Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whambam
    • By whambam 10th Nov 18, 9:19 PM
    • 286Posts
    • 29Thanks
    whambam
    Subject Access Request DWP
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:19 PM
    Subject Access Request DWP 10th Nov 18 at 9:19 PM
    Hello,

This is great for helping someone out who doesn't have a clue about their history or current benefits there on you can even get details sent to another address for your information. You need their name, address and national insurance number.

https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/personal-information-request/name
Page 1
    • venison
    • By venison 10th Nov 18, 11:19 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 2,843 Thanks
    venison
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:19 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:19 PM
    Who wouldn't know what benefits they are on?
    I'm genuinely curios
    Thanks for stopping by, have a good day/night/week/weekend/life
    • whambam
    • By whambam 10th Nov 18, 11:55 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    whambam
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:55 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 11:55 PM
    People with dementia do not speak or read english. Autistic people with no mental capacity.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 11th Nov 18, 6:42 AM
    • 940 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 11th Nov 18, 6:42 AM
    • 11th Nov 18, 6:42 AM
    Who wouldn't know what benefits they are on?
    I'm genuinely curios
    Originally posted by venison
    A lot of people do only have a vague idea of exactly what benefits they receive.
    • K80 Black
    • By K80 Black 11th Nov 18, 8:24 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    K80 Black
    • 11th Nov 18, 8:24 AM
    • 11th Nov 18, 8:24 AM
    Thanks!

I am fairly sure in around 2014, I was on ESA and PIP and didn't apply for the SDP as I was unaware I was due it. This way I can check and have the information to hand instead of phoning them up with vague information. Wish me luck, a little backpayment would be really handy at the moment!
    • _shel
    • By _shel 11th Nov 18, 9:50 AM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 2,831 Thanks
    _shel
    • 11th Nov 18, 9:50 AM
    • 11th Nov 18, 9:50 AM
    Thanks!

I am fairly sure in around 2014, I was on ESA and PIP and didn't apply for the SDP as I was unaware I was due it. This way I can check and have the information to hand instead of phoning them up with vague information. Wish me luck, a little backpayment would be really handy at the moment!
    Originally posted by K80 Black
    You wouldn't necessarily be due backpay if you failed to claim something. That's your responsibility and it's now tough luck.

The ones getting back payments were subject to a government errors when transferred to esa.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 11th Nov 18, 10:07 AM
    • 3,794 Posts
    • 3,610 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 11th Nov 18, 10:07 AM
    • 11th Nov 18, 10:07 AM
    You wouldn't necessarily be due backpay if you failed to claim something. That's your responsibility and it's now tough luck.

The ones getting back payments were subject to a government errors when transferred to esa.
    Originally posted by _shel
    I'm unsure if that applies to SDP because of the criteria it's not automatically paid.

So many people have no idea this exists, therefore they lose out on this premium. I'd be interested to hear others opinions regarding this. Maybe calcotti, Alice or pmlindyloo can help us out here?
    • _shel
    • By _shel 11th Nov 18, 10:14 AM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 2,831 Thanks
    _shel
    • 11th Nov 18, 10:14 AM
    • 11th Nov 18, 10:14 AM
    I'm unsure if that applies to SDP because of the criteria it's not automatically paid.

So many people have no idea this exists, therefore they lose out on this premium. I'd be interested to hear others opinions regarding this. Maybe calcotti, Alice or pmlindyloo can help us out here?
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    I know everyone on here says that but I've never claimed SDP separately. Claimed SDA, IB and ESA about 4 times in between working and always had SDP automatically added!

That aside wouldn't normal backdating rules apply? Lack of knowledge about it isn't generally enough to get backdating and even then it's only for a couple of weeks.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 11th Nov 18, 10:20 AM
    • 3,794 Posts
    • 3,610 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 11th Nov 18, 10:20 AM
    • 11th Nov 18, 10:20 AM
    I'm not sure how you've always had the SDP automatically added. The reason it's not done this way is because of the criteria.

When i first claimed PIP 5 years ago, i had to apply for it myself because they didn't add it. EDP is automatically added.

I realise that ignorance isn't usually enough to have a benefit backdated but for SDP i'm not convinced that applies.
    Last edited by poppy12345; 11-11-2018 at 10:25 AM. Reason: spelling
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 11th Nov 18, 12:18 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    calcotti
    Lack of knowledge about it isn't generally enough to get backdating and even then it's only for a couple of weeks.
    SDP will be fully backdated if you can demonstrate you qualified.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 11th Nov 18, 12:30 PM
    • 17,576 Posts
    • 44,443 Thanks
    elsien
    Hello,

This is great for helping someone out who doesn't have a clue about their history or current benefits there on you can even get details sent to another address for your information. You need their name, address and national insurance number.

https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/personal-information-request/name
    Originally posted by whambam
    Do you know how long it takes/ I'm working with someone who can't access their UC account and wants to find out what they were getting before the claim was closed.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 11th Nov 18, 12:50 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    calcotti
    Do you know how long it takes/ I'm working with someone who can't access their UC account and wants to find out what they were getting before the claim was closed.
    Originally posted by elsien
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-your-personal-information-from-the-department-for-work-and-pensions
    It says within one month.

There is information her about what is kept and how long for https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-work-pensions/about/personal-information-charter#ask-for-a-copy-of-the-information-we-hold-about-you
    If anyone wants a complete record of all their dealings with DWP going back many years they probably will not get because some of the date will have been erased.
    Last edited by calcotti; 11-11-2018 at 12:52 PM.
    • K80 Black
    • By K80 Black 11th Nov 18, 2:20 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    K80 Black

I've read success stories on this forum of it being paid back many years when people realised they were entitled to it - I'm willing to sit on hold for a while to find out!

I did ask when I first applied for it how long it could be backdated to - because I moved to NI, it was the date my claim started here. I fear I may have been told the correct answer for the department I was dealing with - THEY could backdate it to the date I switched over, but maybe the lovely people across the sea could backdate even further.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 11th Nov 18, 2:32 PM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 2,831 Thanks
    _shel
    SDP will be fully backdated if you can demonstrate you qualified.
    Originally posted by calcotti
    I've read success stories on this forum of it being paid back many years when people realised they were entitled to it - I'm willing to sit on hold for a while to find out!

I did ask when I first applied for it how long it could be backdated to - because I moved to NI, it was the date my claim started here. I fear I may have been told the correct answer for the department I was dealing with - THEY could backdate it to the date I switched over, but maybe the lovely people across the sea could backdate even further.
    Originally posted by K80 Black
    I thought wrong. Calcotti states above it will be paid regardless if you prove you were entitled.
    • nicetomeetyou
    • By nicetomeetyou 11th Nov 18, 6:41 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    nicetomeetyou
    What documents would you get in a Subject Access Request. Say I have a appointee, would I be able to request all my documents or would the appointee?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,875Posts Today

6,491Users online

Martin's Twitter