Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mustbemad
    • By mustbemad 7th Nov 18, 12:51 PM
    • 579Posts
    • 364Thanks
    mustbemad
    Cooking with Gas
    • 7th Nov 18, 12:51 PM
    Cooking with Gas 7th Nov 18 at 12:51 PM
    Hi everyone, I wonder if someone can help.

We moved into a new rental last month which came with a freestanding gas job/oven. Maybe it's because I've never cooked with gas before but it's absolutely awful. I just don't know if this is just how gas ovens are or if it's broken? It takes absolutely ages to cook anything and I can only cook on the top shelf, not great when there are 5 of us 😓. If I use the lower shelf, food doesn't cook sufficiently, if I try to use the lower shelf when the top shelf is in use, it barely heats up the food at all.

Does this seem normal?

Mbm x
    Debt free as of June 2013 and never getting into anything other than mortgage debt in the future
Page 1
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 7th Nov 18, 12:56 PM
    • 2,476 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    • 7th Nov 18, 12:56 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 12:56 PM
    Nope not normal................
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 7th Nov 18, 1:32 PM
    • 3,611 Posts
    • 9,407 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    • 7th Nov 18, 1:32 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 1:32 PM
    If you are certain that you are setting the temperature controls correctly, then report this to the landlord or their agent and request that they investigate and fix it promptly.

Are the door seals ok? Heat could be leaking out. Check that next time you cook something.
    Every Village has its Idiot.

If you don't know who your Village Idiot is

it is probably you.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 7th Nov 18, 1:37 PM
    • 24,529 Posts
    • 51,766 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 7th Nov 18, 1:37 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 1:37 PM
    It's not normal. I rented a house with such a free standing cooker about a dozen years ago. It's the only gas oven I've ever used. It was way inferior to any electric oven I've used but it cooked ok though rather unevenly.

Are you quite sure you just haven't adapted to it yet?
    • *~Zephyr~*
    • By *~Zephyr~* 7th Nov 18, 1:55 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 1,149 Thanks
    *~Zephyr~*
    • 7th Nov 18, 1:55 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 1:55 PM
    Definitely not normal. I HATE electric ovens (cakes come out better in gas) I've always cooked with gas and had to endure 4 aggravating years with an electric oven before I replaced the kitchen in our new house and put in a gas range - Bliss!

Get an oven thermometer for a 1 from B&M or Home Bargains and check that the oven is getting to the correct temperature.

I've never timed it, but my oven will get to gas mark 5 in about 10 minutes, if not quicker.

Gas mark 2 should be 150 degrees C
    Gas mark 5 should be 190 degrees C
    Gas mark 7 should be 220 degrees C

If its not heating up properly you can ask your landlord to replace / repair it asap.
    • mustbemad
    • By mustbemad 7th Nov 18, 2:16 PM
    • 579 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    mustbemad
    • 7th Nov 18, 2:16 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 2:16 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I did buy an oven thermometer but I'm not sure if I'm placing it in the correct place in the oven, the temperature seemed lower than it was meant to be but then the dial is terrible too, there are no markings to line the numbers up against, I just have to assume the number I want faces the top. Saying that, I've had to cook everything at gas mark 9 so far and it takes ages.

I think I will ask the agent to send someone to look at it, hopefully it does have a problem and it's not just user error, the last thing I need after spending so much money in the move is a bill from the landlord If it turns out it's my expectations that need to be lower. I can't say I have ever looked forward to cooking the Christmas dinner but I've never started dreading it from November before!

Mbm x
    Debt free as of June 2013 and never getting into anything other than mortgage debt in the future
    • Morbier
    • By Morbier 7th Nov 18, 4:36 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Morbier
    • 7th Nov 18, 4:36 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 4:36 PM
    You might want to check your tenancy agreement because normally the landlord is NOT responsible for repairing or maintaining cookers, unless the tenancy agreement specifically states this.

Sorry to be the bearer of (possible) bad news. . (See G_M's guide in the Houses: buying, renting and selling Section).
    I can't imagine a life without cheese (Nigel Slater)
    • mustbemad
    • By mustbemad 7th Nov 18, 6:57 PM
    • 579 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    mustbemad
    • 7th Nov 18, 6:57 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 6:57 PM
    You might want to check your tenancy agreement because normally the landlord is NOT responsible for repairing or maintaining cookers, unless the tenancy agreement specifically states this.

Sorry to be the bearer of (possible) bad news. . (See G_M's guide in the Houses: buying, renting and selling Section).
    Originally posted by Morbier
    I certainly hope he doesn't say that, it would be very unfair as it has never worked properly.

No wonder dinner takes so long to cook, gas mark 9 is only getting to 150 c

Mbm x
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 7th Nov 18, 7:07 PM
    • 23,987 Posts
    • 27,139 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    • 7th Nov 18, 7:07 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 7:07 PM
    Repairing or replacing an oven that broke during the tenancy is NOT the same as advertising or letting a place with an oven that is faulty or broken from the outset. Was the oven in the letting agents particulars?
    What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 7th Nov 18, 8:01 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 2,150 Thanks
    Ectophile
    A gas oven will always be hotter at the top than the bottom. You just have to allow for that when deciding where to place things, and move things around during cooking if needed.

But gas mark 9 should be about 240C (475F), which is as hot as you ever need an oven. If that's the only setting that works, then there's probably something not right.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 9th Nov 18, 9:34 PM
    • 5,449 Posts
    • 3,140 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    If the cooker was in the property when you moved in then the LL is responsible for it
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,220Posts Today

7,999Users online

Martin's Twitter