PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a house with a discount?

Options
Hi,
So basically I want to buy a house but I can't borrow much (divorce destroyed my credit)
A friend who is in the process of becoming deputy for their fathers finances (he no longer has capacity) needs to sell their fathers house in order to pay off his debts & fund his care.
They want a quick sale & said they want to see it go to someone who will care about it so have offered me the property at below market value. Houses on this road go for £120,000-£146,000 ive based this on sales from last two years, I have been offered it at £70,000. The only thing I know that warrants a lower asking price is that the property has no central heating.
Is it legal for me to buy the house at this discount? I'll be a first time buyer, the cost even at full price won't affect stamp duty so it's not a tax dodge or anything. I just don't want to find out later that something will come back to haunt me & I can only find info on properties being sold to relatives with discounts to compare.

Comments

• MHartley
    Options
    I do not know the answer to your question, but one thing to consider would be if your friend's father needs funding for his care in the future. Selling his property to a friend at significantly below market value may be deemed to be deprivation of capital. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to give you a more definitive answer.
  • MooreC
    Options
    This was the sort of thing coming back to bite that I meant. Hopefully someone will know more
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's legal from your point of view, yes, but do you need a mortgage?
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, this would be considered 'deprivation of capital' if/when the father is assessed to pay for care. The friend also has a duty to get as much for the property as they realistically can under the terms of their deputyship.
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,550 Forumite
    Options
    As his father's deputy, it is your friend's duty to act in his best interests.

To protect his own and his father's position, it would be wise to obtain a valuation of the property from a RICS qualified surveyor.

If the father's resources are depleted to the point where he needs to claim means tested help with his care home fees, the LA would count an undervalue sale as deprivation of assets.
  • alfred64
    alfred64 Posts: 4,991 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But that would be the sellers problem , not the buyers.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 November 2018 at 1:17AM
    Options
    MooreC wrote: »
    They want a quick sale & said they want to see it go to someone who will care about it so have offered me the property at below market value.
    That's a very bad idea your friend has. As their fathers deputy your friend has a legal responsibility to act in their fathers best interests, which means getting the maximum amount possible for the property.

If your friend sells below market value then they'll be in breach of trust and open to legal action against them.

But if none of that bothers you then it's a perfectly legal purchase from your point of view.
  • tlc678910
    Options
    Hi,
    Your friend does not have the authority to sell the house under value. As her father now lacks capacity he cannot authorise this so your friend must act in his best interests - which is not to give away equity in his property.

As your friend is acting as deputy it is quite possible that her solicitor or the mortgage company could put a hold on this as suspicious to be selling a relatives asset significantly undervalue. They could report to the social worker/ police or the Court of Protection if they think it is financial abuse of a vulnerable person and your friend would be removed as deputy (as a minimum).

On an ethical level you should not collude with this. Would your friend be as quick to give away massive chunks of house equity if it were her property? Your lack of funds really isn’t your friends dad’s problem is it?

If you want first refusal on the house your friend should get it valued in writing by a RICS surveyor (as suggested by xylophone) and you can see if you would like to buy at this amount. Your friend should keep this paperwork carefully as someone might still complain she has not got the best value for her father’s asset by not putting it on the open market.

I appreciate you thought this was dubious and that’s why you are posting here but to put it bluntly - don’t attempt to get on the housing ladder by ripping off an old man.

Tlc
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Options
    Legally, it won't directly come back to bite you, but it could bite your friend, who might decide to blame you for all or part of this "plan", and try and recoup the "discount" you received. They're unlikely to succeed, but it'll be the end of the friendship.

And obviously, if you need a mortgage, you'll need to have the income/savings to be able to borrow the £70k in the first place - no lender will relax their lending criteria on the basis of any claimed "discount" to the market value.
  • MooreC
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I'm definitely not trying to rip off her father I never suggested any price & have an agreement in principle for £110,000 so would be able/happy to pay more but if someone makes you an offer like that it's going to turn your head, it was only after I looked into it that i noticed how much less it was (I was thinking it was closer to £20,000 less which could maybe be normal for a house that needs some work eg the heating?) I don't think she is trying to rip him off either & it's a case of a fast sale because his debts are loans using the house as collateral & she doesn't want to lose the house to them and leave her dad with nothing. I am definitely going to speak with her about it & suggest she gets a valuation & if it's valued at something I can afford then great if not I don't want her getting in trouble so I'll be turning down the offer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure