Do you use TopCashback or Quidco? Help our investigation.

Options
CMA_Communications
CMA_Communications Posts: 8 Organisation Representative
edited 8 November 2018 at 10:55AM in Shop but don't drop
:hello:

Have you ever saved money or bagged a bargain using the websites TopCashback or Quidco?

These 2 websites offer cashback offers and deals to people in the UK. The Competition and Markets Authority is currently investigating their anticipated merger to make sure it doesn't lead to worse deals for the people who use their sites.

As part of the investigation, we need your help.

We'd like to hear from anyone who has used TopCashback or Quidco.

We'd like to know:
  • Why do you use TopCashback or Quidco?
  • Which other sites would you have used if these sites hadn't been available?
  • Do you have any views on the merger between TopCashback and Quidco?

If you'd like to help our investigation, please comment on this thread or send an email with your views to topcashback.quidco@cma.gov.uk

Read MSE's news story for more information about the merger.

We look forward to hearing from you!
Official Organisation Representative
I’m the official organisation rep for the Competitions and Markets Authority.

MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    1) use them as it's basically money for nothing (if it tracks)
    2) only use these 2
    3) I think the proposed merger is likely to remove any incentive for retailers to offer an exclusive deal , there are also concerns that if they so wish they could blacklist retailers .

The apparent variations in insurance quotes when going via a cashback site or going direct also needs looking at . I see no valid reason why the quotes should be higher via the cashback sites links
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Frugal_Saver
    Options
    I only use topcashback and Quidco.I use them as it’s free money. I always check both sites before making a purchase. Where the % is the same I go with topcashback as I find they pay out much quicker
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Current debt £3,250 (29/12/20)
    Current savings £4,950 (29/12/20)
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have used both of them, but have only used TopCashBack over the last few years.

I don't think I would have used any other cashback sites had these two not been available: I was aware of others (and even registered for them) but it was common knowledge that claims were rarely honoured on these other sites, and so they failed long ago.

I am concerned about the merger because there will then be no kind of competitive pressure to maintain standards. I was very happy with TopCashBack until about a year ago, but since then have found that promised cash-back fails to appear. The lack of effective competition means that they simply say "tough luck" when this happens. So market forces are not working at present, and the merger will make things even worse.

I think that the merger should only be permitted if the new cash-back site is made legally liable to pay promised benefits so long as the consumer can demonstrate that s/he made the purchase in question and satisfied any conditions -- none of this "sorry, it simply didn't track and we don't know why" nonsense.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Over the years have got a total of £500 + from TopCashBack. I've also used Quidco in the past, but found TCB better overall.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    I have used both of them, but have only used TopCashBack over the last few years.

I am concerned about the merger because there will then be no kind of competitive pressure to maintain standards.

I think that the merger should only be permitted if the new cash-back site is made legally liable to pay promised benefits so long as the consumer can demonstrate that s/he made the purchase in question and satisfied any conditions -- none of this "sorry, it simply didn't track and we don't know why" nonsense.

Excellent response which I totally agree with and more or less mirrors my use. I stopped using Quidco years ago due to a number of transactions not tracking and claims rejected. I have had around £1500 back in total from Topcashback so really happy with them as I have had very few failed transactions.

I'm not sure the merger is in the consumers best interest.
  • paddyandstumpy
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    The apparent variations in insurance quotes when going via a cashback site or going direct also needs looking at . I see no valid reason why the quotes should be higher via the cashback sites links

The rates are most likely inflated via CB sites to then pay for the CB. It's a false economy.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Shouldn't be allowed either way
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • akira181
    akira181 Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use TCB mainly because I go on a lot of short business trips, so the cashback on hotels and flights helps me recoup any fuel expenses (as the government company car fuel allowance expects you to do an unrealistic 61mpg to break even. 58mpg on the motorway is the max I can do, barely get 35 in city traffic. Not to mention fuel prices have been going up like crazy the last few months).

If TCB didn't exist, I'd go to the next biggest. But I'd only use one as I don't think it's worth wasting my time comparing each site just for a few extra pennies here and there.

My biggest issue with TCB is that it rarely tracks (probably cause of my adblock) and the tracking amount is often short by a few pennies. E.g. I bought something for £65.12 at 3.15% cashback. I'm a plus member (forgot to cancel free trial), and got £2.04 cashback. 3.15% should be £2.05. So a penny short and the plus membership done nothing.

I don't see the merger making the service any better, probably worse with less attractive offers. But I'd continue to use them until MSE knocks them off their top spot.
  • expressman33
    Options
    there are always other cashback sites - I mostly use Imutual because of the cashback guarantee and a more personal response to any queries ( also got some good forums )
  • William_Joseph
    Options
    I only use these sites when their cashback is considerably better than the cashback offered at imutual and even then I think very carefully about it first. They are notorious for their non tracking and often rejected transactions with sometimes the flimsiest of excuses hoping you will disappear rather than involve them in work and the claims system is not the easiest to manoeuvre. The service at both sites has deteriorated greatly over the past few years especially at Quidco and especially since they started a fee paying membership system. I feel greatly disenfranchised by them. They are without doubt the two biggest sites around and by merging even operating as two separate sites (which they say they will) will enable them to continue with their cavalier attitudes and provide even worse service than they do now. Competition will be eroded. It's hard to see how the creation of a single company can be good news for the consumer. Choice and competition is always the best means for improving offerings to customers. This merger will give them an incredibly dominant position in online advertising. It would make it very easy for them to be able to abuse their position in the market. imutual on the other hand have a cashback guarantee on most merchants and queries are dealt with promptly sometimes on the same day. A much more honest and reliable site IMO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure