IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Welcome Break Fleet PCN Parking Charge

Options
MetroBot
MetroBot Posts: 52 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 29 October 2018 at 9:09PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi

Sorry but need some suggestions again.

PE PCN

Car was present at Welcome Break Fleet motorway services car park somewhere between 4 and 7:30. Reasons are obvious. 3 hours 13 minutes total stay.

No signs to be seen, all dark as imaginable at the time I imagine. Although I would appreciate some pics from there if anyone stops by.

PCN issued after 9 days.
PCN has POFA although no Beavis mention.

Questions:
Does or will GDPR ever apply? Don't understand why my details are still being released to private companies for no serious offence.
Should I complain to Welcome Break for this?
Thought things might have changed for Motorway Services Parking since Nicholas Bowen.
Anything else I should be aware of for this case apart from MSA TSRGD and other older POPLA cases from mse?

I have read a few cases here on mse about these genuinely dangerous fines, really dangerous for Motorway users if people avoid services when they're tired.

I'm only looking for updates on really recent cases like this to see what applies best. Don't know much about PCNs on Motorway Services but it seems really absurd and quite illegal in my opinion since I have never seen Paid Parking in Services anywhere else in Europe. Honestly this feels like a Rowan Atkinson act.

General question which shouldn't even be asked: Are they going to implement side motorway parking on the hard shoulder? Or when tired just stop wherever feels comfortable on the motorway.

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Should I complain to Welcome Break for this?
    Yes. All WB sites have a website with a contact email, so do that right now.

Why not read the thread next to yours, by Bayman, whose post beat yours by half an hour? Saves us typing the same advice twice!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • MetroBot
    Options
    Does anyone have any e-mail address or phone number of any manager from Welcome Break Fleet as on their website I have only found their general enquiries e-mail Fleet.enquiry@welcomebreak.co.uk. And I imagine it won't be of much help.

I don't know where to look for such details. Someone more tech savvy please help.
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 30 October 2018 at 2:45AM
    Options
    Sorry? All WB sites have their own page and you seem to have found the email contact.

Stop imagining it won't be of help and give the complaint a go.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And MetroBot has already found the WB M3 Fleet Services page and quoted the email address from it. ;)
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am amazed that motorists don't know that ALL service stations have a time limit for free parking.

But I am further amazed that motorists are not encouraged, as on the continent, to take sleep breaks for as long as needed.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    I am amazed that motorists don't know that ALL service stations have a time limit for free parking.

But I am further amazed that motorists are not encouraged, as on the continent, to take sleep breaks for as long as needed.

Totally agree

All these services are rip off britain and as they are mainly in a remote area, who would abuse the parking, it's not like it's a family day out .... it's just a "rob your wallet" place

Typical government with their motorway signs saying "take a break" and "tiredness kills" ..... and you are slapped with a £100 charge for daring to have a snooze

Fleet services on one side of the M3 was burnt down the other year and took months to re-open. Parking Eye are no doubt catching up on lost business

!!!!!!, I won't even get petrol in these places, complete rip off
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 30 October 2018 at 9:43AM
    Options
    Don't understand why my details are still being released to private companies for no serious offence.

Surely you must agree that landowners have a right to know who is trespassing on their land.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed in the house as have Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each week, hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned. They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an
    M.P. for unprofessional conduct

The problem has become so widespread that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the House of Commons recently

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas. s
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MSAs are refuges, a place of safety. The UK Government places signs on our main roads and motorways to highlight that Tiredness Kills, and instructs motorists to take a break when tired.

These are forceful arguments to be used whenever anyone gets a PCN for complying with the Government's instructions on road safety.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • onlyfoolsandparking
    Options
    beamerguy wrote: »
    Totally agree

All these services are rip off britain and as they are mainly in a remote area, who would abuse the parking, it's not like it's a family day out .... it's just a "rob your wallet" place

Typical government with their motorway signs saying "take a break" and "tiredness kills" ..... and you are slapped with a £100 charge for daring to have a snooze

Fleet services on one side of the M3 was burnt down the other year and took months to re-open. Parking Eye are no doubt catching up on lost business

!!!!!!, I won't even get petrol in these places, complete rip off

Your not kidding Beamer, the petrol prices alone are enough to put me off going in too not to mention the very genuine risk of being scammed for £100, definitely rip-off Britain.

I usually go off at a junction and find a local service station, usually only a few miles out of the way and much cheaper, also very satisfying to my principles not supporting scammers.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Me too!

Recently I drove into a Services near Bath and then drove out again, continuing on fumes till I found a normal-priced petrol garage!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure