Delinquent Energy Account - Old Address

Options
Hi all

Hoping you can help me please...

I moved out of a property I owned in December 2015 due to a split with an ex-partner. The agreement was that we would both pay the mortgage, but he would take full responsibility for the household bills as he was still living there.

In February 2018 I checked my credit report (as I have done every month since I was around 18!! :rotfl: ) and a delinquent account had appeared from Ovo for an energy debt (£235) owed from January 2017 - March 2017.

Ovo had no forwarding details for me so hadn’t been able to contact me, had passed the debt on to a collection agency who also hadn’t made any contact with me. Needless to say my ex hadn’t bothered to tell me either!

I called Ovo straight away and explained the situation and paid the debt, however it is still showing as delinquent and seriously effecting my credit score.

I have asked Experian to add a notice of correction to explain the situation, there are a limited number of characters and Experian have strict guidelines as to what I can and cannot say, it doesn’t feel like a true reflection of the situation.

I have also written a “good will” letter to Ovo again explaining the situation, however they are saying it can not be removed.

Is there anything more I can do? 3 months and £235 outstanding debt isnt a true reflection of my credit worthiness. I have numerous other credit agreements that have been settled in the agreed manner or are currently being paid on time. I’m currently saving to buy a house on my own and this is making it nigh on impossible!!

Any help and advice is much appreciated.

Thank you!! :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Whose name was the energy account under? It must have been yours because they can’t have gotten it from anywhere else.

Unfortunately it is a true representation of what happened with the account so it’s unlikely they’ll remove any default or payment markers from the account.

You can try the route of making an official complaint but don’t expect a positive result from that either.

Ignore your score as well it’s only the data on your file a lender sees and cares about
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You say you moved out in 2015, and that the bill relates to a period in 2017.

Who paid the bills between 2015 and 2017?

Was the original energy account in 2015 in your name?

Did you inform the energy company in 2015 that you were leaving the property and therefore were no longer responsible for energy used from that point onwards?

If so, why did you pay a bill which was obviously not yours?

Is there anything else which you need to check which relates to the period where you were living in 2015 which may crop up and cause more problems?
  • Liz89
    Options
    It was under both names.

What do you mean by ignore your score its the only data a lender sees and cares about?

Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ok. So you are responsible for the debt then if it’s under both names.

When you moved out did you not contact Ovo to remove you name from the accounts?

You mentioned it was affecting your credit score - it’s not as your score isn’t real
  • robber2
    robber2 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Liz89 wrote: »

What do you mean by ignore your score its the only data a lender sees and cares about?

Thanks

Wrong, its the one thing a lender does NOT see. Its a made up number. Just hope you are not paying any of the CRAs to supply this info to you

Rob
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport