Ford Ka - give us a clue

Options
Richard53
Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
I posted recently about downsizing my Range Rover when I retire. I'm looking to replace it with an economical hatchback or similar. I have had an offer from someone for a swap for his Ford Ka. All I know is it has less than 60k miles - I don't know year, model, fuel or anything else yet (I am waiting for him to get back to me). It's not a car I know at all, so I would appreciate any advice over what to look for with this vehicle. I know the early models suffered badly from rust, for example, but I don't know if Ford have got on top of that in the later models. Any engine or year I should definitely avoid? Happy with petrol or diesel. I'm just trying to get a bit clued up before I have to respond. My experiences with Fords have been good so far, so I am positive about the idea unless someone wants to dissuade me.

Another question - how do people pronounce the 'Ka' word? When the first version came out in 1996, I remember a TV ad with a woman whispering "get into ... the Ka", pronounced Kar. I assumed Ford were making a bit of wordplay with the name. However, a few of my younger colleagues at work have one, and they always refer to the "Ford Kay-ay". Does anyone know who is right?
If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,563 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The revised Ford Ka is a Fiat 500 in a different dress.
  • Richard53
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    The revised Ford Ka is a Fiat 500 in a different dress.
    Indeed, and made in Poland, I hear. Not sure if these are bad things, good things, or neutral.
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 October 2018 at 12:11AM
    Options
    in your previous post you said in retirement you were hoping to see more of your children and if i am not mistaken this would involve a 500 mile round trip, if this is still the plan then a ford KA would not be my car of choice for such journeys

if you are going to be doing regular 500 mile round trips then my car of choice would be a euro 5 or euro 6 emissions standard with a 2,0l diesel engine

a 2,0L diesel mondeo, passat. octavia, or 3 series BMW will return 55-60 mpg on a run of that distance if driven sensibly and will provide far more comfort than a KA

from somebody that is used to driving a Range Rover the step down to a ford KA will be a very big step, I would be looking for a low miles 2.0L diesel rep mobile with good history
  • Richard53
    Options
    force_ten wrote: »
    in your previous post you said in retirement you were hoping to see more of your children and if i am not mistaken this would involve a 500 mile round trip, if this is still the plan then a ford KA would not be my car of choice for such journeys
    You make a good point. I've had a huge variety of cars, big and small, fast and slow, and for about 20 years I was a full-time motorcyclist with a car as backup, so I don't need a big car for a long trip, although it would be nice. My initial thoughts were around a 2-litre pre-DPF diesel in a Focus/Golf/whatever, but then a family member mentioned selling her Fiesta and I warmed to the idea. Now someone is offering me a Ka as a swap/trade and I am warming to that idea too.

My 2.0 Tdci Mondeo averaged 42 mpg for me, and I am hoping to go a little better than that.

Good points, and thanks.
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't swap the skin off my beans (polite way of saying something else;)) for a Ka.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,915 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ford changed the pronunciation in their adverts as you say, at launch it was k-a now it's ka(r). Manufacturer prerogative I guess, or maybe their research said everyone called it ka(r) so they gave in. Could be worse, could be the VW up exclamation mark
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Richard53 wrote: »
    I posted recently about downsizing my Range Rover when I retire. I'm looking to replace it with an economical hatchback or similar. I have had an offer from someone for a swap for his Ford Ka. All I know is it has less than 60k miles - I don't know year, model, fuel or anything else yet (I am waiting for him to get back to me).
    There's been three shapes of Ka.
    1. 1996-2008 Ka. Shortened Mk4 Fiesta, rots like anything. I doubt it'd be a grand's worth, and most likely an MOT from scrapping. All petrol.
    2. 2008-2014 Ka. Restyled Fiat Panda/500. Petrol or diesel, but very few diesels sold (out of 1,900 currently on Autotrader, 30 are diesel).
    3. 2014-on Ka+. Brazilian developed, Indian built. All petrol.

All are three-door only.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Could be worse, could be the VW up exclamation mark
    Or the Kia Cee'd (random apostrophe now dropped)
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,290 Forumite
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Ford changed the pronunciation in their adverts as you say, at launch it was k-a now it's ka(r). Manufacturer prerogative I guess, or maybe their research said everyone called it ka(r) so they gave in. Could be worse, could be the VW up exclamation mark

VW up-piling has a sort of ring to it. Might catch on
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you seem to be swaying towards the pre DPF diesels, and i can understand your caution due to past experience, if you are doing a 500 mile round trip once a month then the regeneration should not be an issue, a modern 2.0l diesel should easily give 55 plus miles per gallon on that type of run when driven at or near the national speed limit

the biggest problem with a car that has a or should have a DPF you dont know the history of how the DPF has been used or if the DPF has been stripped from the can which could cause an issue at MOT time

to many people got sucked into buying diesel cars with low tax and very good MPG and then drove them exclusively as shopping cars or school run cars and that will immediately cause problems with the DPF
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure