Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 14th Sep 18, 6:55 PM
    • 486Posts
    • 655Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    Choosing a removal company.
    • 14th Sep 18, 6:55 PM
    Choosing a removal company. 14th Sep 18 at 6:55 PM
    Hello everyone.

I'd like people's opinions/experiences of removal companies. I don't know whether to choose an international chain fellah or an independent?

I've had 3 quotes. They came round, looked at my stuff etc, emailed me their prices.

1 - Big company. £1000 inc packing service, £800 without.
    2 - Local independent. £1070 inc packing, £780 without.
    3 - A guy a couple of my friends have used and would recommend. Turned out to be a 'man with a van'. £250. No insurance etc. So he's a no.

Both guys (1+2) seemed decent to me, professional + polite etc. Both have insurance. Neither would offer a discount for cash The only difference between them is that the local guy would be 3 men in 2 vans, the big co would be 2 men in 1 big truck.

So how do people choose when the prices are so close? What else do you take into consideration?
    I don't make the same mistake twice. I like to make it 5 or 6 times, you know, just to be sure.

Look before you leap. No I mean really look. And take a friend so they can look too. Then leap. Maybe.
Page 1
    • -taff
    • By -taff 14th Sep 18, 7:16 PM
    • 8,721 Posts
    • 8,096 Thanks
    -taff
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:16 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:16 PM
    Will they be able to hang around if you don't get your keys straightaway?
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 14th Sep 18, 7:35 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:35 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:35 PM
    Good point, I didn't ask that. I think it should be ok though, it's an empty ex-rental and the EA has the keys
    I don't make the same mistake twice. I like to make it 5 or 6 times, you know, just to be sure.

Look before you leap. No I mean really look. And take a friend so they can look too. Then leap. Maybe.
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 14th Sep 18, 7:40 PM
    • 3,092 Posts
    • 3,342 Thanks
    littleredhen
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:40 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:40 PM
    I would use local company good to give business locally if they are competitive on price and service
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesnít work unless itís open.

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 14th Sep 18, 8:26 PM
    • 4,068 Posts
    • 8,034 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:26 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:26 PM
    We moved recently. I got a few quotes and then looked at the reviews. I picked one which was local, an old family business and had nearly all 5* reviews.

They offered extras such as big padded bags for furniture and television. They were t the cheapest but they did an excellent job, everything went like clockwork.

Do your research and don't necessarily go for the cheapest.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 14th Sep 18, 8:44 PM
    • 3,042 Posts
    • 4,903 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:44 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:44 PM
    If you can possibly afford it, pay the extra for the removal company to do the packing.

They can pack an entire house in 1/2 a day, which is worth the money in itself - but more importantly if something gets damaged and they've done the packing, their insurance will pay up automatically. If you've done the packing yourself, you have to prove that they were negligent.
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 14th Sep 18, 8:46 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    TamsinC
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:46 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:46 PM
    I had quotes recently - three local and three big firms - we dismissed one of the local firms out of hand as they were basic man and a van and no insurance, another local one charged a fortune for insurance and said they couldn't guarantee we wouldn't need another van and if we did we would have to pay for it at rather a large fee {in which case why bother to have a quote} , the third local one was fine but rather expensive. Of the three big firms - two were very expensive and the other was not the cheapest but listened to what we said about a couple of pieces of furniture we have and how they needed caring for and wrote it on the quote. They were a large but local firm and the representative made us feel very confident in them. We provisionally booked them before exchange and once we exchanged made a firm booking. We then needed to change that by a day and there was no charge.

So basically we went for not expensive but not the cheapest and the one we felt we trusted the most.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 14th Sep 18, 9:01 PM
    • 4,178 Posts
    • 10,663 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:01 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:01 PM
    The only advice I'd give is check that if the companies are members of a professional association check on the association's website that they actually are.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • -taff
    • By -taff 15th Sep 18, 12:13 AM
    • 8,721 Posts
    • 8,096 Thanks
    -taff
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:13 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:13 AM
    Good point, I didn't ask that. I think it should be ok though, it's an empty ex-rental and the EA has the keys
    Originally posted by YoungBlueEyes

So was ours [empty] but the EA wouldn't give us the keys util the money had been sent and confirmed by solicitors, and since that was delayed, we ended up with our possessions outside on the drive cvered with a tarp during the rain waiting on the doorstep for two hours while the faffing about occurred.
    The EA will not give you the keys until everything has been finalised.
    • datlex
    • By datlex 16th Sep 18, 1:37 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 1,724 Thanks
    datlex
    I used "Any Van" as they were on Zoopla and quoted a lot less than other firms. I would not however recommend them. I thought I had them booked for a certain time, but turns out you don't actually get them from that time, they just turn up when they have finished the previous job. I was fortunate in that I already had the keys and had been decorating here. You are also not guaranteed to get removal people who speak English! The guys that came to mine were Romanian, which is not an issue, however their limited English was. If I could make the choice again, I would probably pay more and go with a professional company who packs as well.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 16th Sep 18, 3:29 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,506 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I would definitely go with your gut feeling; I should have with our last move. The one before that went like clockwork; they packed in a fraction of the time it would have take us and did it much better than we could have as they had all the right materials and years of know-how between them, were courteous and helpful; everything was great.

The last move, we did everything wrong even though we knew better but circumstances were against us, big-time. Even so, we (I) should have known better. OH just panicked.

If you possibly can, get the removers to pack for you; it saves a world of hassle and increases your insurance cover (any breakages come out of theirs, not yours with all the extra care that implies)

I would definitely go with one of the big firms if you can or, if you choose a local one, research them to death. Ask around colleagues/whoever for recommendations and, whatever you do, pay the deposit as soon as you make a decision. That way, you cannot be shafted at the last moment and fobbed off on to another firm; one which you had discarded while obtaining quotes. Yeah.

Pretty much everything that could go wrong, did. Please learn from our mistakes and I wish you luck with your move. You know you get what you pay for, right? Let us know how you get on?
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 16th Sep 18, 7:00 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    Thanks all for the helpful replies. I don't think it'll be too long now 'til we're out of here, and I'll definitely come back and update

• Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 17th Sep 18, 5:59 AM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,506 Thanks
    Smodlet
    YoungBlueEyes, love your signature.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 17th Sep 18, 6:51 AM
    • 265 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    Beware any company that gives you a quote (rather than an estimate) without a home visit.

We used Mr Shifter. Not the cheapest (£1300) but their packing service was second to none, and this price included two vehicles and the attendant crew (because our street could not accommodate a single large vehicle).
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 17th Sep 18, 8:20 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    Thanks Smodlet! It's from a fridge magnet my friend gave me (cheeky cow that she is) and it always makes me smile

I said quote but perhaps they are estimates, I'll have to check. Possibly two smaller vans would be easier than a big Kidds truck - the road outside the house is only a skinny wee thing...

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,271Posts Today

8,933Users online

Martin's Twitter