PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Choosing a removal company.

Options
Hello everyone.

I'd like people's opinions/experiences of removal companies. I don't know whether to choose an international chain fellah or an independent?

I've had 3 quotes. They came round, looked at my stuff etc, emailed me their prices.

1 - Big company. £1000 inc packing service, £800 without.
2 - Local independent. £1070 inc packing, £780 without.
3 - A guy a couple of my friends have used and would recommend. Turned out to be a 'man with a van'. £250. No insurance etc. So he's a no.

Both guys (1+2) seemed decent to me, professional + polite etc. Both have insurance. Neither would offer a discount for cash :( The only difference between them is that the local guy would be 3 men in 2 vans, the big co would be 2 men in 1 big truck.

So how do people choose when the prices are so close? What else do you take into consideration?
The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Will they be able to hang around if you don't get your keys straightaway?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Options
    Good point, I didn't ask that. I think it should be ok though, it's an empty ex-rental and the EA has the keys :)
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • littleredhen
    Options
    I would use local company good to give business locally if they are competitive on price and service
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    Options
    We moved recently. I got a few quotes and then looked at the reviews. I picked one which was local, an old family business and had nearly all 5* reviews.

They offered extras such as big padded bags for furniture and television. They were t the cheapest but they did an excellent job, everything went like clockwork.

Do your research and don't necessarily go for the cheapest.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    If you can possibly afford it, pay the extra for the removal company to do the packing.

They can pack an entire house in 1/2 a day, which is worth the money in itself - but more importantly if something gets damaged and they've done the packing, their insurance will pay up automatically. If you've done the packing yourself, you have to prove that they were negligent.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    Options
    I had quotes recently - three local and three big firms - we dismissed one of the local firms out of hand as they were basic man and a van and no insurance, another local one charged a fortune for insurance and said they couldn't guarantee we wouldn't need another van and if we did we would have to pay for it at rather a large fee {in which case why bother to have a quote} , the third local one was fine but rather expensive. Of the three big firms - two were very expensive and the other was not the cheapest but listened to what we said about a couple of pieces of furniture we have and how they needed caring for and wrote it on the quote. They were a large but local firm and the representative made us feel very confident in them. We provisionally booked them before exchange and once we exchanged made a firm booking. We then needed to change that by a day and there was no charge.

So basically we went for not expensive but not the cheapest and the one we felt we trusted the most.
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    The only advice I'd give is check that if the companies are members of a professional association check on the association's website that they actually are.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,508 Forumite
    Options
    Good point, I didn't ask that. I think it should be ok though, it's an empty ex-rental and the EA has the keys :)

So was ours [empty] but the EA wouldn't give us the keys util the money had been sent and confirmed by solicitors, and since that was delayed, we ended up with our possessions outside on the drive cvered with a tarp during the rain waiting on the doorstep for two hours while the faffing about occurred.
    The EA will not give you the keys until everything has been finalised.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used "Any Van" as they were on Zoopla and quoted a lot less than other firms. I would not however recommend them. I thought I had them booked for a certain time, but turns out you don't actually get them from that time, they just turn up when they have finished the previous job. I was fortunate in that I already had the keys and had been decorating here. You are also not guaranteed to get removal people who speak English! The guys that came to mine were Romanian, which is not an issue, however their limited English was. If I could make the choice again, I would probably pay more and go with a professional company who packs as well.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would definitely go with your gut feeling; I should have with our last move. The one before that went like clockwork; they packed in a fraction of the time it would have take us and did it much better than we could have as they had all the right materials and years of know-how between them, were courteous and helpful; everything was great.

The last move, we did everything wrong even though we knew better but circumstances were against us, big-time. Even so, we (I) should have known better. OH just panicked.

If you possibly can, get the removers to pack for you; it saves a world of hassle and increases your insurance cover (any breakages come out of theirs, not yours with all the extra care that implies)

I would definitely go with one of the big firms if you can or, if you choose a local one, research them to death. Ask around colleagues/whoever for recommendations and, whatever you do, pay the deposit as soon as you make a decision. That way, you cannot be shafted at the last moment and fobbed off on to another firm; one which you had discarded while obtaining quotes. Yeah. :o

Pretty much everything that could go wrong, did. Please learn from our mistakes and I wish you luck with your move. You know you get what you pay for, right? Let us know how you get on?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure