Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JONER1212
    • By JONER1212 12th Oct 18, 12:34 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JONER1212
    Taylor Wimpey New Build Floor? HELP
    • 12th Oct 18, 12:34 PM
    Taylor Wimpey New Build Floor? HELP 12th Oct 18 at 12:34 PM
    Hello,

I have reserved a new build with Taylor Wimpey and we are currently in the process of picking our options. One of the options we are discussing is the down lights and installation.

The query I have is does anybody know what kind of floor will be provided upstairs in a Taylor Wimpey new build? Is it chip board or floor boards? And does anyone know if these are easy enough to lift up to access underneath?

Any help or information on this would be extremely helpful, thank you
Page 1
    • troffasky
    • By troffasky 12th Oct 18, 12:43 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    troffasky
    • 12th Oct 18, 12:43 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 12:43 PM
    It's going to be chipboard isn't it? Far cheaper and quicker to install. You should probably be asking them, however, rather than asking idiots on the internet to guess for you.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 12th Oct 18, 1:13 PM
    • 1,590 Posts
    • 1,514 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 12th Oct 18, 1:13 PM
    Almost certainly chipboard, and they're a !!!!!! to take up and put down.
    • JONER1212
    • By JONER1212 12th Oct 18, 1:13 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JONER1212
    I was just wondering if anyone had moved into one recently that had an idea. Why is chipboard a nightmare?
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 12th Oct 18, 1:19 PM
    • 1,590 Posts
    • 1,514 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 12th Oct 18, 1:19 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 1:19 PM
    They clip into each other, so you can rarely simply lift a piece out. That's my experience.
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 12th Oct 18, 3:06 PM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:06 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:06 PM
    zero chance of it being floor boards
    • thebigstillmeister
    • By thebigstillmeister 12th Oct 18, 3:29 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    thebigstillmeister
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:29 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 3:29 PM
    My previous house was a new Taylor Wimpey town house, it was all chip board flooring.

Agree with Grenage, they looked really stuck down and all clipped in to each other by the looks of it,

I think it would be a struggle to lift,
    • JONER1212
    • By JONER1212 13th Oct 18, 9:09 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JONER1212
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:09 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:09 AM
    Thanks guys.

It may be a case of cutting along the edge of the joists with a circular saw and installing new batons when refitting them.
    • Andy L
    • By Andy L 13th Oct 18, 9:17 AM
    • 9,169 Posts
    • 7,823 Thanks
    Andy L
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:17 AM
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:17 AM
    Can't you just get then to install down lights in the first place?
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Oct 18, 9:42 AM
    • 10,787 Posts
    • 11,193 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    When undertaking electrical installation work in a new build home, the best advice is to avoid taking up flooring on the floor above, but instead work wholly within the ceiling void, "fishing" cables in the void as required. Should be reasonably straightforward to convert a pendant fitting to downlighters, and I have done this myself, using this method.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 13-10-2018 at 7:03 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Oct 18, 10:18 AM
    • 25,948 Posts
    • 70,157 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    The chipboard floor goes down before the stud walls upstairs, so it's impossible to lift them.

However, I have dealt with this before and there is a jig and plastic rings that you can buy that allows you to cut essentially what are core holes, but replace them perfectly, using these clever rings to hold them in place.

We've purchased them from a place called Corroy Products.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • JONER1212
    • By JONER1212 13th Oct 18, 10:40 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JONER1212
    Taylor Wimpey want 65 per down light! It's quite a hefty price per light fitting so I'm looking to do the work myself (Electrically qualified) I just wondered if anyone had any experience of lifting the boards.

I don't think it will be too strenuous.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 13th Oct 18, 6:48 PM
    • 7,292 Posts
    • 19,749 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Originally posted by JONER1212
    Near impossible, and the floor will never be the same again.

As Doozergirl suggests, the usual technique is to cut circular holes incorporating a rebate which plastic plugs fit into. Screwfix/Toolstation sell them, like this one:-
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-solid-board-cutter-111mm/80049
    Shop around to find the right size/quality combination for your needs as the plugs vary considerably in price and quality.

Or as Cornucopia suggests, do the wiring working from below.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 13th Oct 18, 7:05 PM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    tonyh66
    Taylor Wimpey want 65 per down light! It's quite a hefty price per light fitting so I'm looking to do the work myself (Electrically qualified) I just wondered if anyone had any experience of lifting the boards.

Originally posted by JONER1212

Use the plug cutter recommended, or a plunge saw and cut squares.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 13th Oct 18, 10:07 PM
    • 10,607 Posts
    • 9,514 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    Lifting chipboard in strategic places requires a great deal of thought, planning and technique otherwise it will be a mess. Thats how it is with modern house builds. The only thing that isnt cheap about them is the inflated selling price.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,945Posts Today

8,406Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Agreed but by marketing it as cough specific people think there's something extra so they buy this rather than gene? https://t.co/hATY3W8Yia

• Good news for those aggressively criticising this poll and trying to pull it apart. I've just got off a 3 way call? https://t.co/Pu750aktyg

• a) I dont believe it is misleading b) I don't believe my poll is badly worded, and certainly don't know it is. If? https://t.co/0DduzIaHBk

• Follow Martin