Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • boopig
    • By boopig 9th Oct 18, 1:14 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    boopig
    Revolut disaster
    • 9th Oct 18, 1:14 PM
    Revolut disaster 9th Oct 18 at 1:14 PM
    Thought after looking on MSE that Revolut would be a good way of making sure our cash was safe while abroad. Downloaded the app, set up account and topped up £10, then it started asking for me to verfiy who i was. Wasnt happy about photographing drivers licence and sending that but did it any way, that wasnt enough they then wanted video and voice files sending, which is complete overkill on the verification process so decided not to do it. Now i find they have still taken the £10 and trying to contact them via their chat in the app is a nightmare, been waiting four hours now for a reply. Have seen people have waited days for a chat reply. I know £10 is probably not a lot to loose for some people but this verification process should be listed on your MSE website to warn people before they top up. have seen on your forums that there are other complaints about this company but you are still recommending it
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 9th Oct 18, 1:25 PM
    • 32,774 Posts
    • 20,642 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 9th Oct 18, 1:25 PM
    • 9th Oct 18, 1:25 PM
    Thought after looking on MSE that Revolut would be a good way of making sure our cash was safe while abroad. Downloaded the app, set up account and topped up £10, then it started asking for me to verfiy who i was. Wasnt happy about photographing drivers licence and sending that but did it any way, that wasnt enough they then wanted video and voice files sending, which is complete overkill on the verification process so decided not to do it. Now i find they have still taken the £10 and trying to contact them via their chat in the app is a nightmare, been waiting four hours now for a reply. Have seen people have waited days for a chat reply. I know £10 is probably not a lot to loose for some people but this verification process should be listed on your MSE website to warn people before they top up. have seen on your forums that there are other complaints about this company but you are still recommending it
    Originally posted by boopig
    Or just do the video, spend your £10 on what you wish and be on your merry way.
    • PRAISETHESUN
    • By PRAISETHESUN 9th Oct 18, 3:12 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    PRAISETHESUN
    • 9th Oct 18, 3:12 PM
    Of course you are going to have problems if you don't want to verify yourself... if you want to use their service you are going to have to agree to their terms.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Oct 18, 3:12 PM
    • 21,230 Posts
    • 17,051 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Is it really any worse than having to go into a branch to be verified for those banks that have branches?
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 9th Oct 18, 8:47 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    Ergates
    • 9th Oct 18, 8:47 PM
    • 9th Oct 18, 8:47 PM
    Worst case scenario - you've lost £10. I think "disaster" might be stretching it a bit.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 10th Oct 18, 6:22 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    OceanSound
    • 10th Oct 18, 6:22 AM
    • 10th Oct 18, 6:22 AM
    Now i find they have still taken the £10 and trying to contact them via their chat in the app is a nightmare, been waiting four hours now for a reply. Have seen people have waited days for a chat reply.
    Oh! Dear.
    You've done the right thing in warning others. Revolut lost my custom soon after they asked me for selfie with passport held next to face. (Unfortunately, it wasn't stated in the terms, so I could not agree to it). They are masters at 'making it up as they go along'.
    I know £10 is probably not a lot to loose for some people but this verification process should be listed on your MSE website to warn people before they top up.
    Actually, most posters here, calculate everything down to the penny. So any word to the contrary would be inauthentic.

Anyway, aside from access to the £10, think about the productivity (time) you've lost trying to contact their support. I had similar woes with Revolut (when I was a customer). Actually, having similar woes with the support team of meetcleo.com. Some fintech's seem to be overly focused on growing customer base without putting much attention to customer support. Revolut excels in this.
    Wasn't happy about photographing drivers licence and sending that but did it any way,..
    There's your first error. If something doesn't feel right. Don't do it. Always listen to your inner voice.
    I know £10 is probably not a lot to loose for some people but this verification process should be listed on your MSE website to warn people before they top up.
    MSE gets round this slight inconvenience by putting a small disclaimer (small print) at the bottom of the website to say 'none of the services we recommend have been tested by us, so we cannot guarantee anything'. By putting this they rid themselves of any legal (and reputational?) consequences.

Even regular posters like Valiantson have often criticized the MSE practice (in his case to do with open banking). I personally find it ironic that a business which prides itself in protecting the consumer, would lose this aim soon as the big bucks are dangled in front of their eyes. Seems to have happened after Martin left it in the ‘capable’ hands of moneysupermarket.

Anyway, moving forward, what you can do is ask to speak to a compliance manager (or manager of any kind) and request the funds are refunded back to source immediately. (that's what I did and funds were back in my bank account same day).

BTW, I know what you mean when you say 'disaster'. (I've been in the same shoes, so have a good idea).
    Last edited by OceanSound; 10-10-2018 at 6:38 AM.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 10th Oct 18, 6:46 AM
    • 9,594 Posts
    • 14,775 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 10th Oct 18, 6:46 AM
    • 10th Oct 18, 6:46 AM
    I've been using Revolut since it launched. I followed the verification process no probs (same too with Monzo and Starling), some people just aren't cut out for the 21st century.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 10th Oct 18, 7:44 AM
    • 3,955 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 10th Oct 18, 7:44 AM
    • 10th Oct 18, 7:44 AM
    Admittedly some time ago but when I applied, photo evidence and selfie photo and video was only required when the Revolut service was upgraded to higher limits. The only reason I didn't do that was that at that time Revolut did not provide a secure method of transmission of such ID documents and rather remarkably requested it to be sent by insecure email.

What makes me suspicious is not however financial services doing what they say they will do in the event of ID requirements. What makes me suspicious is the escalation of ID proof as I experienced with Monese. i.e. we provide what they ask for and they they want more. With Monese I reached the point of having to produce employment details and pay slips and if I did that I fully expected to have to produce a bank statement. It was at the point of employment details and pay slips that I cancelled my application to Monese!

Lastly, we should note that financial services, even pre-paid services by law have to verify identity but we should also note there is a borderline beyond which further Id is not necessary and is rather suspiciously data mining!
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 11th Oct 18, 6:12 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    OceanSound
    • 11th Oct 18, 6:12 AM
    • 11th Oct 18, 6:12 AM
    I've had/have accounts with Starling, monzo, monese. Never had any issues with ID verification.
    Seems all these people on here complaining about Revolut are inept for the 21st century

Have a look at:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5249833&highlight=fineco&page=58# 1141
    Revolut has NO customer support desk. No IT response team. No facility for getting in touch urgently by telephone or email so as to trigger a Support Ticket. Nothing. Instead, it has a. . .'Community Forum'. How twee.
    MSE carrying on though with its unqualified recommendation of Revolut -- because I certainly haven't read of anything to the contrary -- strikes me as another matter altogether.
    Last edited by OceanSound; 11-10-2018 at 6:16 AM.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 11th Oct 18, 9:01 AM
    • 6,934 Posts
    • 3,777 Thanks
    chattychappy
    Actually, most posters here, calculate everything down to the penny.
    Originally posted by OceanSound
    Indeed. Pedantry rules OK!

Wasnt happy about photographing drivers licence
    In this country, at least, it's a "Driving Licence"
    • obay
    • By obay 11th Oct 18, 9:14 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    obay
    I use revolut a lot.. it's a very good bank.. I'd recommend, them very good for trading currency and spending abroad, which I did.
    1/12/16 - £152,599.00
    11/11/17 - £145,990.00
    Two Credit agreements to pay off - £13653! (inc interest).
    Sofa (DFS) (0%)£923/£923 - Paid off 7th November - 2017
    Barclays Boiler (18.9%!)£3021.36/£3021.36 - Paid 14th September 2018!
    Barclays Car (5.99%)£0/£8,832.37
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 12th Oct 18, 11:14 AM
    • 3,955 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    Anthorn
    I use revolut a lot.. it's a very good bank.. I'd recommend, them very good for trading currency and spending abroad, which I did.
    Originally posted by obay
    Revolut is not a bank, it's a prepaid card which is regulated by the FCA under the electronic money regulations. As such there is no guarantee that your money is safe!
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 13th Oct 18, 8:59 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    OceanSound
    In this country, at least, it's a "Driving Licence"
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    It could be that boopig is from Canada (or has a lot of Canadian friends).
    Indeed. Pedantry rules OK!
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    Clearly not! when it comes to your periods (or full stops as you call it). e.g. ...it's a "Driving Licence". Can you see it?
    Last edited by OceanSound; 13-10-2018 at 9:05 AM.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 13th Oct 18, 4:07 PM
    • 6,934 Posts
    • 3,777 Thanks
    chattychappy
    Clearly not! when it comes to your periods (or full stops as you call it). e.g. ...it's a "Driving Licence". Can you see it?
    Indeed, I stand corrected. Talking of corrections:

Clearly not! When it comes to your periods (or full stops as you call it).
    Or:

Clearly not, when it comes to your periods (or full stops as you call it)!
    which avoids a sentence without a main verb...
    • T-G-C
    • By T-G-C 13th Oct 18, 8:25 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    T-G-C
    You cannot blame them, in a sense. There are criminals out there who thrive on services which have a low verification barrier and as such, companies like Monzo and Revolut have introduced more enhanced algorithms on their checks, some of which means sending photo or video.

Even Metro have done this with me, which is a bank. It is the more modern version of filtering out criminals, who produce fake documents, some of which can pass standard digital document validation checks.

There is no concern over sending a facial picture alongside ID, it will not be used other than for the purposes of crime prevention.

You come across as thinking it was a "cheek" for them to ask for ID, aside from the further checks. All companies handling monies are required, under numerous laws, to ensure that the customer is confirmed and appropriate checks have been carried out. The ID check is the most basic, the photo / video are enhanced to cover them further, if in doubt, whereas some do it on a permanent basis, like Monzo.

One example is Know Your Customer (referred to as KYC) which means PayPal, Monzo, Revolut, Sterling and thousands of other financial institutions are legally obliged to conduct checks, under both the enforced framework and additional decided by the individual business.

Some companies like PayPal will have a grace period for people to use their service instantly without waiting for documents to be processed, however there is a set point that they are required to do so. This "point" is set out under EU law and are known as Sending and Receiving limits, among other things like suspicious activities etc.

As for the funds, if the business are in doubt about the existing checks and you have not provided the additional, it is understandable for them to hold it, whether it be £1 or £1000.

I am not making a comment on the customer service side, however on a black and white level, Revolut have done nothing wrong in their KYC process and these sorts of enhanced checks are only going to become more widespread with time. Either wait for a response or complete their additional checks and continue using them without a problem. If refusing to do so, then it be at your leisure.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
    • guesswho2000
    • By guesswho2000 18th Oct 18, 2:49 PM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    guesswho2000
    Revolut have been invaluable for me, as I travel a lot and transfer money between countries (UK and Australia) very regularly.

My account had been suspended for source of funds checks twice now, most recently last weekend, but they’ve reactivated it literally within a few hours. I don’t really see the checks as unreasonable to be honest, given the sums involved, which are well into five figures.

It’s a bit tedious having to get the documentation together, but ultimately, if you can prove where you’re getting the money from (and that it’s legal obviously!) then it should be resolved fairly simply.

Never heard of the video or voice verification though. I have had to do the selfie with my ID thing, which I hated because I don’t like my photo being taken at the best of times!
    • T-G-C
    • By T-G-C 19th Oct 18, 2:44 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    T-G-C
    Revolut have been invaluable for me, as I travel a lot and transfer money between countries (UK and Australia) very regularly.

My account had been suspended for source of funds checks twice now, most recently last weekend, but theyíve reactivated it literally within a few hours. I donít really see the checks as unreasonable to be honest, given the sums involved, which are well into five figures.

Itís a bit tedious having to get the documentation together, but ultimately, if you can prove where youíre getting the money from (and that itís legal obviously!) then it should be resolved fairly simply.

Never heard of the video or voice verification though. I have had to do the selfie with my ID thing, which I hated because I donít like my photo being taken at the best of times!
    Originally posted by guesswho2000
    The financial institution isn't bothered about where the funds have come from, it is the legal requirements placed on them which enforce these random source of funds checks.

The most common trigger is an unusual inflation in account balance, for example consistently having between £100 and £1000 but then suddenly increase to having £3000 to £4000.

Other triggers include mismatch names on bank transfers, large transfers from personal bank accounts, transferring funds between your own multiple bank accounts with consistency and much more.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 19th Oct 18, 3:39 PM
    • 27,796 Posts
    • 11,278 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    I had the sam issue with them, they did the credit check which would have been all good. Accounts held for many years, Address for a long time also.

They wanted photo ID. Contacted them saying i don't have any photo ID. No problem they said send us a copy of your passport or photo driving licence.
    Contacted again and said no passport and my driving licence does not have a photo. No problem send us a copy of your citizenship ID card.
    WTF is a citizenship card?? This went on for a while with them not understanding that i dont have any photo ID and them asking for photo ID that they have in other countries.

Eventually they said OK topup £10 via your bank, this failed as it would not let me send £10 as it was over my limit. They said OK upped your limit yet it still failed with over limit errors.

After lots of messages back and forwards they finally said to uninstall the app and re-download it and it finally worked. Seems the limit was somehow linked to the app.

Good rates when buying items in euro's though, so it did take a while to sort not helped by them asking for photo ID after being repeatedly told i dont have photo ID and the UK does not use Citizen ID cards or whatever else they asked for.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

943Posts Today

7,469Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Today's twitter poll: Should the UK follow Canada and legalise cannabis for recreational purposes? Citizens there? https://t.co/W0wHo6mmm2

• Follow Martin