Can Anyone Recommend their Synthetic Carpet

Options
Hi Everyone,
I was in the middle of a big refurb of my dilapidated house when I was made redundant. I would choose to get 80/20 wool carpets but now cannot afford them.

Can anyone recommend a cheaper synthetic carpet brand which they are pleased with - there are so many different brands that I have never heard of.

Would be very grateful if you could suggest a good brand.

Comments

• dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's not the cheapest, but I have used Island Weave from Allied Weavers in two houses. It has been in my old house since about 2008 and looks almost as good as the day it was laid.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • LizMac42
    LizMac42 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 November 2018 at 11:54PM
    Options
    Thanks Dunroving - I had a look at that - it looks lovely but with 2 cats I don't think the loop pile would survive well.
    I'm thinking of a synthetic twist with heather pattern (speckled)
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have Associated Weavers 'Temptation' carpet in my bedrooms with Tredair Dreamwalk 11mm Underlay. Has been down for 5 years and still looks very good, despite it being cream!
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Also have an Associated Weavers carpet - California Dream on top of 11mm foam underlay. Luxurious underfoot, and haven't had any problems with it yet. Only been down just under two years in the lounge. If I were to do it again, would probably go for 10mm underlay.

A good quality underlay makes a world of difference to any carpet, even the really cheap stuff.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Options
    phil24_7 wrote: »
    I have Associated Weavers 'Temptation' carpet in my bedrooms with Tredair Dreamwalk 11mm Underlay. Has been down for 5 years and still looks very good, despite it being cream!

Snap. We have that in cream too in our bedrooms. Had it four years and it's performed really well. Cleans up well too as have had the odd mishap, spilt coffee and mascara. Would use again.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 November 2018 at 9:11AM
    Options
    Ditto on the underlay comments - a decent carpet is almost less important than a decent underlay.

I got Cloud 9 after reading lots of online reviews, and it feels great. I didn't go for thicker underlay (11mm), as I read it can feel a little too spongy underfoot. I got the 9mm.

Also ask for Action Back backing on the carpet, if it's available.

[ETA: You also need to choose between foam and rubber underlay. Rubber used to be seen as better (more resilient/held its shape for longer), but it's more expensive and can often smell of rubber (surprise), often being made of recycled tyres. The ClouD9 is foam but has a good track record of keeping its shape.]
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • LizMac42
    Options
    Thanks everyone - Associated Weavers mentioned mainly and I have never come across them - are they the ones shown in the large carpet stores like Carpet Right etc.?
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Associated Weavers are one of the largest carpet manufacturers in Europe, so you should find their stuff in most shops.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure