PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can a EA let to someone else before you move in?

Options
I viewed a place around 6 weeks ago and paid £200 reference fee. I passed the checks and the agent said I was scheduled to move in on 23rd of November and the deposit and one month rent must be paid before then for the keys are to be handed over. I said ok and asked for the bank details. I also got a copy of the agreement in my name. I've heard nothing else from the agent and I was going to pay the deposit and rent next week. So a week before due to move in.

The house was taken off of the property website Zoopla but was left on the estate agents site and the To let sign has been on the house up until today. The signs been taken down and I'm a little worried that because I've not paid the deposit they may have let it to someone else.
Is this possible? They are closed now until Monday to ask.

Comments

• Wanderingpomm
    Options
    I imagine they have taken them down because they have let it to you
  • bflare
    bflare Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I imagine they have taken them down because they have let it to you

Yeah but it's been up for 4 weeks after I had paid the ref fee still saying To Let. They didn't change it to Let By & now it's been taken down completely.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 November 2018 at 4:46PM
    Options
    Probably been let to you - they may not instruct the board people immediately and they may not remove it immediately.

Or yes, may have let to someone else - letting agents have few scrupels.

Do you actually have a signed contract with a tenancy start date?
  • bflare
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Probably been let to you - they may not instruct the board people immediately and they may not remove it immediately.

Or yes, may have let to someone else - leting agents have few scrupals.

Do you actually have a signed contract with a tenancy start date?

All I have is an email with the tenancy agreement. The email says please find attached the tenancy agreement you will be signing.

The agreement is in my name & says:
    [FONT=&quot]This agreement is made the 23rd day of November 2018[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]The first payment of £595 being due on 23rd November 2018 or prior to the date of taking possession.[/FONT][/FONT]
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bflare wrote: »
    The house was taken off of the property website Zoopla but was left on the estate agents site and the To let sign has been on the house up until today. The signs been taken down and I'm a little worried that because I've not paid the deposit they may have let it to someone else.
    Is this possible? They are closed now until Monday to ask.

Have they asked for it numerous times, have you been in communication with them after the viewing?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why not just ring them and ask?
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • bflare
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    Have they asked for it numerous times, have you been in communication with them after the viewing?

They have not asked for anything as of yet. The last time I communicated with them was to ask for a copy of the tenancy agreement on 17th October. The previous emails went like this:

Hi Mr xxxxxx

The bond and rent will need to be paid into our bank and will need to be cleared through our banking system in order to had over the keys on the 23rd November.

Our bank details are as follows: xxxxxx

........................................................................................

Good afternoon.

We can confirm that your references have come back acceptable for tenancy of xxxxxx and that we have arranged for you to sign up for the property on Friday, 23rd November 2018.

We will need a bond of £xxx and the first months rent of £xxx in cleared funds by this date in order for us to hand the keys over to you.

Kind regards
    ..........................................................................................
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Surely posting here is the least helpful thing you could do to get an answer? Letting agents work saturdays.........
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • bflare
    Options
    Surely posting here is the least helpful thing you could do to get an answer? Letting agents work saturdays.........

As I said in my post the agent is shut or I would have phoned them up. They shut at 1pm on a Saturday.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Why not just ring them and ask?
    OP said:
    They are closed now until Monday to ask.
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport