Capital One - Cash transaction limit

Options
OceanSound
OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 29 October 2018 at 10:07AM in Credit cards
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if we can set limits on cash transactions.

Did contact Capital One to ask my daily cash transaction limit and limit on a single cash transaction.

Reply said my daily cash withdrawal amount is £250 per day. Nothing about cash transactions.

So, I message them again and ask again. This time they repeat the cash withdrawal limit (£250 per day) but also mention that 'there is no limit for online cash transaction'.

I have £1500 limit on the card. I'm a bit worried that the card in the wrong hands could spend £300-£500 in a single cash transaction and I could be liable for this. Is there any practical solution to this? Can CapitalOne set a cash transaction limit? (as opposed to a cash withdrawal limit - which is already in place). My Barclaycard has a daily limit already. (The cash transaction/withdrawal limit is the same)

Maybe if I contact Capital One and ask if they can set the single cash transaction limit to £250 and daily cash transaction limit to £500. If they can, could it turn out to be a bad idea, because it limits my options to put a bet on worth £251? ;)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Why would they do that?

That would also mean they should be able to set a purchase transaction limit.

I don't know of any cards that offer either
  • OceanSound
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    Why would they do that?

That would also mean they should be able to set a purchase transaction limit.

I don't know of any cards that offer either
    Barclaycard offer cash transaction/withdrawal limits:
    http://help.barclaycard.co.uk/brochure/credit_cards/withdraw-cash

They must have valid reason(s) for it!
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That link wouldn't stop someone purchasing something above the limit - is that what you are trying to achieve?
  • OceanSound
    Options
    I contacted capitalone and asked if a daily cash transaction limit of £200 could be set. Answer is 'no, not able'. However, I was invited to call the support line to discuss further.

Does anyone think calling would bear fruit?
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    OceanSound wrote: »
    I contacted capitalone and asked if a daily cash transaction limit of £200 could be set. Answer is 'no, not able'. However, I was invited to call the support line to discuss further.

Does anyone think calling would bear fruit?

I would leave well alone!
    For example just assume that you have a gambling addiction then calling them and giving them hints about why you want this done might be an excuse for them to block future transactions - in effect closing your account (to stop you getting into further debt).

If it is not for anything like this - don't make the call.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    If the card were somehow to be in the wrong hands I don't believe that the thief would be any more likely to make a cash type transaction than a purchase transaction.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OceanSound wrote: »
    I have £1500 limit on the card. I'm a bit worried that the card in the wrong hands could spend £300-£500 in a single cash transaction and I could be liable for this.

If someone used your card to make unauthorised (cash) transactions the most you would pay is £50. That's if you were negligent.

If you weren't negligent you'd pay nothing.

See here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport