Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ladywriter1968
    • By Ladywriter1968 7th Nov 18, 8:18 PM
    • 891Posts
    • 141Thanks
    Ladywriter1968
    universal credit for my stamp
    • 7th Nov 18, 8:18 PM
    universal credit for my stamp 7th Nov 18 at 8:18 PM
    My husband works full time but I am not currently working. I wanted to sign up for universal credit so that I can get my pension stamp paid. But when I get the form up online it states, do you live with a partner or do you have one, or are you single, I clicked yes with partner, and it assumes you both want to claim. There is no other box for just myself to claim for my stamp payment only. So I dont know what else to do. Its given us a code assuming we want to have it jointly. As soon as you click partner it takes it on board jointly.
Page 1
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 7th Nov 18, 8:36 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 7th Nov 18, 8:36 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 8:36 PM
    All UC claims have to be made as a couple (unless you are single of course!). Making claims for credits only is not made easy by the government.

If you wish to claim credits you can either do so because you are too ill to work and would meet the health conditions to qualify for ESA or you are going to look for work and be treated as a jobseeker (in which case you will be required to look for work).

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-credits/eligibility

"You’re unemployed and looking for work, but not on Jobseeker’s Allowance - Contact your local Jobcentre to claim Class 1 credits"

"You’re not on Employment and Support Allowance but you satisfy the conditions for it - Contact your local Jobcentre to claim Class 1 credits"
    Last edited by calcotti; 07-11-2018 at 10:23 PM.
    • venison
    • By venison 7th Nov 18, 9:54 PM
    • 2,522 Posts
    • 2,836 Thanks
    venison
    • 7th Nov 18, 9:54 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 9:54 PM
    OP 2 questions do you have children you get child benefit for? and 2) how many years N.I cont do you have already?
    Thanks for stopping by, have a good day/night/week/weekend/life
    • Ladywriter1968
    • By Ladywriter1968 8th Nov 18, 7:25 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Ladywriter1968
    • 8th Nov 18, 7:25 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 7:25 PM
    No children. Paid in 19 years so far.. am 50 now. Had health problems so couldn't work after a while.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 8th Nov 18, 8:00 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 8th Nov 18, 8:00 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 8:00 PM
    No children. Paid in 19 years so far.. am 50 now. Had health problems so couldn't work after a while.
    Originally posted by Ladywriter1968
    If you health is such that you cannot work you would be better to look at the qualifying health conditions for ESA https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/fill-in-form/
    If you may meet this you should try and get NI credits on grounds of Limited Capability for Work rather than as a job seeker.
    Last edited by calcotti; 08-11-2018 at 8:07 PM.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 8th Nov 18, 8:02 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 2,950 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 8th Nov 18, 8:02 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 8:02 PM
    There was a thread on this subject:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5813461

Unfortunately it gets bogged down in parts because the OP continually raised objections to helpful suggestions, and he failed to update us on how his efforts to get NI credits in a UC area ended.
    However, if you follow the link at post 7 it will give you useful info.
    Posts 60, 64 amplify this.

Do let us know the outcome.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • Ladywriter1968
    • By Ladywriter1968 10th Nov 18, 3:53 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Ladywriter1968
    • 10th Nov 18, 3:53 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 3:53 PM
    If you health is such that you cannot work you would be better to look at the qualifying health conditions for ESA https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/fill-in-form/
    If you may meet this you should try and get NI credits on grounds of Limited Capability for Work rather than as a job seeker.
    Originally posted by calcotti
    Been told cant apply for esa as live in a universal credit area so can only apply universal credit but will check out link, thanks
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 10th Nov 18, 4:19 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 10th Nov 18, 4:19 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 4:19 PM
    Been told cant apply for esa as live in a universal credit area so can only apply universal credit but will check out link, thanks
    Follow the link in Alice’s post.

As per the original link I posted you get ni credits as ajobseeker or because you meet the health conditions for ESA. You are not actually claiming a benefit. There is no mechanism for claiming ni credits through UC. In a UC area ESA is known as New style ESA.
    Last edited by calcotti; 13-11-2018 at 5:34 PM. Reason: typing correction
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 10th Nov 18, 5:43 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 2,950 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 10th Nov 18, 5:43 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 5:43 PM
    Follow the link in Alice’s post.
    Originally posted by calcotti
    Cheers, calcotti.

I do find it frustrating when posters ignore / skip over links which directly address their query.
    It's happening in a few threads now.
    And then the more sensible focused advice gets dissipated amongst general, less helpful, comments.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • Ladywriter1968
    • By Ladywriter1968 13th Nov 18, 4:49 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Ladywriter1968
    There was a thread on this subject:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5813461

Unfortunately it gets bogged down in parts because the OP continually raised objections to helpful suggestions, and he failed to update us on how his efforts to get NI credits in a UC area ended.
    However, if you follow the link at post 7 it will give you useful info.
    Posts 60, 64 amplify this.

Do let us know the outcome.
    Originally posted by Alice Holt
    Actually no I didn't. I just told my situation. I am sorry that that I can't be as perfect as you on everything. I am saying it as it is. And I am a she not a he. I have taken what people have said and links they sent me. My situation hadn't changed. It's very hard to claim anything these days. I am already stressed so don't need negative opinions of what I have or have not done correctly. But thanks anyway.
    • Ladywriter1968
    • By Ladywriter1968 13th Nov 18, 4:52 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Ladywriter1968
    Cheers, calcotti.

I do find it frustrating when posters ignore / skip over links which directly address their query.
    It's happening in a few threads now.
    And then the more sensible focused advice gets dissipated amongst general, less helpful, comments.
    Originally posted by Alice Holt
    I have saved the links to go through.
    • Ladywriter1968
    • By Ladywriter1968 13th Nov 18, 4:55 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Ladywriter1968
    Thanks to everyone for advice and links. I have the ESA link that was given in here.
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 13th Nov 18, 5:00 PM
    • 1,876 Posts
    • 4,089 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    Actually no I didn't. I just told my situation. I am sorry that that I can't be as perfect as you on everything. I am saying it as it is. And I am a she not a he. I have taken what people have said and links they sent me. My situation hadn't changed. It's very hard to claim anything these days. I am already stressed so don't need negative opinions of what I have or have not done correctly. But thanks anyway.
    Alice wasn't talking about you! She was referring to the OP in the thread she attached to her post. I suggest that if you want further help, you read a post properly before throwing a hissy fit.
    I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure
    • Ladywriter1968
    • By Ladywriter1968 13th Nov 18, 5:15 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Ladywriter1968
    Alice wasn't talking about you! She was referring to the OP in the thread she attached to her post. I suggest that if you want further help, you read a post properly before throwing a hissy fit.
    Originally posted by Cheeky_Monkey
    We'll I didn't know that and there is no need to be rude.. I just came here for advice but clearly this isn't working. I've been everywhere about this poxy benefit and gotten no where. If you had of read my post properly you would seen me state that I am stressed out already.. just thanking everyone for their help and links.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 13th Nov 18, 6:07 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 2,950 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    Dear me,

Please reread my post carefully. If you do, it will be obvious that I was referencing the OP who started the post I referred you to. Hence the reference to he.

If you had read through this very long thread, you would understand why I felt it necessary to issue the caveat about questions raised by the OP. he goes off topic and in circles so it is easy to get lost. Hence my referring you to particular posts within that thread (which will be directly relevant to you).

Rather than accusing other posters of rudeness, accept the help you have been given, try to engage politely and sensibly with posters giving of their time to point you in the right direction, and concentrate on the task you wish to achieve. It will not be an easy task, as you are likely to get conflicting advice from the DWP. If you respond to them in the manner you have replied to the posters on here, then, I'm afraid, you will get absolutely nowhere.
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 13-11-2018 at 6:40 PM.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 13th Nov 18, 6:17 PM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 3,607 Thanks
    poppy12345
    We'll I didn't know that and there is no need to be rude.. I just came here for advice but clearly this isn't working. I've been everywhere about this poxy benefit and gotten no where. If you had of read my post properly you would seen me state that I am stressed out already.. just thanking everyone for their help and links.
    Please calm down! Alice is a very knowledgeable member of the forum. Having that sort of attitude when people are trying to help you is not the way to be.
    • Ladywriter1968
    • By Ladywriter1968 13th Nov 18, 7:21 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Ladywriter1968
    I am not gonna be jumped on by people here just because I made a mistake...I admitted that... I can understand Alice replying back as to me with her post but don't need everyone else having a go.. so I thank you all for your help and will say goodbye...
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th Nov 18, 9:31 AM
    • 3,072 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I am not gonna be jumped on by people here just because I made a mistake...I admitted that... I can understand Alice replying back as to me with her post but don't need everyone else having a go.. so I thank you all for your help and will say goodbye...
    The irony...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,501Posts Today

7,309Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MarieBlackett: @MartinSLewis Someone asked me if they could ?tappity tap tap? their card once. Made me giggle! As a retail worker I get?

• RT @NyeBeverage: @MartinSLewis I get "tap it" the most, working in a bar. "Ping it" is more common than you think, and makes me giggle.

• When you want to pay by contactless - what do you call it - I always say "I'll just beep it". What's your phrase?

• Follow Martin