Don`t get funeral flowers from the undertaker!

Options
We`ve just my father`s funeral and dealt with a local undertaker who is part of the Co-op group.
When it came to talking about flowers I was shown a nice glossy brochure from which I chose. They turned out not to be what I really wanted (I asked for a "bouquet which I could take to his care home - in fact they were all short blooms wired").
The price in the brochure was £70 and I didn`t realise until I got the final bill from the undertaker that this was £70 plus VAT of £14.
Annoyingly the florist which was used is actually next door to the undertaker and, if I had known, I could have easily gone to them directly and got exactly what I wanted for less money

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good point - it is a recurrent problem - undertakers offer all sorts of "extras" - can be very convenient if you are a long way away or it is a short timescale etc but if you can get flowers / service sheets etc done yourself then it saves a lot.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you go to the florist, probably cheaper if you don't mention the flowers are for a funeral (unless it's Nan in big letters and slightly more obvious).
    They all hoik up the prices if there's a label on such as funeral or wedding.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Larac
    Larac Posts: 945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TBH - we used the Co-op for my Mum's funeral in Dec 17 and was 'thrust' their brochure of flowers. I went 'interflora' in the end as I wanted some time to consider choices. From what I could see flowers for funerals are banded into price bands and they seemed to be around about the same whoever you went with. The interflora pricing was broadly similar to the CO-OP brochure prices. Last thing I did for her but not a pleasant task.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure