Electoral roll

Options
Hello,

I received a letter saying that I need to respond and register to vote otherwise I will be fined.

What idiocy is this? I don't want to be in any electoral roll and I don't want to vote.

Can anyone advise?

thanks!

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    HappyUser wrote: »
    Hello,

I received a letter saying that I need to respond and register to vote otherwise I will be fined.

What idiocy is this? I don't want to be in any electoral roll and I don't want to vote.

Can anyone advise?

thanks!

What happens if you do not register
    You must register to vote if you’re asked to do so and you meet the conditions for registering, for example you’re 16 or over and you’re British or a national of an EU or Commonwealth country.

If you’re asked to register and do not do so, you could be fined.
    You will not be fined if you have a valid reason for not registering, for example a long stay in hospital, or you have severe learning difficulties.

https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register

“Prosecution for not returning the form could lead to a criminal record and a fine of up to £1,000.”

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/pair-fined-refusing-sign-up-4200256
  • If you are not on the ER you will not get credit off anyone and as the letter says you have a statutory duty to register on the ER or you will be fined.

Perhaps a BG could close this thread or move it to DT ?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The advice is to register and avoid the possibility of a fine. It is a legal requirement, just as is sticking to the speed limit for example. You can get fined for ignoring that law too.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    And if you don’t return the form someone comes and collects the information in person (disorganisation has resulted in this being the normal way I’m updated on the electoral role)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure