False advertising or not?

Hi everybody, hope your all enjoying your Sunday.

bit of a problem, myself and my other half have a new arrival, we booked a holiday Xmas time and said for my birthday we will go away to Cornwall as a first family holiday in September 18, it would be 2 adults, 1 infant and a small dog, pets all accepted, we booked and all was great, come to June time we was sent and email from the booking company, on the email it stated that pets couldn't be left alone in the property or go on furniture, which took us by surprise, and didn't expect that, it's now coming up for time to go and having had another email stating the same thing we started to question it, so we rang up to inquire about this "no pets should be left alone" to of which they said they have had multiple complaints about this and to be then told that they can be left in a "cage" which again has changed from not being left to being left but in a cage, now this is where it gets abit technical, on their website it says pets allowed, and that's it, nothing stating they cant be left etc until you are about to pay for the holiday, which will be in the fine fine print, they wont give us a refund if we cancel due to this, as trying to get some one to look after the dog on short notice insn't easy plus its totally ruined it for us now reading that and then being told all this information that no refund and there is nothing we can do.

So where do we stand with this, is this normal practice for such holidays? Are we being ripped off/to shy with them? Does any one have any advice on how to go about this? Is this a genuine case of misleading information or hiding information?

PS it's over 7 hours away from our house, with 9 week old baby so don't want to go and sit inside all week because we can't leave the dog alone.

Many thanks
James

Comments

• This tends to be standard in most holiday cottages I've stayed in (over 20 year period with many different companies).

However, going on holiday with your dog doesn't mean you have to sit inside with it, there are many, many places you can take dogs. You just have to plan accordingly.
    Whereabouts in Cornwall are you staying? There's many dog-friendly places.
  • Thank you for your reply.

We are going to Falmouth, I haven't been on holiday since I was little so abit unsure on these things. We would like to do normal things e.g Museums and shops and restaurants. Done abit of research on the area but still unsure, on places that dogs can go and can't go.
  • Thank you for your reply.

We are going to Falmouth, I haven't been on holiday since I was little so abit unsure on these things. We would like to do normal things e.g Museums and shops and restaurants. Done abit of research on the area but still unsure, on places that dogs can go and can't go.

You'll be fine in Falmouth. Tons of dogs - visitors and locals, alike.
    Some shops are fine with you going in with a dog, as are cafes and pubs. If in doubt, just ask.
    Trebah Garden just outside Falmouth is very dog friendly. Just keep it on a lead and it can go everywhere.

If you fancy venturing further afield, the best dog-friendly town is Porthleven. Lots of places to eat, nice harbour, galleries. Not great for a beach, though (too much shingle and not very safe).

St Ives is also quite dog friendly.

Museums might be a bit more of a problem. Best to check websites or call first if you have specific ones in mind.

Lots of beaches are dog friendly. Some have time restrictions (like only after 7pm). https://www.cornwall-beaches.co.uk/dog-friendly
  • Brilliant, thank you for the info, greatly appreciated.
  • Another place dogs are welcome on a lead and good for a little one ...
    http://www.flickafoundation.org.uk
    Cute place, loads of donkeys. No fee, just a donation into the box. Nice cafe, too.

Some of the many boat trips/ferries around Falmouth also take dogs.
    https://www.falriver.co.uk/getting-about/ferries
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Dogs can become upset being left in a strange place and become destructive or noisy.

In 40 years of holidaying with my dogs I have never considered leaving them alone in the property.

When we holidayed in Cornwall there were places advertising daycare for dogs for days you wanted to visit somewhere that dogs were not allowed.
    Holiday cottages sometimes have details in their guest information.

Any restrictions on dogs are usually written in the terms and conditions.

There is often a difference between pets accepted and pets welcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure