IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Using the Freedom of Information Act to get info from UK CPM

Options
I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction here. I am genuinely curious - and believe it might be worth knowing in a legal sense - what percentage of parking tickets issued at a particular residential site are being issued to residents. Is this something the Freedom of Information Act could be used to ascertain, or is it too specific?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The Freedom of Information Act applies to public bodies and not private ones like UKCPM.

You can use the Data Protection Act 2018 to get personal information (and only personal information) from UKCPM.

What are you trying to find out and why is this question not in your other thread? Does it not apply to your CCJ?
  • jronnquist
    Options
    "What are you trying to find out and why is this question not in your other thread? Does it not apply to your CCJ?"

Not directly, but it's relevant. I was just wondering if there was any way to establish what percentage of tickets (revenue) a company like CPM makes from residents as opposed to non-residents in a car park like the one at the apartment building I was ticketed at. Every resident I have spoken to so far has a horror story to tell about getting a ticket in their own parking space when forgetting to display their pass, and I have a sneaking suspicion that a significant amount of the money being made in "servicing" the people who live there is being extracted from the "customers" themselves. It would be nice to know just how bad the situation is.
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 October 2018 at 7:23AM
    Options
    You won't get the actual percentage via the FOIA or the DPA, but it will be a high number.

Long time posters on this site will know that this is how the scam works.

Landowners, or Managing Agents, perceive that there is an issue with parking spaces being abused by motorists who are not entitled to park there. So they contact a PPC, who offer to 'solve all of your parking problems' at no cost.

The PPC then installs signs, cameras, and/or an on-site warden, and for the first few weeks everything is wonderful as the rogue parkers are driven away.

But the PPC still needs to recoup its investment in equipment, and make a profit, and there's only one way to do that - by ticketing the genuine residents, visitors, supermarket shoppers, or hospital patients.

They often do that by setting up systems which are designed to fail, such as difficult-to-obtain permits, confusing signage, flimsy tickets with no adhesive, machines which allow keying in an incorrect registration number, and so on.

They are aided and abetted in this highway robbery by the DVLA, who dish out keeper data by the shedload, provided the PPC is a member of the BPA or IPC - both organisations which have been shown time and again to be unfit for purpose.

We can only hope that Sir Greg Knight's bill gets through its final stages in Parliament in November, and then a Government-enforced Code of Practice puts some of these shysters out of business.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport