Spam EMail?

Options
Anyone else receive this which I found in my Spam folder. Googling it suggests it is a hoax. However, they do have my password which I use for many non financial sites :mad:

From reading a thread on the malware bytes files looks like they have had some success from people who maybe have used certain adult websites :D However if they have accessed my websites and photos it will be pretty boring as will be competitions, holidays and other boring stuff ;)
Hello!

My nickname in darknet is rowney09.
I hacked this mailbox more than six months ago,
through it I infected your operating system with a virus (trojan) created by me and have been monitoring you for a long time.

So, your password from xxx@googlemail.com is xxx

Even if you changed the password after that - it does not matter, my virus intercepted all the caching data on your computer
and automatically saved access for me.

I have access to all your accounts, social networks, email, browsing history.
Accordingly, I have the data of all your contacts, files from your computer, photos and videos.

I was most struck by the intimate content sites that you occasionally visit.
You have a very wild imagination, I tell you!

During your pastime and entertainment there, I took screenshot through the camera of your device, synchronizing with what you are watching.
Oh my god! You are so funny and excited!

I think that you do not want all your contacts to get these files, right?
If you are of the same opinion, then I think that $873 is quite a fair price to destroy the dirt I created.

Send the above amount on my BTC wallet (bitcoin): 1EZS92K4xJbymDLwG4F7PNF5idPE62e9XY
As soon as the above amount is received, I guarantee that the data will be deleted, I do not need it.

Otherwise, these files and history of visiting sites will get all your contacts from your device.
Also, I'll send to everyone your contact access to your email and access logs, I have carefully saved it!

Since reading this letter you have 48 hours!
After your reading this message, I'll receive an automatic notification that you have seen the letter.

I hope I taught you a good lesson.
Do not be so nonchalant, please visit only to proven resources, and don't enter your passwords anywhere!
Good luck!
The best things in life are free.....

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have not but several FB friends have had something similar involving "Adult" sites and pay up or else within 48 hours of reading it
  • hdh74
    hdh74 Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    2018 - £562  2019 - £130 2020 - £276  2021 - £106 2022 - £140
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 October 2018 at 8:17PM
    Options
    Its half hoax, but importantly half not.

If the password quoted IS the password you use anywhere with that mail address it means your account HAS been compromised somewhere, but not by the method they describe in the email.

Entering your email address at https://haveibeenpwned.com/ will likely tell you where you were compromised.
    Check the site's credentials first as you don't know me from Adam.

With some haste change your password on ANY website where the one they quoted is used, as you will be at risk.

If you use Amazon, Ebay and Paypal do also turn on 2FA (two factor authentication) to protect yourself.
  • thingamaBob
    thingamaBob Posts: 21,232 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I received a similar one a couple of weeks back that was sent to an old email address that I haven't actually used for years but keep open. The password they quoted, although once genuine, was also one I haven't used for years and never used with any email address.
    They must have got the details from some comp I entered a long time ago and wrongly assumed that the password for the site was also used for the email address.
  • Enigmatic_Me
    Enigmatic_Me Posts: 1,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    I received a similar one a couple of weeks back that was sent to an old email address that I haven't actually used for years but keep open. The password they quoted, although once genuine, was also one I haven't used for years and never used with any email address.
    They must have got the details from some comp I entered a long time ago and wrongly assumed that the password for the site was also used for the email address.

Same here. The password quoted is one I use for forums, comps etc but certainly not for email or anything else important. I think it is a comp website that I have used somewhere that has been hacked.
  • Enigmatic_Me
    Options
    Lorian wrote: »
    Its half hoax, but importantly half not.

If the password quoted IS the password you use anywhere with that mail address it means your account HAS been compromised somewhere, but not by the method they describe in the email.

Entering your email address at https://haveibeenpwned.com/ will likely tell you where you were compromised.
    Check the site's credentials first as you don't know me from Adam.

With some haste change your password on ANY website where the one they quoted is used, as you will be at risk.

If you use Amazon, Ebay and Paypal do also turn on 2FA (two factor authentication) to protect yourself.

Thanks, checked that and 5 breached sites.
    Adobe
    Exploit.in
    Kayo.moe
    Linkedin
    Onliner spambot
  • beckyjazz
    beckyjazz Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 October 2018 at 6:36PM
    Options
    I have had 4 of these emails in the space of 24 hours. I have reported them all.
  • Enigmatic_Me
    Options
    I also see it was reported in the Daily Mail as well yesterday.
  • pawlala
    pawlala Posts: 1,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Send the above amount on my BTC wallet (bitcoin): 1EZS92K4xJbymDLwG4F7PNF5idPE62e9XY
    As soon as the above amount is received, I guarantee that the data will be deleted, I do not need it.
    They've made about £13000 in that wallet in the last 5 days alone.
  • Marg2k8
    Marg2k8 Posts: 5,838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I received the email too. It had a password that I use for comping, but don't use anywhere such as social media or bank account, or email logging in. I deleted it without reporting it, as it purported to come from my own email.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure