cash he would give me 300 pounds. I stupidly accepted, as I really needed some money for day to day expenses at that time.

On the day 5000 pounds was entered into my account, I went withdrew it and gave it to him. Two days later, my bank account was closed and the bank sent a letter saying I have 16 days to withdraw any remaining funds in my account. I think I have a CIFAS marker on me, but am not sure.

I am currently scared of any implications I may face and would like to get some advice on what to do, and if there are any serious issues I may face, besides not being able to open a UK bank account. I currently have 8 more months before I finish my degree, and would like to know if there could be long-term repercussions, and the chances of me facing prosecution or being arrested for this.
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 10th Nov 18, 9:41 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 1,435 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:41 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:41 PM
    The CIFAS will be there for 6 years.

What category CIFAS marker was applied?

You’ll find it extremely difficult to get any form of high end (and even low end) credit now - bank accounts, credit cards, loans, mortgages etc.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 10th Nov 18, 9:49 PM
    • 9,648 Posts
    • 14,845 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:49 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:49 PM
    Game over for you. Fortunately it will only be a burden for 8 months till you leave the U.K. Choose to remain and you will struggle to get any banking facilities for six years.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 10th Nov 18, 10:13 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 323 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:13 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:13 PM
    Was your course law or financial services of any sort (accountancy etc)?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 10th Nov 18, 10:17 PM
    • 32,901 Posts
    • 20,721 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:17 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 10:17 PM
    I hope you have now crossed this acquaintance off your social list, don't talk to them, don't even share anything with them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

240Posts Today

3,255Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin