Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DD265
    • By DD265 15th Sep 18, 4:47 PM
    • 1,457Posts
    • 3,281Thanks
    DD265
    What's your must have/nice to have/won't touch list
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:47 PM
    What's your must have/nice to have/won't touch list 15th Sep 18 at 4:47 PM
    When buying a property, budget and geographical location aside, how did/would you narrow down your search?

We're trying to compile a list which we can refine as we view properties, and I'm sure there are things that we haven't thought of!

For example, prospective houses for us must have off-road parking. A dining kitchen would be nice to have. We won't/can't take on a non-livable project as we don't have the money to completely gut a place straight away.
Page 1
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 15th Sep 18, 4:52 PM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 5,663 Thanks
    Spidernick
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:52 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:52 PM
    I don't think I would ever buy a house with the bathroom next to the kitchen (which you do see) for hygiene reasons.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 15th Sep 18, 4:55 PM
    • 3,243 Posts
    • 4,664 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:55 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:55 PM
    Do you have/intend to have children? If so, I would suggest that a 2nd loo, preferably downstairs, should be on your 'must have' list.

For us, it was at least 2 loos and a separate utility room (cat litter tray for the use of).

.... and I've just realised that I sound obsessed with bodily functions !
    • AFF8879
    • By AFF8879 15th Sep 18, 5:59 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    AFF8879
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:59 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:59 PM
    For me personally....no open plan, a kitchen diner is fine but NEED a separate living room!
    • boliston
    • By boliston 15th Sep 18, 6:14 PM
    • 2,774 Posts
    • 2,327 Thanks
    boliston
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:14 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:14 PM
    i think i prefer combined living room & kitchen as easier to keep an eye on the cooking (pans boliing over etc), not really bothered about parking as no plans to buy any cars and parking can add up to £20k to the price of a property (possibly even more in london)
    • -taff
    • By -taff 15th Sep 18, 6:22 PM
    • 7,764 Posts
    • 6,139 Thanks
    -taff
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:22 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:22 PM
    Outside or driveway parking, garage and garden.
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 15th Sep 18, 6:35 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 1,318 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:35 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:35 PM
    Garden, solid walls, parking (or a garden plenty large enough for a council to approve driveway), room for improvement, cornershop nearby, walkable to a station.
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 15th Sep 18, 6:39 PM
    • 1,850 Posts
    • 2,351 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:39 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:39 PM
    Must have - certain size or bigger rooms (we have a specification for each room, but essentially it's 4m x 4m for the living room and master bed). Garden of a certain size or bigger, off road parking or potential for it. Potential for large kitchen and utility room and downstairs loo. Project.

Nice to have - utility room, large kitchen, downstairs loo, off road parking already in place. 2nd bathroom. Garage.

Won't touch - subsidence, external wall needing full replacement, Small dark rooms, main road, motorway noise near by.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Sep 18, 6:40 PM
    • 17,124 Posts
    • 43,158 Thanks
    elsien
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:40 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 6:40 PM
    Given my miniscule budget and lack of affordable options, I went with somewhere I couldn't hear every move the neighbours made through the walls.
    And some outside space for the dog. That was pretty much it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 15th Sep 18, 6:46 PM
    • 59,781 Posts
    • 53,120 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Houses can be reconfigured. The plots they sit on can't. Decent sized garden for us for important. Current state wasn't key.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 15th Sep 18, 6:46 PM
    • 2,808 Posts
    • 4,592 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Must haves - at least 3 bedrooms, garage, excellent broadband, garden.

Nice to haves - 4 bedrooms, more than one loo, detached

Wouldn't touch - mid-terrace (can cope with one neighbour, but not two!!).

When we were looking for the house we're currently in, we view 3 on the same day, all around the same price. The first two were 'turnkey' properties, all ready to move into - but tiny. The last one was a rambling house over 4 floors, with an attic and a basement, 4 bedrooms, two bathrooms, lots of original features, and a double garage. But it needed a lot doing to it.

That's the one we bought, and we spent 3 years doing it up. I reckon we've spent about £50,000 on doing it up (full rewire, new kitchen and bathrooms, remodelled the garden), but we've increased the value by about £100,000. Don't be in too much of a hurry to discount the 'doer uppers' - you don't have to do it all at once, and that's where the potential for making money lies.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 15th Sep 18, 6:51 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 3,281 Thanks
    DD265
    Must haves - at least 3 bedrooms, garage, excellent broadband, garden.

Nice to haves - 4 bedrooms, more than one loo, detached

Wouldn't touch - mid-terrace (can cope with one neighbour, but not two!!).
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    For a second I thought you were my husband, except the broadband would've been first on his list.
    • Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 15th Sep 18, 7:02 PM
    • 1,728 Posts
    • 4,408 Thanks
    Mobeer
    Must: Parking, transport links, broadband
    Nice: Shower, space
    Won't Touch: Bathroom by kitchen, major work needed
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 15th Sep 18, 7:03 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 2,173 Thanks
    parkrunner
    Indoor swimming pool for the winter and outdoor pool for summer.
    • jonnygee2
    • By jonnygee2 15th Sep 18, 7:31 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    jonnygee2
    Must have: Separate kitchen/diner, outdoor space, quiet (good soundproofing if there are people next door / above), lots of storage space, bath, hallway (absolutely hate places where the front door opens into the lounge!).

Also, as I'm London, has to be less than 5 minutes walk to a zone 2 station.

Nice to have: Built in wardrobes, (or lots of space for them), south facing

Won't touch: Places with small windows or dark rooms. Kitchens which are part of the lounge. Anything with a lot of damp where I can't see the cause or how to fix it.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 15th Sep 18, 7:32 PM
    • 4,856 Posts
    • 7,215 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Driveway that goes down the side of the house that is not shared with next door. It gives the option of putting in a garage if you want one eventually. Off street parking with no driveway down the side doesn't.

Good sized garden not a small overlooked one.

At least 3 bedrooms.

Semi or detached not terraced or end of terrace.

Walking distance to a food shop so that you don't have to get in the car to buy bread and milk.

Walking distance to a station and a bus route.
    • rosyw
    • By rosyw 15th Sep 18, 8:04 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    rosyw
    Must have: Decent sized garden, detached, parking, garage (for storage) ALL mains services as I'd had enough of oil heating, septic tank drainage etc! Large rooms. Utility. Shops within walking distance.

Nice to have: En suite, kitchen diner.

Won't touch: On a busy road, no front garden, needs a lot of work.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 15th Sep 18, 8:23 PM
    • 1,881 Posts
    • 2,704 Thanks
    FreeBear
    Must have - A real chimney, either with an open fire or a stove. Big garage & off road parking. Large garden.

Nice to have - A cellar. would love a big one.... Oh, and somewhere for the servants to sleep.

Won't touch anything under a flight path, on a busy road, or crowded neighbourhood. Would also reject anything close to a church or other religious establishment.

A project home would be OK, so I keep an eye on Wreck of the Week just in case... But to be honest, I've got my hands full with this place and would need to sell before contemplating a move.
    Last edited by FreeBear; 16-09-2018 at 1:00 AM.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Sep 18, 8:26 PM
    • 26,126 Posts
    • 94,830 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Our must haves were: open aspect, 1acre+ land, outbuildings and privacy, roughly in that order.

On our budget, we didn't expect or get a house that was acceptable in many respects, but fixing it was straightforward because it was modern. We'd not have taken-on a period rebuild.

If I could add a nice-to-have, it would be a walled garden or a small river / big pond.
    I might be old, but I got to see a lot of good bands...
    • Morbier
    • By Morbier 15th Sep 18, 8:27 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Morbier
    Definitely go with the indoor swimming pool. This IS a dream list, isn't it? Oh and no neighbours within five miles. And while I'm at it, a field full of sheep next door.
    I can't imagine a life without cheese. (Nigel Slater).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,851Posts Today

9,183Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin