My Great Plan C.

R1chP
R1chP Posts: 26 Forumite
edited 16 September 2019 at 8:41PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Hi folks, long time lurker starting my MFW diary to motivate myself if this plan fails it will be Plan D, overpay as much as I can to clear mortgage and reduce hours or go part time by the time I'm 60.

I'm 57, single bloke with no dependants.

Plan A was to walk out of job and force myself to look for another (but don't want to put my house at risk).

Plan B is bite the bullet and carry on overpaying £100 a month.

Plan C is cash in an old private pension to clear mortgage and go on a 3 day week.
I have an appointment with Pension wise next week to see if I can draw down some money over two tax years and avoid 40% tax hit and be mortgage free by April 2019:T.

Outstanding mortgage is £38k and 14 years left to pay.

I started a thread in "Pensions section" with a bit more detail.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5896005

My "to do list" before I reduce hours is:

[STRIKE]Find an IFA.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]New Sofa.
[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]Pay off mortgage.[/STRIKE]

Decorate and carpet Living Room and Hall/Stairs.

[STRIKE]Replace 2 garden sheds with a workshop shed.[/STRIKE]

Update my Will.

Bye for now.

Comments

• R1chP
    A reminder to myself:

According to the Overpayment Calculator I will have saved £10k in interest by over paying £100 a month.
    £16k saved with Plan C.:j
  • Wishing you well. I've just gone down to a 4 day week and it makes a big difference :)
    I like your plan C. Life is short. Go for it.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • R1chP
    Thanks doingitanyway.

Sofa ordered.

Booked a free hour appointment with a local IFA.
  • Good luck, I am in a similar situation in that I was hoping to start a job that took me neatly into paying off the mortgage and retirement but 2 years in and I hate it.

I am 4 yrs away from my pension and would be happy with a nicer job so am looking. If I find the next one is pants aswell I will look to sell an asset to tide me over until my pension matures.

I plan to do a lot of things in retirement and selling assets is not what I want to do nor is using my pension to clear the mortgage tbh but neither is staying in a horrible job part of the plan either.
  • Exciting times, enjoy the journey!
  • R1chP
    Seen IFA.
    The advice is pay off chunk of mortgage with the tax free portion of old pension and most of my savings leaving about £10k to pay off over a year or two.
    He will set up a new flexi draw down pension with what is left. So I will still have an emergency/shed fund. :cool:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    R1chP wrote: »
    Seen IFA.
    The advice is pay off chunk of mortgage with the tax free portion of old pension and most of my savings leaving about £10k to pay off over a year or two.
    He will set up a new flexi draw down pension with what is left. So I will still have an emergency/shed fund. :cool:

Sounds ok :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • R1chP
    Flexi-Access Drawdown pension has now been set up by IFA.

£19k tax free lump sum transferred to my bank account today, so I rang up The Halifax and made a £22k mortgage overpayment :eek: bringing my outstanding mortgage to £14k.

I've transferred £8k from NS&I Direct ISA back to my Current Account to use as overpayment when it appears, so by Monday my mortgage should be down to £6k:j .

Hopefully mortgage free by this time next year.
  • R1chP
    Paid the £8k off via online banking, despite the lady on the phone saying Friday's £22k payment would be instant, it still hasn't left my account yet.

Can't wait to see my mortgage account updated. Fingers crossed until then.
  • upwards
    upwards Posts: 44 Forumite
    bowser well done!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills