Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HappyUser
    • By HappyUser 9th Nov 18, 10:13 PM
    • 85Posts
    • 5Thanks
    HappyUser
    Electoral roll
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:13 PM
    Electoral roll 9th Nov 18 at 10:13 PM
    Hello,

I received a letter saying that I need to respond and register to vote otherwise I will be fined.

What idiocy is this? I don't want to be in any electoral roll and I don't want to vote.

Can anyone advise?

thanks!
Page 1
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 9th Nov 18, 10:17 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 2,646 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:17 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:17 PM
    I don't understand what this has to do with benefits.

You have to respond to the form. You don't have to vote and you can choose to go on the edited register. It's also helpful if you ever need to apply for credit.
    Last edited by Sunny Intervals; 09-11-2018 at 10:21 PM.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 9th Nov 18, 10:26 PM
    • 16,235 Posts
    • 23,093 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:26 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:26 PM
    Hello,

I received a letter saying that I need to respond and register to vote otherwise I will be fined.

What idiocy is this? I don't want to be in any electoral roll and I don't want to vote.

Can anyone advise?

thanks!
    Originally posted by HappyUser
    What happens if you do not register
    You must register to vote if you’re asked to do so and you meet the conditions for registering, for example you’re 16 or over and you’re British or a national of an EU or Commonwealth country.

If you’re asked to register and do not do so, you could be fined.
    You will not be fined if you have a valid reason for not registering, for example a long stay in hospital, or you have severe learning difficulties.

https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register

“Prosecution for not returning the form could lead to a criminal record and a fine of up to 1,000.”

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/pair-fined-refusing-sign-up-4200256
    • venison
    • By venison 9th Nov 18, 11:06 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,860 Thanks
    venison
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:06 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:06 PM
    If you are not on the ER you will not get credit off anyone and as the letter says you have a statutory duty to register on the ER or you will be fined.

Perhaps a BG could close this thread or move it to DT ?
    Thanks for stopping by, have a good day/night/week/weekend/life
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 10th Nov 18, 8:06 AM
    • 5,555 Posts
    • 6,198 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:06 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:06 AM
    The advice is to register and avoid the possibility of a fine. It is a legal requirement, just as is sticking to the speed limit for example. You can get fined for ignoring that law too.
    • w06
    • By w06 10th Nov 18, 8:43 AM
    • 762 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    w06
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:43 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 8:43 AM
    And if you don’t return the form someone comes and collects the information in person (disorganisation has resulted in this being the normal way I’m updated on the electoral role)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

363Posts Today

3,508Users online

Martin's Twitter