universal credit for my stamp

Options
My husband works full time but I am not currently working. I wanted to sign up for universal credit so that I can get my pension stamp paid. But when I get the form up online it states, do you live with a partner or do you have one, or are you single, I clicked yes with partner, and it assumes you both want to claim. There is no other box for just myself to claim for my stamp payment only. So I dont know what else to do. Its given us a code assuming we want to have it jointly. As soon as you click partner it takes it on board jointly.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 November 2018 at 11:23PM
    Options
    All UC claims have to be made as a couple (unless you are single of course!). Making claims for credits only is not made easy by the government.

If you wish to claim credits you can either do so because you are too ill to work and would meet the health conditions to qualify for ESA or you are going to look for work and be treated as a jobseeker (in which case you will be required to look for work).

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-credits/eligibility

"You’re unemployed and looking for work, but not on Jobseeker’s Allowance - Contact your local Jobcentre to claim Class 1 credits"

"You’re not on Employment and Support Allowance but you satisfy the conditions for it - Contact your local Jobcentre to claim Class 1 credits"
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    OP 2 questions do you have children you get child benefit for? and 2) how many years N.I cont do you have already?
  • Ladywriter1968
    Options
    No children. Paid in 19 years so far.. am 50 now. Had health problems so couldn't work after a while.
  • calcotti
    edited 8 November 2018 at 9:07PM
    Options
    No children. Paid in 19 years so far.. am 50 now. Had health problems so couldn't work after a while.
    If you health is such that you cannot work you would be better to look at the qualifying health conditions for ESA https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/fill-in-form/
    If you may meet this you should try and get NI credits on grounds of Limited Capability for Work rather than as a job seeker.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There was a thread on this subject:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5813461

Unfortunately it gets bogged down in parts because the OP continually raised objections to helpful suggestions, and he failed to update us on how his efforts to get NI credits in a UC area ended.
    However, if you follow the link at post 7 it will give you useful info.
    Posts 60, 64 amplify this.

Do let us know the outcome.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Ladywriter1968
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »
    If you health is such that you cannot work you would be better to look at the qualifying health conditions for ESA https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/fill-in-form/
    If you may meet this you should try and get NI credits on grounds of Limited Capability for Work rather than as a job seeker.

Been told cant apply for esa as live in a universal credit area so can only apply universal credit but will check out link, thanks
  • calcotti
    edited 13 November 2018 at 6:34PM
    Options
    Been told cant apply for esa as live in a universal credit area so can only apply universal credit but will check out link, thanks

Follow the link in Alice’s post.

As per the original link I posted you get ni credits as ajobseeker or because you meet the health conditions for ESA. You are not actually claiming a benefit. There is no mechanism for claiming ni credits through UC. In a UC area ESA is known as New style ESA.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »
    Follow the link in Alice’s post.

Cheers, calcotti.

I do find it frustrating when posters ignore / skip over links which directly address their query.
    It's happening in a few threads now.
    And then the more sensible focused advice gets dissipated amongst general, less helpful, comments.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Ladywriter1968
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    There was a thread on this subject:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5813461

Unfortunately it gets bogged down in parts because the OP continually raised objections to helpful suggestions, and he failed to update us on how his efforts to get NI credits in a UC area ended.
    However, if you follow the link at post 7 it will give you useful info.
    Posts 60, 64 amplify this.

Do let us know the outcome.

Actually no I didn't. I just told my situation. I am sorry that that I can't be as perfect as you on everything. I am saying it as it is. And I am a she not a he. I have taken what people have said and links they sent me. My situation hadn't changed. It's very hard to claim anything these days. I am already stressed so don't need negative opinions of what I have or have not done correctly. But thanks anyway.
  • Ladywriter1968
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    Cheers, calcotti.

I do find it frustrating when posters ignore / skip over links which directly address their query.
    It's happening in a few threads now.
    And then the more sensible focused advice gets dissipated amongst general, less helpful, comments.

I have saved the links to go through.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport