Council Tax Reduction Application Problem

So I am on JSA Cont Based and as my savings from a redundancy payout have now dipped below the £6,000 threshold for claiming a CTR I applied. Online it was easy enough and it asked for ID, my P45 and the last 2 months of bank statements.

No problem - sent that in and got a reply today suggesting that the Dept for Work and Pensions records show me as having £16000 in capital and because of this I need to resend in a form of ID an explanation of how I have been living with day to day payments of expenses plus bank statements going back to May 2018. I did have £16000 on the day I finished my job which has since been eaten away by mortgage payments food insurances road tax petrol and lots of other bills.

Havent got a problem in providing like 6 months of statements but I bank with HSBCs First Direct which is online only and it limits statements to the last 90 days (3 months). Where do I go from here or should I just explain this in a letter back to the council along with maybe a screenshot of the account showing the 90 cut off? Maybe chuck in a statement for that 3rd month too but I cant go back any further than that so I am fearing they will just think its a ruse to hide money I aint got.

Surely First Direct are'nt the only online bank that has this sort of cut off so I am hoping the council will see sense ?

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 November 2018 at 1:11PM
    I'd give FD a ring (03 456 100 100), explain the situation and ask for the 6 months of statements.
    I've always found them very good, and are reasonable in acceding to such requests.

You are much likely to have greater success with FD, than getting your application accepted by your council if you don't supply the required info.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It would be a good idea to inform the DWP of your change of circumstance re your savings if you haven't already done so.
  • the council will rely on information from the DWP unfortunately, and you will need to prove otherwise.

im sure 6 months statements will be given if asked for over the phone/in writing

as said above, let DWP know your situation has changed, but this of course, will also need statements to show it has
  • thanks - i found that online banking if you go to accounts then preview for printing your statements the 90 day limit applies but if you go "Statements" it does allow you go back 6 months. a bit weird but at least it works if you go to the right part of the website.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure