Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • collectors
    • By collectors 9th Nov 18, 11:10 AM
    • 108Posts
    • 26Thanks
    collectors
    Glow worm sxi30 Boiler,s frost stat kicking in to early.
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:10 AM
    Glow worm sxi30 Boiler,s frost stat kicking in to early. 9th Nov 18 at 11:10 AM
    Hi, hope you can help. I have a Ultracom 30SXI with what i be-leave is the frost stat kicking in early. At the moment it is 52.5F/13C in the loft where the boiler is & it wont kick out until around 14c this is boiler & pump, not just the pump. Is there a way to adjust this as its costing loads more in LPG at this time of year. Or can i do away with the boilers on board stat & use my own.
    I say this as when i wired the system i fitted a frost stat with a stat also on the return to the boiler to save this problem & then found out the boiler had a frost stat built in. So this part was never connected. Any advice/idea's would be a help. Thanks
Page 1
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 9th Nov 18, 9:30 PM
    • 5,439 Posts
    • 3,139 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:30 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:30 PM
    The inbuilt frost stat protects the boiler only, connect up the external frost & pipe stat like it should have been, the stat on the ret needs to be a low limit stat, no the built in frost stat isn't removable or disableable
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • collectors
    • By collectors 9th Nov 18, 10:07 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    collectors
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:07 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:07 PM
    Hi, thanks for the reply, but i still cant stop the boiler frost stat kicking in. so i assume its the board or boiler sensors not sending or reading the temperature correct.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 9th Nov 18, 10:37 PM
    • 5,439 Posts
    • 3,139 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:37 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:37 PM
    Have you checked the zone valves aren't sticking & sending a signal down the switched live ?
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 9th Nov 18, 10:44 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:44 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:44 PM
    The internal stat won't run the pump unless it drops to 8c and won't fire the boiler for 30mins after if it doesn't reach 10c or if the boiler drops to 5c.

How do you know it's 13c and where are you measuring the temperature from?
    • collectors
    • By collectors 10th Nov 18, 6:38 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    collectors
    • 10th Nov 18, 6:38 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 6:38 AM
    Have you checked the zone valves aren't sticking & sending a signal down the switched live ?
    This was also happening last year when the weather got colder.

How do you know it's 13c and where are you measuring the temperature from?
    Now this may sound really anal, but i am a bit of a gadget freak & when i was doing the electrics at this house i set up a 1 wire heat sensors system in every room to keep an eye on the temperature. This is via 2 heat sensors in every area/room including the outside & the loft. I was going to fit zone valves to each room to help keep running costs down when nobody is in. This is because I also have 3 rooms that i rent out at home & i keeping an eye on internal & external temperatures to control when the heating goes on & off realy helps. LPG aint cheap.
    Now the boiler seems to be doing what it should as it comes on when it gets a bit colder & switches off when its happy & this is all when the programmer is off. But its doing it to early / to higher temperature.
    The temperature was taken in the loft area where the boiler is fitted.
    Would you know if the boiler has a separate stat to measure for frost or would it maybe use either the "heating outlet-temp sensor" or the "heating return temp sensor" to decide when its frosty, as these maybe a part thats changeable.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 10th Nov 18, 7:25 AM
    • 903 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:25 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 7:25 AM
    It will be controlled by the sensors and the pcb.

What was the outside temperature? Do you have a vertical or horizontal flue? Had it before where the flue was horizontal straight out the wall and the outside air temperature brings the boiler internal pipework down below the trigger point.
    • collectors
    • By collectors 10th Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    collectors
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    • 10th Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    It will be controlled by the sensors and the pcb.

What was the outside temperature? Do you have a vertical or horizontal flue? Had it before where the flue was horizontal straight out the wall and the outside air temperature brings the boiler internal pipework down below the trigger point.
    Originally posted by Alex1983
    AH! there is a possibility. Its horizontal quite high up on an apex wall of a bungalow. So a possible 90d bend up & a 90d back out may do the trick with a short straight bit of flu in-between.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,501Posts Today

7,309Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MarieBlackett: @MartinSLewis Someone asked me if they could ?tappity tap tap? their card once. Made me giggle! As a retail worker I get?

• RT @NyeBeverage: @MartinSLewis I get "tap it" the most, working in a bar. "Ping it" is more common than you think, and makes me giggle.

• When you want to pay by contactless - what do you call it - I always say "I'll just beep it". What's your phrase?

• Follow Martin