Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Purple-flower
    • By Purple-flower 13th Oct 18, 12:13 PM
    • 185Posts
    • 489Thanks
    Purple-flower
    Insurance company - are they penny pinching??
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:13 PM
    Insurance company - are they penny pinching?? 13th Oct 18 at 12:13 PM
    Hello Everyone!

I just had a quick question. We have alternative accommodation covered in our home insurance and have an ongoing claim. The insurance company are supposed to be finding us a property so that works can begin. It has been 6 months already and they are saying they can't find anything so "theres nothing they can do"?? Really what they are doing is, because they cannot find a 3/4 bed with parking which is what we have and they are not allowed to give us anything smaller, they are penny pinching right? There are plenty of 4/5 beds available to rent short term in our area. Where do we stand? we are living in a damp house waiting for them to begin, can anyone offer any advice as to what we should do? Thank you so much!
Page 1
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 13th Oct 18, 12:46 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    Zorillo
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:46 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:46 PM
    You should complain, but also consider compromising on the standard of alternative accommodation. It's you living in the damp house, not them.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 13th Oct 18, 12:58 PM
    • 3,200 Posts
    • 5,137 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:58 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 12:58 PM
    Are you able to look for accommodation yourself? As the previous poster said, you're the one suffering, so it makes sense if you can do something to speed things up.
    Either look yourself for somewhere that would be equivalent to what you have, or make it clear to them that you'd be prepared to go into somewhere smaller (it's only temporary, after all). Would they put you into a hotel? Could you offer to pay the extra between an equivalent house and an 'upgrade'?

I wouldn't call it penny-pinching - they have a responsibility to other clients not to pay more out on claims than is necessary.
    • Purple-flower
    • By Purple-flower 18th Oct 18, 3:31 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Purple-flower
    • 18th Oct 18, 3:31 PM
    • 18th Oct 18, 3:31 PM
    Thank you so much for your replies. They said the work would be at least 6 months so a hotel would really not be an option for us. I have been looking for alternative and hopefully they are willing to consider something one bed up for a reasonable price. I did complain to them and they did their internal procedure but to no avail. I'm just wondering what to do next. I really want to apply pressure!
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 18th Oct 18, 8:35 PM
    • 38,012 Posts
    • 22,109 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 18th Oct 18, 8:35 PM
    • 18th Oct 18, 8:35 PM
    Now you have complained and you aren't happy with the response you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication all at no cost to you
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 18th Oct 18, 9:14 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    Zorillo
    • 18th Oct 18, 9:14 PM
    • 18th Oct 18, 9:14 PM
    I still think managing your own expectations might help. If you can cope in a 3/4 bedroom house why can you not cope for six months in a 2/3 bedroom house?

But that's up to you, of course. I know if I faced the prospect of winter in a damp house, six months in a hotel would definitely be an option.

As Quentin has said, if a complaint hasn't moved things on and you're still not happy, you could go the Ombudsman, which might make the insurer be more accomodating.
    • Purple-flower
    • By Purple-flower 20th Oct 18, 12:49 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Purple-flower
    • 20th Oct 18, 12:49 AM
    • 20th Oct 18, 12:49 AM
    Thank you so much for your responses! I think I’ll look into the ombudsman service see if they can push things forward
    • Andy L
    • By Andy L 20th Oct 18, 3:18 PM
    • 9,368 Posts
    • 8,116 Thanks
    Andy L
    • 20th Oct 18, 3:18 PM
    • 20th Oct 18, 3:18 PM
    What Does the policy say about alternative accommodation? Mine doesnt say like for like but gives a maximum budget. If we were to insist for like for like then that budget might not cover the duration of works so we would either have to pay the extra or accept a lower standard of accomodation
    • Purple-flower
    • By Purple-flower 22nd Oct 18, 6:09 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Purple-flower
    • 22nd Oct 18, 6:09 PM
    • 22nd Oct 18, 6:09 PM
    I think you are right Andy L I’m going to look through the documentation with a fine tooth comb. Now they are saying they are going to give a cash settlement which would not cover the cost of any property in our area and is lower than the rental value of our own property! I found a place that had lower rentals than what we would get for our property but because it had one more floor than ours they declined??! I have been looking through reviews and google and this particular loss adjuster has a very very bad reputation. I’m on the brink of considering legal action. I’m taking it to the ombudsman first though
    • Purple-flower
    • By Purple-flower 26th Oct 18, 9:04 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Purple-flower
    Hi Everyone! sorry just checking again...

I have now had a look at the policy documentation and it states an amount and nothing to do with like for like in terms of property. Is it worth speaking to them about this or just going to the ombudsman as I have all the relevant documentation from the ombudsman now?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,168Posts Today

7,355Users online

Martin's Twitter