IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Time limit to request info from DVLA

Hi guys,

After getting my parking ticket last week and frantically reading around, I believe I read somewhere something about a time limit (from the date of event) for the parking charge company to request the information from the DVLA.

Does anyone know what this time limit is?

I emailed the DVLA with a request for the date the parking charge company requested my information. I now have a reply and from the date of the event to the date the enquiry was made was 32 days.

I know some have struggled to get this info from the DVLA, I will post the email I sent them so others can use as it worked for me.

Thanks again to everyone’s contributions on this forum, without it I wouldn’t have known I have a p/eye golden ticket and I would have been £60 out of pocket by now.

Comments

• Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Nice_guy wrote: »
    Hi guys,

After getting my parking ticket last week and frantically reading around, I believe I read somewhere something about a time limit (from the date of event) for the parking charge company to request the information from the DVLA.

Does anyone know what this time limit is?

It depends upon whether or not it is a windscreen ticket. And the salient fact is not when they contacted the DVLA but when they notified the Registered Keeper.
  • Nice_guy
    Nice_guy Posts: 124 Forumite
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    It depends upon whether or not it is a windscreen ticket. And the salient fact is not when they contacted the DVLA but when they notified the Registered Keeper.

APNR issued ticket.

Date of event 25/08
    Date PCN/NTK issued to keeper 27/09

As I currently understand this should have been issued within 14 days of the event happening for the PCC to transfer liability to me as the keeper. As they’ve failed to do this, the driver is liable and they will have to pursue him/her. I’m not obliged to disclose the drivers details so good luck to the PCC.

I’m sure there’s is a technicality here that the PCC should not be requesting keepers details from the DVLA if they know the date of enquiry is 14 days or more after the date of the event. The PCC know they can’t enforce the transfer of liability onto the keeper after this time period so they shouldn’t therefore make the request to the DVLA in the first instance as their request isn’t legitimate/enforceable. Who knows.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 October 2018 at 12:38PM
    Assuming there was no windscreen ticket, then the NTK should arrive by day 14, the date of the alleged event being day zero.
    If there was a NTD, then the NTK should arrive between day 28 and 56 to transfer liability.

They do not have to do this if they are not using The POFA 2012, and can get keeper details purely to ask them for the driver's details. This is the only country in the world that allows someone to be liable for something even if they were not even in the vehicle at the time.

So, you appeal using the template from the NEWBIES. You can if you wish add that the NTK is too late to transfer liability to the keeper, so they should either cancel fifthwith or pursue only The Driver.

Please also complain to your MP about this unregulated scam using the information from the NEWBIES about the comments our MPs have made in parliament.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Nice_guy
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    Assuming there was no windscreen ticket, then the NTK should arrive by day 14, the date of the alleged event being day zero.
    If there was a NTD, then the NTK should arrive between day 28 and 56 to transfer liability.

They do not have to do this if they are not using The POFA 2012, and can get keeper details purely to ask them for the driver's details. This is the only country in the world that allows someone to be liable for something even if they were not even in the vehicle at the time.

So, you appeal using the template from the NEWBIES. You can if you wish add that the NTK is too late to transfer liability to the keeper, so they should either cancel fifthwith or pursue only The Driver.

Please also complain to your MP about this unregulated scam using the information from the NEWBIES about the comments our MPs have made in parliament.

NTD? = windscreen ticket ?
  • If the PPC is using the electronic system (I.e. under the KADOE contract) the request has to be made within 26 weeks - see clause B5.2 of the standard KADOE contract, here:
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/455973/Annex_A_-_KADOE_Fee_Paying_Contract_V4.pdf

I'm not sure what the time limit is for manual requests.

This is a separate thing from POFA time limits for keeper liability.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Don't waste time with irrelevant distractions such as when they contacted the DVLA.

Keep it simple and do a one-point appeal on out of time.

Look at point #1 of post '#3285 here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4488337&page=160 and then look at results on post #3188 (different case) on the same thread.

That's all you need.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Which parking company?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Nice_guy
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Which parking company?

Parking company is Parking Eye
  • Nice_guy
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    Don't waste time with irrelevant distractions such as when they contacted the DVLA.

Keep it simple and do a one-point appeal on out of time.

Look at point #1 of post '#3285 here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4488337&page=160 and then look at results on post #3188 (different case) on the same thread.

That's all you need.

You are of course right - keep it simple and keep it on track. There should be enough with my one point for the ticket to be cancelled.

I just thought the DVLA time request route could be of use to someone else.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 October 2018 at 8:07AM
    Nice_guy wrote: »
    Parking company is Parking Eye
    Looking like a PE 'Golden Ticket'. There's plenty of threads on here about PE Golden Tickets and how to beat them - especially via POPLA.

Use the search term 'Golden Ticket' and follow previous advice - it saves what's left of the regulars here having to type yet more reams of information.
    HOW TO USE THE FORUM SEARCH FUNCTION:

Hit your 'Back' button to get back to the forum thread list. On the bar just above the threads you'll see the 'Search' function. Click on the 'Advanced Search' button and on the following page place your keyword(s) in the 'Search By Keyword(s)' and make sure the 'Show Results As' button (at the foot of the window) is changed from 'Threads' to 'Posts'.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport