Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 28th Sep 18, 3:18 PM
    • 526Posts
    • 183Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    Tesco to trial paying customers who recycle 10p per plastic bottle - MSE News
    • 28th Sep 18, 3:18 PM
    0 WOW
    Tesco to trial paying customers who recycle 10p per plastic bottle - MSE News 28th Sep 18 at 3:18 PM
    Tesco has begun trialling in-store recycling machines which will pay customers 10p for every plastic bottle returned...
    Read the full story:
    'Tesco to trial paying customers who recycle 10p per plastic bottle'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 28th Sep 18, 4:17 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 512 Thanks
    wavelets
    • 28th Sep 18, 4:17 PM
    • 28th Sep 18, 4:17 PM
    The bottles will have to be up to 750ml in size and from Tesco or major brands such as Coca-Cola.
    So most of the bottles you can see in the embedded video will not be eligible.

Our local Tesco used to have a similar machine years ago. I think they paid 1 clubcard point for every bottle. They stopped it as they said it was no longer affordable, and accused customers of abusing the facility (it was not clear how customers were abusing it).

So if 1p per bottle was not affordable, how has 10p per bottle become affordable? Or have Tesco added 10p to the cost of every bottle for sale?
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 28th Sep 18, 4:45 PM
    • 4,570 Posts
    • 11,663 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 28th Sep 18, 4:45 PM
    • 28th Sep 18, 4:45 PM
    So most of the bottles you can see in the embedded video will not be eligible.

Our local Tesco used to have a similar machine years ago. I think they paid 1 clubcard point for every bottle. They stopped it as they said it was no longer affordable, and accused customers of abusing the facility (it was not clear how customers were abusing it).

So if 1p per bottle was not affordable, how has 10p per bottle become affordable? Or have Tesco added 10p to the cost of every bottle for sale?
    Originally posted by wavelets
    There used to be a recycling machine that gave you one green Clubcard point for every can that you recycled at our local Tesco but it was got rid of.

I do think that it's a step in the right direction though - I can never understand why we still have plastic wrapped multi packs - surely the technology is there so that is you buy a single can you're charged once price & if you buy a set multiple then you're charged another
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 28th Sep 18, 4:48 PM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    Roger1
    • 28th Sep 18, 4:48 PM
    • 28th Sep 18, 4:48 PM
    Would the company making this offer have any connection with the Tesco that offered 1, then 0.5 Clubcard points for aluminium cans (where the machines accepted Coca Cola cans but not Pepsi Cola cans)?

They stopped that, presumably because it was costing too much.

I wonder whether the PR value of this exercise will outlast the value.

(Cynic? Moi? )
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 28th Sep 18, 5:28 PM
    • 3,660 Posts
    • 3,900 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 28th Sep 18, 5:28 PM
    • 28th Sep 18, 5:28 PM
    One can only assume that a 10p increase in the price of a bottle of drink will fund this grand gesture, because I don't see Tesco doing anything that is likely to hit its profits. Either that, or they'll stick 1p on everything to cover the cost, and all customers, even those who don't buy drink in plastic bottles, will ultimately pay for this latest attempt at a PR exercise.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 28th Sep 18, 5:31 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    • 28th Sep 18, 5:31 PM
    • 28th Sep 18, 5:31 PM
    As they say you don't get something for nothing.

Somebody along the way always pays.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 28th Sep 18, 7:32 PM
    • 9,733 Posts
    • 7,170 Thanks
    Crabman
    • 28th Sep 18, 7:32 PM
    • 28th Sep 18, 7:32 PM
    This appears to be a PR stunt.

Tesco could instantly reinstate green clubcard points for using their existing network of recycling machines.

Remember when they issued green clubcard points for using a reusable bag at checkouts?

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• robin58
    • By robin58 28th Sep 18, 8:12 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    • 28th Sep 18, 8:12 PM
    • 28th Sep 18, 8:12 PM

Tesco could instantly reinstate green clubcard points for using their existing network of recycling machines.

Remember when they issued green clubcard points for using a reusable bag at checkouts?

Originally posted by Crabman
    True. I've seen a muddy field which was 'greener' than Tesco.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 29th Sep 18, 5:47 AM
    • 3,660 Posts
    • 3,900 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 29th Sep 18, 5:47 AM
    • 29th Sep 18, 5:47 AM

Originally posted by Crabman
    Some of us remember quadruple Green Shield Stamp days!
    • wymondham
    • By wymondham 29th Sep 18, 7:03 AM
    • 5,525 Posts
    • 10,260 Thanks
    wymondham
    Wow, what a new novel idea??!!! I used to collect bottles (ok so they were glass, but same principle!) when I was a kid to get money back from the newsagent. That's how I used to buy my matchbox cars!
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 29th Sep 18, 2:09 PM
    • 4,897 Posts
    • 4,599 Thanks
    dekaspace
    There used to be a recycling machine that gave you one green Clubcard point for every can that you recycled at our local Tesco but it was got rid of.

I do think that it's a step in the right direction though - I can never understand why we still have plastic wrapped multi packs - surely the technology is there so that is you buy a single can you're charged once price & if you buy a set multiple then you're charged another
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime

Yep same at mine, I used to stockpile cans and take like 100+ in at once even pick them off the streets for that extra few pence.

Now I live somewhere where a Asda and Morrisons is a little closer so not going to walk to Tesco to chuck a few bottles.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 29th Sep 18, 2:19 PM
    • 5,493 Posts
    • 18,390 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    No tesco near me so even if the nearest one was doing it, it still would not draw me to go there.

This kind of thing has to be nationwide with all plastic bottles being accepted at all outlets or it just won't work.
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 30th Sep 18, 9:28 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    So could i buy a multipack of coca cola a say farmfoods then cash in at tesco?

Not that it matters as i dont live anywhere near the trial stores
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 30th Sep 18, 11:52 AM
    • 40,206 Posts
    • 309,407 Thanks
    mjm3346
    I can never understand why we still have plastic wrapped multi packs - surely the technology is there so that is you buy a single can you're charged once price & if you buy a set multiple then you're charged another
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    It is easier (therefore cheaper) to handle/stack/carry/store multi packs than it is individual cans.
    Internet goodness £26574
    • VT82
    • By VT82 1st Oct 18, 12:07 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 877 Thanks
    VT82
    It is easier (therefore cheaper) to handle/stack/carry/store multi packs than it is individual cans.
    Originally posted by mjm3346
    I'm sure what was is proposed is already done in Spanish supermarkets though (at least for the cervezas that I've bought!).
    • zerog
    • By zerog 1st Oct 18, 9:19 PM
    • 2,416 Posts
    • 849 Thanks
    zerog
    So instead of recycling them at home I now have to bring bottles to Tesco. At least there's a higher chance they will actually get recycled now, since I suspect the council just dump our "recycling" bin into the regular rubbish.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 5th Oct 18, 1:26 PM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 13,325 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Yep same at mine, I used to stockpile cans and take like 100+ in at once even pick them off the streets for that extra few pence.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    I used to work with somebody who would raid all the bins in the works canteen for cans, take them home and then to Tesco as she was temping and on a tight budget. Some of us got wind of this and used to leave our cans in a carrier bag under her workstation - every little helps really was true in that case.

I'd have to go out of my way a bit for a Tesco so not for me.
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
    • MrsStepford
    • By MrsStepford 16th Oct 18, 2:19 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    MrsStepford
    Interesting, as we saved all our food and drink cans for a year and took them to the local scrapyard. For 25 kilos we got 2.50. So we just put them in council recycling now.

Ocado pays 5p for every supermarket single use bag, as they recycle them to make more Ocado bags. Most I've had is 85p knocked off final bill.

In the Auchan near Boulogne, there used to be a machine where you could get paid for recycling wine bottles. My father would save his wine bottles in the garage and when we went over he would get enough for coffees.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Oct 18, 9:43 PM
    • 66,224 Posts
    • 389,096 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I'd just stick my occasional bottle in the regular recycling bin .... nobody wants to go faffing about getting the right bottle, having it with you, going over to some machine ..... when there's a perfectly good recycling bin in the garden that you can toss them into and forget.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 19th Oct 18, 8:11 AM
    • 5,493 Posts
    • 18,390 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    If you live in Leeds there is a centre car park that will give you 20p a bottle off the price of your parking so double the return from Tesco and you can use any bottle as long as it is over 500ml
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

101Posts Today

1,388Users online

Martin's Twitter