Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 15th Sep 18, 12:03 PM
    • 1,730Posts
    • 629Thanks
    sevenhills
    Lump Sum Death Grant
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:03 PM
    Lump Sum Death Grant 15th Sep 18 at 12:03 PM
    I am with the West Yorkshire pension fund and have a form to fill in for a death grant.
    Would this death grant be over and above my pension.i am trying to think who I should name.
    I am unmarried with one daughter. I am 56 and my daughter would get my house, but as I am single with older siblings, I guess my daughter should be the intended recipient.

Page 1
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 15th Sep 18, 1:12 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    Marcon
    • 15th Sep 18, 1:12 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 1:12 PM
    You might find it useful to read the full info about this on your scheme's website: http://www.wypf.org.uk/Member/Pensioner/AllAboutMyPension/PensionerDeathBenefits/PensionerDeathBenefits.aspx
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 15th Sep 18, 1:27 PM
    • 3,432 Posts
    • 5,065 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 15th Sep 18, 1:27 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 1:27 PM
    This is the LGPS.

A one-off lump sum death grant (which is over and above any dependants pension due) is only payable if you were to die either before retirement, or within 10 years of starting to draw your pension. In the case of the latter, the death grant is 10 x your annual pension minus pension already paid, so the closer you get to the 10 year point the less it would be.

You may nominate anyone - including a charity - if you so wish. Do you have grandchildren? If not, then your daughter is the most logical nominee. Remember that you can change your nominee(s) as many times as you like should your circumstances/wishes change.

The big advantage of the death grant is that it doesn't form part of the deceased's estate. It's paid directly to the nominated beneficiary without the need for probate etc. Speaking from a selfish point of view (as a retired LGPS administrator) it makes things much easier for the LGPS if there's a valid, preferably recent, nomination form on record in the event of a death. And making things clearer and easier for the LGPS equals faster payment of the death grant.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 17-09-2018 at 7:22 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

97Posts Today

2,199Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin